iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Shock

Started by DR_Buck, October 28, 2018, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

In the past 8 or 9 years I have broken maybe 3 tips on the hammer probe for my Delmhorst J2000 moisture meter.    Then a few days ago I broke another one   ::), leaving me 1 spare in the original package.   So not to be caught short I decided to order some replacements.     This led to a shocking revelation.    The smallest quantity you can buy is a 24 pack...... at $63.00.   :o  

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

terrifictimbersllc

Should be all set then for a few months.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

They are not just special steel made into pins but also have an electrically, nonconductive coating.  I am on my last set, so if you want to donate or sell oe or two pair, let me know
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Don P

I was thinking the same thing, I'd be happy to help you bust a box, I'm low.

Percy

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on October 28, 2018, 02:31:44 PM
They are not just special steel made into pins but also have an electrically, nonconductive coating.  I am on my last set, so if you want to donate or sell oe or two pair, let me know
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  :D :D :D :D :D
I dont have a meter yet but am in the market. I'll get one like Buck we'll all be set for about 80 years.......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

When I bought mine I went ahead and ordered a extra pack of them. I know how I am and figured I would need them. I wasn't wrong.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I have broken one or two or three, or twelve :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Stupid probes are as brittle as glass.  Not that I've ever broken one or five either...
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Delmhost makes two different length needles or probes...approximately 1" length and 1/2" length, not including the length used for fastening to the 26E probe's head.  The 1/2" rarely breaks even in dry oak.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

customsawyer

Gene y'all should know, I don't do much on the small side of life. Go big or go home. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

PA_Walnut

Food for thought... that makes the cost per changing out both, $5.25.

How many loads of lumber can one measure before they break? 6-8? (that seems about right from my breakage experience). My small kiln holds about 800BF. Times, let's go low and say 5 loads, so 4000BF. That makes it 1/10 of a penny for every board foot, for the expendable pins.

Markup your material a penny a BF and you'll be 10x ahead of it in the long game.  ;D :D

p.s. Just trying to be funny...it frustrates me too when they break. Lately seems like every test they go East and West, and I have to bend them back.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!