iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2018, 02:09:39 PM
My sawing this week got sidetracked big time.  It was too DanG cold to saw anyway.   :-\

X2

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

50 Acre Jim

Working on my solar kiln got sidetracked big time.  Way too darn cold.
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

nativewolf

Just machine shop time for us this week, repair clean maintain.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Battles sawing in this cold with added obstacles. Put a BIG beech up on the mill to QS. 38" or so. Made about 8 shallow cuts around the outside getting ready to reverse roll quartersaw it.

Got about 1/3 down the log and hit the wall...starting smoking etc. Couldn't back out, kept getting pinched, even with  wedges, so I hacked it with my 395 to see what's the matter. Found this nice little present WAY inside.

Dug it out and metal detector still unhappy. Something else in there..probably it's twin.  :-\

Learned something interesting though. When doing super-wide cuts on my LT40 Wide and turbo 7's, I have to go fast enough so blade doesn't heat up, but too fast and it dives...always riding the line. Since it's so cold, had to thaw my water lines with Water/Pinesol/Dawn combo and was running windshield washer. Happened to have some gallons of methanol and added some of that too to make it even lower-temp. To my amazement, it REALLY made the blade run cool and I was able to go faster. Must have the same cooling effect on the band that it does for performance engines.  Best solution I've found yet. Will report more as I use it. At one point, tension was starting to drop (due to heat) and I opened up the valve to dump more fluid on the tension actually started coming back up.

On another yet, related note, all my logs are frozen now. :(  :snowman:

Did manage to cut some real nice 8/4 cherry. Pretty stuff!   8)

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

Quote from: paul case on January 01, 2018, 03:53:04 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2018, 02:09:39 PM
My sawing this week got sidetracked big time.  It was too DanG cold to saw anyway.   :-\

X2

PC

X3.  15°F. Even the blue stuff in the Porta Potti froze.  I threw a rock in there and "thunk."  I decided to go sharpen bands.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

YellowHammer, that was a really crappy thing to post.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Now would be the perfect time to practice dropping your cell phone out of your shirt pocket into the crapper.  At least you could easily retrieve it for additional tries.   :o   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I actually dropped mine down into a sonotube the other day, luckily it was a dry tube, but 4 ft is a long way down a small hole!
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Have I ever told you "I hate porta-johns" especially in cold weather. Last assignment in USMC I had to rent the porta-johns for major exercises. I'd list a grid coordinate, always a landing zone or major road intersection, to drop them then we'd move them with tactical forklifts. I kept a drawer full of base maps and as often as not would have to give one to the fuzzy headed guy in rubber boots (Think Larry the cable guy before he got educated) and give him map reading classes so he could find a 6 digit grid coordinate. We'd have to go admin a couple times a week and walk the driver through the area to pump them all. My last exercise his pumper truck broke and PJs were all full (Never a pretty site!) and the old man was reaming me a new poop chute as the medial/safety folks were about to shut us down and the general was not happy. I finally told the Colonel "He's not a Marine. I can't court martial him. All I can do is withhold his pay and he already knows that." We finally got through it but I still wake up in a cold sweat about Porta Johns.

Then 25" years later I am a contractor in Iraq and even worse Afghanistan setting up and running military bases and we had PJs again. If you have never sat your butt down on a cold, cracked porta john when the weather is in the single digits you have never lived.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I have seen proof lately that our local gas stations dilute their washer fluid in the window cleaner by the gas pump as most have a blue window washer popsickle laying by the gas pump now.
-1 last night. 10 rite now.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

No chemicals required.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Meanwhile in Oregon, on the east side of the Cascades, we are having a heat wave, got up to 42°F here today.  Ice was melting and making mud, and I was out there in my mick boots sloshing around in shirt sleeves. Shouldn't be no stinking mud in January!
:new_year:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

-18 right now...not going to be in a huge rush getting in to the mill today lol
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

19 degrees here.  This child is gonna go slow this morning  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

16° here.  I ain't even gonna go.   :o

Jjoness4

3 degrees in East Tennessee.  Brass monkey had a rough night :snowball:
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Southside

It's 2 here, just wrong.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside logger on January 02, 2018, 08:28:09 AM
It's 2 here, just wrong.
12° here, I agree, just ain't right.  Time to fire up the big heaters, football is over for the week, time for me to get to work. 

Well, on the other hand, maybe I'll get another cup of coffee.  Or two.....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

-14 F here, but I'll be milling today....inside(55F)!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

Its 7 here. I'm going to take advantage of the heat wave and get some slabwood cut up and moved to the boiler.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

Was 20 here and hope it gets above freezing today. Got the wood stove cooking and trying to build more cabinets in my guest house. Glue is not drying. :(

Peter Drouin

-2°F
Doing end of the year paperwork in between customers. :P
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

The ONLY good thing about this cold is that it's too cold for even the outlaw, heater huntin, shootin from the road in my pickup outfitted with thrush muffler crowd to venture out from the cul-de-sac, thank goodness for small miracles.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on January 02, 2018, 11:51:43 AMGlue is not drying. :(
Paul, do not even try gluing when the temp is below freezing.  The glue will freeze and turn to powder. 

Thank You Sponsors!