iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 ate another wrist pin clip

Started by Tom King, June 02, 2020, 09:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 26, 2020, 06:22:09 AMIt's the same mindset responsible for the Chinese invasion of cheap stuff. It's brought us to the precipice of having only cheap parts and cheap machinery/tools/engines for our choices in everything.  

Yup, we keep buying the stuff and they keep sending it. Us consumerw are driven by the price tag no matter how small. Sure has me thinking about things.

My wife went shopping the other day and looking at some nice garlic she looked a little closer. The bloody stuff was from China. Good grief, we live right in the middle of heavy farming here and they ship it in from China? I have a few words about that but Jeff would have a few words about my words. 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on June 26, 2020, 11:24:29 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 26, 2020, 06:22:09 AMIt's the same mindset responsible for the Chinese invasion of cheap stuff. It's brought us to the precipice of having only cheap parts and cheap machinery/tools/engines for our choices in everything.  

Yup, we keep buying the stuff and they keep sending it. Us consumerw are driven by the price tag no matter how small. Sure has me thinking about things.

My wife went shopping the other day and looking at some nice garlic she looked a little closer. The bloody stuff was from China. Good grief, we live right in the middle of heavy farming here and they ship it in from China? I have a few words about that but Jeff would have a few words about my words.
In my life, I always thought it more plausible to save and buy better quality stuff. To buy instant and cheap seemed to me to just bring on more problems & issues. Yet here we are.......people buying P&C kits for $45 or less.

Yes....you can't say anything personally insulting or use swear words here....learned that lesson. Can't even use the term "cheapskate", as someone would take that personally.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 27, 2020, 10:05:32 AMYes....you can't say anything personally insulting or use swear words here....learned that lesson. Can't even use the term "cheapskate", as someone would take that personally.

My comment about words was meant in humour, not a jab at anything or anyone. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Greenerpastures

Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 26, 2020, 06:22:09 AM
Quote from: sawguy21 on June 25, 2020, 11:40:12 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try but I doubt if it would make any difference. I have only seen wrist pin clip failures a few times in a 40+ year career but have never used aftermarket pistons, doing it over costs too much time and money. @Greenerpastures we have nobody to blame but ourselves for the state of the market. Walmart, Harborfreight and Amazon thrive because the driving force is price.
It's the same mindset responsible for the Chinese invasion of cheap stuff. It's brought us to the precipice of having only cheap parts and cheap machinery/tools/engines for our choices in everything.  

Kevin
I agree, getting mixed up with China was the wrong thing to do. But Stihl Husqvarna Makita and many others did, then the general public followed by dealing with them, online purchases taking more money out of the pockets of our neighbours, who lost their jobs because of the greed to put more profit in the hands of big business, even Boing got burned with the Chinese putting up their prices when their hands were tied as a result of their moving manufacturing to China.
I can only do my part, and have decided to try at all cost to buy nothing more that is made in China, I feel its not right to stand by and keep on giving for what in most cases amount to substandard products while we see good companies go under in our own towns, this is not political, it's common sense on every front, I see it as very unwise to count on China for any of my needs.

Greenerpastures

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 25, 2020, 11:40:12 AM
It wouldn't hurt to try but I doubt if it would make any difference. I have only seen wrist pin clip failures a few times in a 40+ year career but have never used aftermarket pistons, doing it over costs too much time and money. @Greenerpastures we have nobody to blame but ourselves for the state of the market. Walmart, Harborfreight and Amazon thrive because the driving force is price.
In all honesty, I let price influence my purchases too, but am awake now, and like the rest of the world will not alone loose any money I saved by buying Chinese products, but will be in great debt paying for the disaster that is Covid19. You can guess where I won't be shopping anymore.

Tacotodd

I don't mind spending my money for overseas stuff as long as it's not from CERTAIN states and places. After all, when they get their quality up, so goes the good prices.

I'm just trying to be self moderating.
Trying harder everyday.

lxskllr

Quote from: donbj on June 26, 2020, 11:24:29 PMYup, we keep buying the stuff and they keep sending it. Us consumerw are driven by the price tag no matter how small. Sure has me thinking about things.

The last thing I remember making a decision about was standing in walmart looking at wiper blades. A US made blade was $16, and the one from Vietnam(I think) was $5. I was thinking "C'mon guys, work with me here..." I'd have gone twice as much to buy US, but $32 for a replacement set vs $10? That's a tough pill to swallow, especially for something like a piece of rubber on a stick. I ended up getting the import. Didn't feel too good about it, but...

sawguy21

I had the same dilemma but went with the U.S. made. Got tired of having to change crappy blades when I needed them most.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Quote from: lxskllr on June 28, 2020, 01:17:05 PM
Quote from: donbj on June 26, 2020, 11:24:29 PMYup, we keep buying the stuff and they keep sending it. Us consumerw are driven by the price tag no matter how small. Sure has me thinking about things.

