iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Super Tech bar and chain oil for winter

Started by North to Alaska, April 17, 2021, 12:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North to Alaska

Just thought I would let you know my "review" of Super Tech (Walmart) bar and chain oil. It makes a great winter grade oil. It's super thin and works great here in cold Alaska winter. I won't use it for the summer though. If you are looking for a winter grade oil that is cheap, I would try it. No fussing with kerosene etc.

Just my $.02 worth
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

MakitaDolmar

Good to know.  I accidentally used some thinner winter grade stuff (think it was Jonserd) recently and it ran out wayyyy before the fuel tank.  My normal temps go to is Tractor Supply cheapo at $7.99 a gallon.
Current Fleet:
Dolmar 111i
Makita DCS 540
Poulan 1800
Tanaka TCS33EDTP

kantuckid

RK has the best price bar oil! I find that summer weight bar oil gets warm real fast once the saws been on a bit but I'm not next door to a glacier either. ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

MakitaDolmar

Quote from: kantuckid on April 24, 2021, 01:30:11 PM
RK has the best price bar oil! I find that summer weight bar oil gets warm real fast once the saws been on a bit but I'm not next door to a glacier either. ;D
I wish I had one closer than 1.5 hours away though...what an awesome store
Current Fleet:
Dolmar 111i
Makita DCS 540
Poulan 1800
Tanaka TCS33EDTP

barbender

I don't think anyone in the vicinity of the Mason-Dixon line ever needs winter weight bar oil😊
Too many irons in the fire

lxskllr

Maybe not *need* in the absolute sense, but summer oil gets pretty snotty when it gets cold out. I don't think it's thick enough to harm the oil pump, but it makes it a hassle to deal with.

I was looking at RuralKing's website. They have 2.5G Cam2 bar oil for ~$8.50. That's a fantastic price, but there's no stores near me.

kantuckid

I used summer weight oil for last 9 months, works just fine. Below freezing much I'm in my shop with the heat on as I'm not making a living at anything-my days of "clocking in" are 20 years past.
RK has a crummy website. Like I said they have lots of $5.95 bar oil. Ther only way you really know what they have is to go there or call them. FWIW, the Harvest King motor oil they carry are VG, high quality oils. 2gal jugs of HD diesel engine Full Syn oil is good stuff.
8)Now we got ourselves a genuine oil thread!  8)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

thecfarm

I just play with firewood now for myself.
I keep a gallon jug of oil on the shelf of the OWB. Most times it will stay warm enough by the time I come back to the house. Sometimes I don't even bring the jug with me. One fill of oil is good for 2 fills of gas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!