iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodworking tools types to use

Started by Polly, January 18, 2007, 09:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

8) :-[ :-[      i am 68 years old but i still dont know mutch i got a bunch of white oak i think would make pretty flooring what tool do i need to fix the boards to lap so their will not be a crsck between you gessed it i am from ky :D :D :D

scsmith42

Polly, typically putting a tongue and groove in place would be done via a moulder (high volume outfit) or a shaper (the rest of us).  There are professional floor installers that don't tongue and grove though - they just put the straight edges together and glue the boards down to the subfloor.

You will want to do some type of straight line rip so that your edges are clean and parallel.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

What can I expect to pay for T&G 2X6 pine flooring? My plan all along has been subfloor with tile but have seen a couple cabins done this way and now am considering it for poarts of the house. Knowing there are several differnt wood types what would a good average be?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Bill, I'd check with your local lumber supplier.  From what I've seen, 2 x 6 pine dimensional material is readily available T&G.

You'd have a prettier floor if you could find reclaimed heart pine, but mostly it will be 1X material.  The floor in our house was reclaimed from beams that came out of an old textile mill, and I paid about $5.00 per square foot for the material, sized and ready for installation.  The colors and patterns are incredible, as compared with the more readily available T&G 2X pine from the lumberyard.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raphael

The 2x6 T&G end matched SYP we initially priced out was ~$1.25/BF (IIRC) which works out to something in the neighborhood of $3/sqr. ft. once you allow for the face lost in the T&G process.  My second load of square ended 2x8 T&G (from the same place) worked out to $1.32/BF including shipping (UPS!!!) from SC to CT.  These are straight from the mill prices rather than from the local reseller who wants $3.50/BF for 2x4 T&G.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

walexander

Thank You Sponsors!