iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sugar maple burl

Started by bitternut, November 11, 2004, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitternut

I had a large sugar maple in my woods split and the part that fell down has a large burl on it. I want to cut it out and save it but don't know how to go about it. Can anyone give me any advise on how to cut it and take care of it?

beenthere

As soon as possible, and put anchorseal on it, would be my plan.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

Bitternut, I work with a lot of burl stock. Maple seem to hold together the best. If there are areas of spaulting they may dry and crack away. Other than that dry it slowly and slab it to approx. thickness that's about it. Anchor sealing it is good although not as effective due to the random nature of the grain. Hopefully it is all "dormant bud burl" the most intense and beautiful. You never know until you cut it open  what you've got. If you want to turn it do it soon aas the moisture will help with the cutting. Just sold the first slab of a 10'x 30" continously burled hard maple log. The best I've seen in the east, no voids which are common in the heart. Log weighed in at 3500 lbs, a real beastie. Incredible, grain! My company is called "of Branch and Burl" I build natural form furniture.

Good luck with your oyster!
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

Gots any pictures of your furniture, Reid  ???  ???  ???

bitternut

I guess I wasn't to clear on just what my problem was with this burl. My problem starts right at the beginning. I don't even know how it should be removed from the limb. Should I just cut the limb part with the burl like a block of firewood or just cut the burl part out? I need to know how to proceed right from the beginning. I have never dealt with a burl before and know nothing about them. Do you cut slices across the grain of the limb through the burl or do you cut parallel to the limbs grain? I do have anchorseal and was planning on using it as suggested.

Ironwood

Depends on what he end use will be. You have probably burned it by now anyway! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!