iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will these board dry straight

Started by kelLOGg, January 14, 2020, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I am sawing SYP for a customer into 12, 8 and 3 inch wide boards. Slabs that are about 12 to 13 wide and are ideal (dimensionally) for edging to 11" and resawing to 3 and 8 inches. However, the cathedral grain (which is centered on the 11" board) is now off center on the 8" board. See pic. Will the 8" boards dry straight? Note: the boards are from the outer part of the log and nowhere near the pith. 

<b

r>

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

There is nothing I can see there that will give you any problems, that is perfectly fine flat sawn pine.  Aside from sawing from a very stressed log, with SYP what you want to be careful with in order to avoid crook is to either not have any juvenile wood mixed in with the sap wood, or to make sure that it is balanced on either side.  Good job!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

Thanks for the reply. Any success I have sawing is due mostly to what I have learned on the FF.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Probably OK, but I find that it is always best if you can balance the rings. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

I saw no way to balance the rings without wasting the boards

alan gage

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 15, 2020, 08:17:52 AM
I saw no way to balance the rings without wasting the boards
I had a similar debate with myself last weekend when working with wide boards. I did the same as you and now have off balance 6-7" boards. Since they're already air dried and will soon be screwed to the wall I'm hoping it's ok. Too much work and waste otherwise.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

kelLOGg

Uh Oh. Time will tell if I end up in the same boat

doc henderson

what is the intended use?  very specific widths.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

It is for home siding for a customer/friend. All I know is the 12 and 3 inchers are for vertical board and batten. The 8 inchers will be horizontal siding and if they crook it'll be difficult to nail them straight. There are only 2 boards cut this way.

Southside

I am not disagreeing with WDH here, but centering the circles is not something I have ever intentionally done, and pine is by far the majority of what I saw.  Makes sense that it would be best practice to do so. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

B&B can be forgiving.  if he has trouble, he knows a guy with a sawmill.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

It is like a lot of things where it is better to do one thing, but it is not always practical to do it ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Florida boy

From my experience as long as you stay away from pith with good logs it works. The closer to pith the more crook you have . Good size diameter logs help a lot. 

Woodpecker52

A proper driven nail of the right size and length will cover a multitude of crook.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

scsmith42

Bob, I always try to center, but when that's not possible I'll place the off center boards near the bottom of the stickered pile for maximum weight on top. I've had good success with this method.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kelLOGg

They will be near the bottom. The stacks will be nearly 6' high before all is sawn. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!