iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl purchase - run-out model: Am I silly to pass this up?

Started by WoodBGood, January 27, 2020, 02:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBGood

Hi from a newbie down under (New Zealand)

I'm a part-timer with chainsaw, though I've had a lot of time on them over the years. My next year or so is going to be an intense shift up, however.

I have a sizeable plot of very old Eucalypts to come down. Big fellas - 1.4m (55") at base, 50m tall (160 ft) and not a lot of bifurcation low down. So a lot of log at width. Felling done by pros but all buck and split is up to me.

I usually use a 270 for smaller diameter wood and large a 660 with a 28" bar. Looks like I'm going to need a lighter mid-range workhorse for this longer job.

I'd whittled down to a choice between 462c-m and the new 500i. I think these are much more expensive here than other places in the world. 500i is NZ$2495 (USD $1650), 462c-m $2375 ($1570). Just about made the call on the 500i, then my local shop suggested a 461. Run-out model, they have a couple on clearance at $1595 ($1050).

Looking for help to make up my mind. Is the difference performance-wise of the 500i, or 462c-m so good as to warrant that massive gap in price? Would I be doing better or worse in the long run choosing proven low-tech over new-tech?

olcowhand

Hi WoodBGood, and welcome to the forum.
I'm not a Pro Cutter, but I do spend a lot of time in the woods. I bought a 461 2-3 years ago and have been touting the economy of buying the clearance models since the 462 came out. Not sure you'll be burying a 50+" bar in the wood with no complaints from your saw, but I can run a 24" bar in Beech or Maple with some real progress.
@EHP has run both the 461 and 462 extensively, and can probably lend some wisdom....
Good luck.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ehp

I fall with the 462 and buck up with the 461 . Power wise there pretty close, 462 is a lot lighter and nicer to cut with. The 500i was to of been here but we still have not seen any from stihl. I would buy the 462 , it is a very nice saw and you got a 660 already

lxskllr

Quote from: ehp on January 27, 2020, 07:34:13 AMI would buy the 462 , it is a very nice saw and you got a 660 already

$800 is a lot to leave on the table. Is a 462 really $800 better?

hedgerow

WoodBGood Welcome to the forum.  I have been running a 461 for just about six years with zero issues. We cut a lot of hedge with it which is a very hard wood. I would same the money and buy the 461. I have been thinking about buying another new 461 myself just to have around before they are all gone. 

doc henderson

I bought the new 661 and had all kinds of problems.  traded for the 880.  point being, the 500i would make you the cool kid on the block, and I originally thought I would get one as soon as they come out.  now I think I will wait and see if they have problems.  I hear they start nice and rap fast, but dependability is also an potential issue.  I did not appreciate being a non paid member of the Stihl research and development team.  If you just plan to run that saw till it is dead, no point in paying more for the "latest greatest" model
PS thanks for the conversion to us dollars for those of us that do not get out much :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ehp

I plan on buying the first 500i that gets to my region just to try it but I am quite happy with the 462, 461 is a good saw to just the 462 is a lot lighter and easier on the arms , its a 60cc saw weight with 70cc power

WoodBGood

Thanks fellas, I feel very welcome and appreciate your taking the time to give me some input. 

WoodBGood

Quote from: olcowhand on January 27, 2020, 04:05:05 AM
Hi WoodBGood, and welcome to the forum.
I'm not a Pro Cutter, but I do spend a lot of time in the woods. I bought a 461 2-3 years ago and have been touting the economy of buying the clearance models since the 462 came out. Not sure you'll be burying a 50+" bar in the wood with no complaints from your saw, but I can run a 24" bar in Beech or Maple with some real progress.
@EHP has run both the 461 and 462 extensively, and can probably lend some wisdom....
Good luck.
Steve
Thanks Steve, that experience is helpful

WoodBGood

Quote from: hedgerow on January 27, 2020, 09:09:29 AM
I have been thinking about buying another new 461 myself just to have around before they are all gone.
@hedgerow - thanks. That's an solid endorsement!

WoodBGood

Quote from: ehp on January 27, 2020, 06:29:08 PM
461 is a good saw to just the 462 is a lot lighter and easier on the arms , its a 60cc saw weight with 70cc power
That's my dilemma right there, @ehp . Lighter/easier sounds good, but with the gulf in price now, how good. It's US$600 diff. Last month $300 so I guess this is the very last of the 461s here.
Like you, I'm intrigued by the 500i though. So if I end up justifying the 462 over run-out 461, I may just go for the 500i. In stock in New Zealand now at my local dealership so I may just have to take it for a spin. If I do before you region gets yours, happy to report in

WoodBGood

Quote from: doc henderson on January 27, 2020, 09:21:24 AM
I bought the new 661 and had all kinds of problems.  traded for the 880.  point being, the 500i would make you the cool kid on the block, and I originally thought I would get one as soon as they come out.  now I think I will wait and see if they have problems.  I hear they start nice and rap fast, but dependability is also an potential issue.  I did not appreciate being a non paid member of the Stihl research and development team.  If you just plan to run that saw till it is dead, no point in paying more for the "latest greatest" model
PS thanks for the conversion to us dollars for those of us that do not get out much :)
Thanks Doc Henderson. Tugs at me too, new tech v old proven. I like new kit but more comfy leading edge than bleeding edge.

WoodBGood

Quote from: lxskllr on January 27, 2020, 07:50:19 AM
Quote from: ehp on January 27, 2020, 07:34:13 AMI would buy the 462 , it is a very nice saw and you got a 660 already

$800 is a lot to leave on the table. Is a 462 really $800 better?
Yep, that gap's darn big now. 
So much so I'm now double-guessing and thinking is the 461 is a lemon if it's that much cheaper than new model. Good reassurance from asking your experienced guys that it's not, much appreciated. I just have to reconcile sizeable back pocket impact vs some performance improvement.

ehp

461 is a very good saw , I think I got 5 or 7 461 arctics sitting here , they always start and run good

doc henderson

the 461 gives you something in the middle.  I get out my 880 sometimes cause it needs to run.  you see my age, and I am glad I have an old 046, and a 261 to let me rest on occasion.  Keeping it tuned and your chains sharp is prob. just as important as having a Corvette over a Camaro!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Timberguytim

Hey Doc, I love the 660 in the woodpile, but the 880's power gives me a admin edit and tunes up the arms and shoulders. For me a heavier saw is therapy as well as safety. Fighting my age, but pursuing the power while I can still "swing it".
I GOTTA tell the truth, or I'll forget what I said!

slider

I'm with doc on this one . At 69 and change i grab  the 461 over the 880 or the 800p echo every time. unless i need a 36 in bar. i have 36's on the big saws and a 32 on the 461. This 461 has been very reliable for the last 5 years. I would not hesitate to replace it with another one. I wonder what the weight difference is in the 462 ?
al glenn

realzed

461 = 76.5cc
           6.0hp
          14.6lbs

462 = 72.2cc
           6.0hp
          13.0lbs

500i= 79.2cc
           6.8hp
          13.6lbs

WoodBGood

Thanks to all who pitched in on this. I ended up buying the 461. The run-out deal was just too good. For the same shelf price as the 462 I was able to add a 28" light bar, new chaps, pro helmut/muff combo and large containers of bar and mix oil.

And I don't think I underbought on the saw, either. I have a long way to go to have this fully broken in - only a christening tank today. But *DanG, already it feels good, balanced and powerful. This thing CUTS. 

lxskllr

Good choice. I'm 90% certain I'd have done the same thing in your place.

Thank You Sponsors!