The last thing I remember making a decision about was standing in walmart looking at wiper blades. A US made blade was $16, and the one from Vietnam(I think) was $5. I was thinking "C'mon guys, work with me here..." I'd have gone twice as much to buy US, but $32 for a replacement set vs $10? That's a tough pill to swallow, especially for something like a piece of rubber on a stick. I ended up getting the import. Didn't feel too good about it, but...
Think on the lifestyle of the people providing these $10 blades, pretty grim a lot of them. Compare that to the $32 lifestyle we are trying to maintain.
Corporations here are just as much to blame by chasing the cheap labour to out do the competition. The day will come when we will be too dependant on foreign products and their market control.

JoshNZ

Lots of what I own is Chinese or nothing i.e. I can afford a $5k lathe but I can't afford a $20k Southbend or US/English machine imported to NZ. So I have a Chinese lathe or I have no lathe =/. Sucks and I don't like it, but it is what it is.

donbj

Quote from: JoshNZ on June 29, 2020, 02:19:11 AM
Lots of what I own is Chinese or nothing i.e. I can afford a $5k lathe but I can't afford a $20k Southbend or US/English machine imported to NZ. So I have a Chinese lathe or I have no lathe =/. Sucks and I don't like it, but it is what it is.
For sure. We are all in the same boat with this Chinese situation. The part that gets me going is the tech theft and knocking off products that match brand name items. Best example here is the Chinese saws that can be "upgraded" with oem Husky and Stihl parts. If they want to design and market their own saws, they can go for it and see how it goes from there. If they are half the price of our brand names they'll probably sell. That's the thing, price tag rules.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Greenerpastures on June 28, 2020, 10:45:48 AMI agree, getting mixed up with China was the wrong thing to do. But Stihl Husqvarna Makita and many others did

I don't think what country things are made in has much to do with quality its more to do with the company making it, 30 years ago I would generally avoid buying things made in the USA because of poor quality, (tools, electronics, vehicles....) the best stuff was made in Japan or Germany. When my mother was young the post war stuff from Japan was very poor quality. There is some very good quality stuff as well as poor coming from China. It seems to play over and over with the latest cheap place to make stuff, they start off poor quality but after a while they figure out that it is worth their while to improve quality.

I've had no problems with my made in China Makita chainsaw, I wish I could say the same thing about my made in Germany Stihl.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 29, 2020, 09:10:47 AM
Quote from: Greenerpastures on June 28, 2020, 10:45:48 AMI agree, getting mixed up with China was the wrong thing to do. But Stihl Husqvarna Makita and many others did

I don't think what country things are made in has much to do with quality its more to do with the company making it, 30 years ago I would generally avoid buying things made in the USA because of poor quality, (tools, electronics, vehicles....) the best stuff was made in Japan or Germany. When my mother was young the post war stuff from Japan was very poor quality. There is some very good quality stuff as well as poor coming from China. It seems to play over and over with the latest cheap place to make stuff, they start off poor quality but after a while they figure out that it is worth their while to improve quality.

I've had no problems with my made in China Makita chainsaw, I wish I could say the same thing about my made in Germany Stihl.
It shifts like power & politics. Yes, post WWII Japanese stuff was junk. Then as you said, Japan & Germany became powerhouses in quality goods.

After bicycle companies like Raleigh quit making bikes in England, almost every bike frame in the world was made in Taiwan for a time. They were decent, but not especially 'hand crafted' like their predecessors. The sudden adult interest surge in bicycling created a demand that only mass produced bikes could fill.

And so it is with China who can make anything for a price point. They can also make quality products....but not at a price point. And then you have their human rights issues and politics. When you buy their products, you support that.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on June 27, 2020, 10:42:12 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on June 27, 2020, 10:05:32 AMYes....you can't say anything personally insulting or use swear words here....learned that lesson. Can't even use the term "cheapskate", as someone would take that personally.

My comment about words was meant in humour, not a jab at anything or anyone.
So was mine, but it still brought a wrath of hurt feelings.

Kevin

Al_Smith

The last I did was an 036 cylinder on an 034 crankcase .I used  a Meteor piston and have had reports it's still doing well after maybe 10 years .
I have another in the shed I don't think anything is wrong with it I had landed from a dealers" dead pile " which is an 034 Super which in essence is an 036 .That model is pretty snappy for it's size .I'm not certain if it runs the small or large sized rim sprockets .Doesn't make a diff I have plenty some place in a box .  

