iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you identify this tree

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 24, 2016, 08:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, heard about them forever but how many of you have ever seen them. Let's see who can guess what it is first.

The leaves are about 9-10 inches long and up to 4-5 inches wide.

Maybe a picture of the fruit will help.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Way down yonder in the Pawpaw patch.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Nailed it. Well done Lynn. I never saw them till I moved up here. Some folks call them WV bananas as taste is similar.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have many along the shady creek, and yes, they taste like banana.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnW

Funny, we have paw paws in Northern Indiana, where I grew up, but I've never seen ay down here in Southern Indiana, where I live now.

DelawhereJoe

At some point I plan to run up to my brothers house over in Maryland and get some seedlings to transplant here at my house. Perhaps some hickory too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

I have never seen them growing anywhere but in the shade.

OneWithWood

I have many paw paw trees on my property here in southern Indiana.  Paw Paws are shade loving trees and can keep oaks from sprouting by blanketing the floor of the forest and blocking out the sun.  When the fruit is ripe on the larger trees you need to be standing under the tree if you want to get any.  The animals are on the bananas before the fruit hits the ground  :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

I have been there, too.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!