iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A whack of Walnut

Started by whitepe, June 30, 2010, 01:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

Okay... Bro Noble was asking if I still had my LT 15.   I do but I don't use it much anymore as the job and volunteer firefighting keep me pretty busy.
But, back in May, I sawed a walnut log for fellow firefighter and fellow sawmill owner Larry Heinz.  Larry has a Lucas Swingmill.   We knew the log had metal in it so we didn't want to risk his swingmill blades.  We managed to saw it while dinging only one woodmizer blade.  You can see the stain on a couple of the boards.  A lot of the nails were still in sapwood so we just turned the sapwood into firewood. 
Of course we did the milling on a Saturday afternoon  after a 4 hour training session of running the fire engine pumping water.
Did I mention I am too old for this stuff?   :-)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

WDH

The little LT15 did the job!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

whitepe

I discovered this spring that there was another LT 15 located about 4 miles from my house at the Seven Circles Native American Heritage Center.  Unfortunately I found out when the groundskeeper was burning some trash and caught their 1 acre supply of logs used for lumber logs and firewood for various ceremonies caught fire.
Our department and two others must have sprayed about 30,000 gallons of water
putting the fire out in their log piles. 2 or 3 surrounding acres also o burned.  Really windy day with wind gusts about 20 mph.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Magicman

Quote from: whitepe on June 30, 2010, 01:44:22 PM
But, back in May, I sawed a walnut log 

If all of that came out of "a" walnut log, it as a good one.  18" boards tell a story.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

If they stay flat they should be great!! 8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

For some reason, I've never had much problem with Walnut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

That must have been a really big log to get that much heartwood.  I sawed a walnut last week that also had nails.  All of them clustered in one spot near the center of the log.  They must have been put in there when the tree was very young.  I have no idea where that log came from.  It was mixed in with some cherry logs that I had set aside.  Someone must have dropped it off while we were in Texas.  It made some very pretty boards and I sawed it 2" thick to make coffee table tops.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

In my area, big Walnut logs come from "yard trees" and are easily 150 years old.  When folks want them sawed, it's hourly rate plus blades.

rph816

I had a lady call a while back with a city walnut tree, told her I wouldn't be interested if it wasn't at least 12" in diameter.  She said she wasn't sure if it was that big and told me to go have a look.  It was about 32" dbh and didn't have a branch on it for the first 20 feet or so.  The one down side was the tree company cut the blanks about 6.5" long so I got 6 (yes six) logs ranging from 32" down to about 24" or so there is a little rot in one of them from a canker/broken limb but that's a lot o' walnut.  Need to get it on the mill soon.  Also hauled off another 6 hackberry logs 12-18" so that was a bonus.  I love it when I can drop off the trailer, go to the office and stop by at 5 to a fully loaded trailer.

Ryan

Thank You Sponsors!