Mad Professor

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 30, 2020, 10:14:44 AM
The last I did was an 036 cylinder on an 034 crankcase .I used  a Meteor piston and have had reports it's still doing well after maybe 10 years .
I have another in the shed I don't think anything is wrong with it I had landed from a dealers" dead pile " which is an 034 Super which in essence is an 036 .That model is pretty snappy for it's size .I'm not certain if it runs the small or large sized rim sprockets .Doesn't make a diff I have plenty some place in a box .  
Al, Stihl up graded the clutch drum to a larger bearing and larger sized rim somewhere in the 036 series.  They sell a kit to convert the early saws.
I had an early 036 loose the bearing but the crank survived.  It got the kit.

Al_Smith

That 034 I upgraded had the tar beat out of it,tree trimmer you know .They lost the E-clip blew the bearing out broke a clutch segment and finally locked it up .I stuck it back together with parts i had laying around .I don't remember if I put the large bearing drum on it or not but I did use a clutch segment from I think an 029 and the springs .A guy from Louisiana  on another forum sent me a cylinder from  an 036 It survived to live another day .

The story goes on .I only ran it about 15 minutes ,did okay .Traded it off for  a cherry 805 Mac ,I mean  like a new one ,bad chrome on the cylinder.Got a used cylinder from an 850 ,back in business until I straight gassed it  by mistake with a squeeze bottle ,oops .Found an early model 850,cheap,rough ,real good engine .So now it's an 805 hiding an 850 engine . You just never know where that road will take you  ;D 

Real1shepherd

The good thing about oil mixes is that they color the gas. If you don't see that color from the oil, then don't put the gas into you saw. I mark all my gas cans for 2 cycle. The other day I grabbed a gas can that wasn't marked and noticed the gas with no color going into my Stihl weed-eater. Was straight gas and so I dumped it out of the weed-eater. I'd only put a little in, but not taking any chances.

Not sure how anyone could fill an entire tank with straight gas and not notice there is no coloring. Label all your cans and stick to your system of marking.....

Kevin

Al_Smith

That straight gas was just stupid mistake I made from being in a hurry .I've done almost the same thing by using an old anti freeze jug to store my mix gas in  . Anti freezed a weed wacker and gasolined my old tractor .Duh :D

Mad Professor

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 03, 2020, 08:38:28 AM
That straight gas was just stupid mistake I made from being in a hurry .I've done almost the same thing by using an old anti freeze jug to store my mix gas in  . Anti freezed a weed wacker and gasolined my old tractor .Duh :D
I use old 1- 2.5- oil jugs to recycle oil.  I've grabbed one of those by mistake top top off, or when changing oil.
It's at least obvious if you notice the color.

Al_Smith

I antifreezed the weed wacker first on that episode .The antifreeze and the mix gas were about the same color . The old tractor i knew immediately ..Didn't hurt anything .I just rebuilt the carb on the weed wacker .

JoshNZ

Quote from: Real1shepherd on July 03, 2020, 07:51:18 AM
The good think about oil mixes is that they color the gas. If you don't see that color from the oil, then don't put the gas into you saw. I mark all my gas cans for 2 cycle. The other day I grabbed a gas can that wasn't marked and noticed the gas with no color going into my Stihl weed-eater. Was straight gas and so I dumped it out of the weed-eater. I'd only put a little in, but not taking any chances.

Not sure how anyone could fill an entire tank with straight gas and not notice there is no coloring. Label all your cans and stick to your system of marking.....

Kevin
91 octane (lowest grade at pump) is died red in NZ. Stihl chainsaw oil is red, I can't tell if it's mixed or not. Maybe if I pour it into a white ice-cream container and analyse side by side but I cant tell while pouring =[]

Al_Smith

If you cut to the chase nobody intentionally straight gasses a two cycle . Anybody can make a mistake unless for arm chair quarterbacks that do nothing.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: JoshNZ on July 03, 2020, 06:47:00 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on July 03, 2020, 07:51:18 AM
The good think about oil mixes is that they color the gas. If you don't see that color from the oil, then don't put the gas into you saw. I mark all my gas cans for 2 cycle. The other day I grabbed a gas can that wasn't marked and noticed the gas with no color going into my Stihl weed-eater. Was straight gas and so I dumped it out of the weed-eater. I'd only put a little in, but not taking any chances.

Kevin
91 octane (lowest grade at pump) is died red in NZ. Stihl chainsaw oil is red, I can't tell if it's mixed or not. Maybe if I pour it into a white ice-cream container and analyse side by side but I cant tell while pouring =[]
That's a bummer.

At my age, my only salvation is to put gas in two cycles that was from a designated, marked can. When I was younger, I never made this mistake....ever.

I never heard of anybody straight gassing a 2 cycle(at least that they would admit to), except in the last ten yrs. Maybe it's just a function of being in a hurry.

Kevin

lxskllr

All my small cans(<5G) are 2stroke only, and I never fill them unless I'm adding oil at that time. It's virtually impossible for me to add straight gas to my gear.

Thank You Sponsors!