iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone one know when these bottles were in use?

Started by HemlockKing, May 24, 2021, 10:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Found this under a 50+ year old tree stump I'm digging up, was lodged into hard clay next to the tap root. A quick google search show bottles alike but not much on this particular one. I'm
Thinking 1970ish? I believe wishing well was a mainly Canadian soda/pop
A1

chestnut

I agree it looks like a returnable soda bottle from the 70's. It was worth 5 cents then.  Never saw the brand though.

mike_belben

still only worth 5 cents.  dang. youd think 50 yrs would gain some interest. 

;D
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Never saw the brand up here in NB. There was a scheme one time where you returned pop bottles for refills. The Pop Shoppe I believe. Bottles looked like round beer bottle stubbies. They are only in Ontario now I think. They disappeared around here in the 80's due to poor sales. It was expensive pop compared to a Coke or Sussex ginger ale.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

It's also only in OZ no ML, Canada moved to metric 1975 , so it would of indicated ml or at least both after that date 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on May 24, 2021, 03:31:58 PM
still only worth 5 cents.  dang. youd think 50 yrs would gain some interest.

;D
Sort of. At a bottle depot. Apparently people will pay 20-40$(cad) for these guys. I’m keeping mine. On a shelf it goes. ;D
A1

HemlockKing

It’s tough glass I gave it a good jab with a shovel before I realized it wasn’t clay  :D . Quality for sure
A1

Don P

Before plastic took over those returnable bottles took a beating. A pretty large section of the bottling plants was the washing area. Streator IL was the capitol of glass bottle making, we built a couple of houses there. It shrank dramatically when the throw aways came in. Bottles were 2 cents when I was a kid. It was about a mile to the country store that had drinks, candy and worms. We kept the ditches cleared on the way to the store.

Old Greenhorn

I did some googling around and that bottle may be earlier, possibly 60's or before. I found pricing on similar bottles in good clear condition ranging from 3.95 (US) to 50 bucks.
 DO some research before you decide. I see some of the caps from those can bring more than the bottle.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 24, 2021, 04:46:04 PM
Never saw the brand up here in NB. There was a scheme one time where you returned pop bottles for refills. The Pop Shoppe I believe. Bottles looked like round beer bottle stubbies. They are only in Ontario now I think. They disappeared around here in the 80's due to poor sales. It was expensive pop compared to a Coke or Sussex ginger ale.
The Pop Shoppe was based in London Ont. Their pop was cheaper than the name brands and had great flavours that you could mix and match in the red plastic crates they were sold in. The company suffered when cheap no name pop in cans started flooding the market in the 80's. The brand was ressurrected about 10 years ago in Mississauga as a premium brand. The new company worked hard to recreate the unique original flavours. Brings back a lot of great memories.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

hedgerow

I have never seen that brand but the glass return bottles in the lift the lid and slide the bottle along the rails were in the sixty's and early seventy's in my area. We had a local Pepsi bottler so that was the main brand in my area. I think my folks went to cans and fountain pop in the mid seventy's in there truck stop, filling station. Seeing that bottle brings back good memory's of the good old days. 

HemlockKing

All this talk of cream soda had me craving one. Pop shoppe! 

A1

Resonator

QuoteIt's tough glass I gave it a good jab with a shovel before I realized it wasn't clay   . Quality for sure
Back in 1984 we toured the local Pepsi bottler as a grade school class, it was then still at least 50% glass bottles for the product sales. It was definitely tough glass, as they would stack the cases of bottles on top of each other, at least 20' high in the warehouse. Also to think how many times they were filled, sold, drank, returned, cleaned, refilled, resold, drank... etc.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Don P on May 24, 2021, 05:52:04 PM
Before plastic took over those returnable bottles took a beating. A pretty large section of the bottling plants was the washing area. Streator IL was the capitol of glass bottle making, we built a couple of houses there. It shrank dramatically when the throw aways came in. Bottles were 2 cents when I was a kid. It was about a mile to the country store that had drinks, candy and worms. We kept the ditches cleared on the way to the store.
:D :D
The Green Thing - YouTube    
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

It's a shame that I can only like yours and theirs once, but it's freakin hilarious (and true) ! ! ! ! 
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 26, 2021, 09:17:36 AM
Quote from: Don P on May 24, 2021, 05:52:04 PM
:D :D
The Green Thing - YouTube    
Hilarious and true. 
A1

Claybraker

If someone would reintroduce returnable beer bottles the home brewers would immediately snap them up.  Those old bottles were great. Especially the heavy cardboard case.

doc henderson

that is a stylish bottle. When I remolded my old house in Hays, we found lots of beer cans in the walls.  they were opend with a can opener that made the triangle hole.  would have rather had insulation.  When I asked the older (80s) German lady what her deceased husband did, she said "anything he wanted and not a DanG thing else"!  They used to rent to college kids, but she said with a strong German accent, "  when they started shooting guns down there, that was it, and we kicked em out".  she also said the reason she was selling, was to get her grandson and his kids out of the basement.  On many a Sunday, along would come a big car going slow.  It would be this lady, getting a ride home from church who came out to see what had been done to the house.  she would always ask if she could have a drink of the good ol well water.  she was a peach.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Finding that bottle sparked a new addiction... lol i mean I had cream soda and cane sugar pop before but I've been grabbing one from the store every few days now. They are sure refreshing after a long day. 

A1

trimguy

How about this bottle ?

The original 3 Centa.

HemlockKing

A1

Old Greenhorn

I found a pretty thorough write-up on that bottle HERE. It seems the clear is more rare than the colored, and the 5 centas are even more rare. I found one like yours on ebay for $57. plus shipping. Nice find.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

Yes, I found it. Working on one of my projects this morning. My house was built in 1906. Back in the day, they just dug a hole, or not , for a place to put trash. I have found several bottles since we've lived here, most were liquor bottles.😂 A few soda bottles. I would have to say this is the oldest one I found so far. I'm sure the older stuff is deeper buried. Thanks for the link OG, I assumed Augusta Georgia, that would make sense. I looked on the bottle and there's no city name.

moodnacreek

In the northeast at least, when you are driving on a country 2 lane road and you see where the old road used to be, that is the place to walk for old bottles and old dumps.

Thank You Sponsors!