iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance on a Sawmill?

Started by BWoody, January 09, 2017, 01:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWoody

I am planning on purchasing a saw mill in the $5,000-$8,000 range.  I would hate to buy the sawmill, get it home and set it up only to have a tree fall on it that night.  There are not any dead trees near where I would set the mill up; but healthy trees fall too.  Just wondering if anyone carries insurance on their mill for accidents like this and also for theft.  If you do could you give me a ballpark figure for a policy.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Bruno of NH

I got mine put on my homeowner policy .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

pine

I would certainly insure it if you can't self insure which most can't.
There used to be a sponsor that was an agent but think it went away.  If you can't put it on your homeowners (check with your agent) then buy an inland marine policy to cover it. 
Don't worry why and where the name "inland marine" came from but that is what they call it.

The cost on my policy is $1 per $100 of coverage

Sixacresand

There used to be a Forum sponsor who were underwriters for the company in the photo below.  I had a my mill insured by them.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

BWoody,

If your home owners won't cover it be sure to ask for an Inland Marine policy. I checked and thought the price for the coverage for my mill was a little high so I chose to just self insure my mill. I do carry liability insurance because the risk there was too high and the cost for me is about $650/year which I considered reasonable for the amount of coverage.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

longtime lurker

The greatest risk to a sawmill is fire. That might change a bit being a portable mill, what with risk associated with roading and theft. But if its a fixed installation fire is the one you need to worry about: it's also the coverage that costs most because insurers are well aware of the degree of risk.

The solution to overhanging trees is to feed the sawmill.  ;D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Brucer

Here in BC my mill is considered to be a trailer and has to be licensed if I travel with it. The insurance is pretty cheap and I can get extra coverage for fire and theft (even when it's parked). I also have sawmill specific insurance which gives my liability coverage as well as theft.

As for trees falling on your mill, do you have trees falling frequently where you live? If not, you probably don't need to worry.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WLC

As has already been said, either under your homeowners or an inland marine policy.  I have my Woodmizer LT28 on a stand alone inland marine policy.  Costs me about $25 per month.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Brad_bb

Mine is under my farm policy, so hard to figure what it adds.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WLC on January 10, 2017, 02:19:59 AM
As has already been said, either under your homeowners or an inland marine policy.  I have my Woodmizer LT28 on a stand alone inland marine policy.  Costs me about $25 per month.

Sounds like a real good deal to me. I think an inland marine policy for about 25K-30K coverage was going to cost me $600 or so per year. I thought that was high for relatively little coverage, not excessive risk and also because for the same money I could get 2 million liability. I had to have the liability but not the inland marine to operate.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!