iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Insurance

Started by Dewey, August 06, 2014, 07:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I've been sawing for 20 + years. Most of it stationary....I've always had insurance.... and still do..The company I use now has told me it's hard to find carriers for sawmills.. A friend of mine is starting out selling insurance so I told him to go ahead and see what he can do for me.... He has looked for a week and called me yesterday and tells me he can't find a company to insure my sawmill and business.... I've had no claims ..Is this just a Maine thing or is it really that hard to get insurance or are they not looking in the right direction ?? I'm just wondering what companies you guys are using ?

manoverboard

None, had a couple of quotes however, it ended up me paying for nothing. So I did not bite. The fine print and liability made the prospect uninteresting... Good luck
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Magicman

Look to the Sponsor banner on the left.  Margeson & Associates
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Have you checked with Margeson and Associates, our sponsor on the left side of the page?  They specialize in bandmill insurance.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

giant splinter

If you need protection from theft or damage your home owners may be able to cover it, if you need general liability and inland marine there are two companies that sponsor the forestry forum on the left.https://forestryforum.com/insurance.htm and http://www.mai-ins.com/ins_bandsaw.html
roll with it

MAI

Hi Dewey,
I would be more than happy to talk with you.  When would be some good times to call you and at what number?
I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
DJ

WDH

I also cannot get liability insurance for people around my stationary LT15. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NMFP

Its rediculasly tough.  Is there anyone out there writing insurance for stationary sawmills?  handset that aren't major lumber producers?  I haven't found anyone yet in my area.

schmism

Quote from: giant splinter on August 06, 2014, 09:14:01 AM
If you need protection from theft or damage your home owners may be able to cover it,

You need to call them and verify that if the equipment is used as a commercial business that its covered.   Likelyhood is they are going to tell you they will only cover items you own for "personal" use, not commercial.

As we are on the subject of insurance,  the thread about passing other mills on the road got me thinking.  Do you title your portable mill so that it has a license plate when towing on public roads?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

thecfarm

I use to haul my tractor from my Father's house to here. As long as my tractor was on the trailer and being hauled by my truck,the tractor was covered. My insurance company told me anything that I hauled was covered. But I never made a claim with that "fact".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dewey

DJ I sent you a PM let me know that you got it,,,

MAI

reswire

Quote from: thecfarm on August 07, 2014, 05:20:28 AM
I use to haul my tractor from my Father's house to here. As long as my tractor was on the trailer and being hauled by my truck,the tractor was covered. My insurance company told me anything that I hauled was covered. But I never made a claim with that "fact".

My  good friend just had a mishap while pulling his travel trailer behind his personal pickup.  His insurance company originally told him that he had insurance on anything he was pulling.  Just last week, while on a trip to Montana, the tires on the trailer rubbed against the wooden under carriage and caused a fire that smoked the inside, and burnt the under carriage nearly in half.  The tow bill was 2000 dollars, (from the highway to the tow shop), the storage was an outrageous 70 bucks a day, and to repair the trailer to return to Virginia with, will cost another 2 grand.  When he contacted his insurance company, they told him he was indeed covered, but only for 500 dollars, total.   That's all!! :'(  Be careful when assuming you are covered while towing, some companies have limits to the amount and the type of coverage you have.   
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

thecfarm

Quote from: thecfarm on August 07, 2014, 05:20:28 AM
But I never made a claim with that "fact".

That is why I said "fact"   ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Quote from: MAI on August 06, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
Hi Dewey,
I would be more than happy to talk with you.  When would be some good times to call you and at what number?
I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
DJ

Do you insure other types of business?  Or just sawmill insurance?  I've wanted to get insurance for field and brush mowing jobs as I currently don't have any.  It seems difficult to get, I contacted a few places and they said that I don't make enough per year to consider me for their coverage. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

MAI

Reswire,
That is why everyone that is towing something whether it be a trailer, boat or sawmill needs to make sure they are covered.  Double check with your agent/insurance company and ask questions, is it covered, for how much, what perils are covered and request proof of insurance in writing.  Some people think they have coverage and find out the hard way, but then it's too late.
In NY, some people think their $25,000 boat is covered under their auto policy.  It's not! They need to have a separate watercraft policy for their boat.

MAI

Dewey,
We only insure portable band saws and supporting equipment such as planers, edgers, re-saws, conveyors and tractors/skid steers for loading/offloading the mill.

Dewey

I have all the extras you mentioned except I don't move my mill....It was Portable until I took the wheels off...

I guess getting back to my original question what is one to do for insurance ????

I would think there would be less Liability with a stationary mill ??????

4x4American

Doesn't make sense to me either!
Boy, back in my day..

Dewey

Do any of you stationary guys have insurance ???

WDH

I am still trying.  Underwriters say my sales volume is too low  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

glassman_48

MAI,
If I purchased a portable sawmill, took it to someones house to mill their logs, they paid me for the service and they had their people to off load the lumber and one of them got hurt.  Do you know if a written contract before hand is the way to go?  Or would that even help?  Pretty general question I know but would like your input if you dont mind.   thanks, Ed

giant splinter

Question for Dewey,
I may have missed the type of insurance that you need for your stationary mill even after going back through your posts, I am trying to figure out just exactly what it is that you need in the way of coverage?.
In other words what is it specifically that you are interested in protecting your mill and business from?.
roll with it

Chuck White

Quote from: glassman_48 on August 10, 2014, 07:46:42 AM
MAI,
If I purchased a portable sawmill, took it to someones house to mill their logs, they paid me for the service and they had their people to off load the lumber and one of them got hurt.  Do you know if a written contract before hand is the way to go?  Or would that even help?  Pretty general question I know but would like your input if you dont mind.   thanks, Ed

I'm sure that a contract would help, especially if you point it out in the contract that the customer has to have health insurance that can be used in case of an injury!

However, it sometimes depends on which one has the best (most devious) lawyer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Piston

Quote from: WDH on August 10, 2014, 07:44:00 AM
I am still trying.  Underwriters say my sales volume is too low  :).

That's what my issue was with trying to find insurance for brush mowing.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!