iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 350 help.

Started by rusted, November 22, 2005, 02:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusted

I read quite a few troubleshooting threads but couldn't find my problem.

I have a 1 year old Husky 350.  Unfortunately, I bought it from an online dealer, so warranty work is out.

Well, the saw starts and runs fine.  I just sharpened the chain and was cutting through a 24" piece of oak.  It ripped right through it, then the saw quit.

I replaced the air filter, fuel filter, sparkplug.

The next day, it starts and runs easily.  I adjusted the carb according to the manual and the instructions I have seen here.  Fairly rich on the High speed jet, on the side of safety I'd say.

So I go out and start cutting again, bam, same thing.  Come out of say the 4th cross-cut, fairly heavy load on the saw, and she dies and WILL NOT START.

Any suggestions?

rusted

The spark plug appears to have a good color, just brown light deposits, not black or wet or white.

The spark is a nice blue/white spark.

rusted

When I pull and pull and pull on it, it sometimes 'chuff's a little bit, and sometimes backfires.

If I take the air cleaner off and squirt a little fuel down in the carb, it just backfires, but does not start.

It won't start again until it is completely cold.

This is a crank seal or something isn't it?

Ianab

Could be the coil  ?  :(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rusted

Quote from: Ianab on November 22, 2005, 02:19:28 PM
Could be the coil  ?  :(

Ian

The coil?  Would it still spark?  Plus, wouldn't the plug be all wet when I am pulling and pulling on it?

Grande Dog

Does it stop like you shut the switch off or like it's running out of fuel? If you have proof of purchase , you're the original owner, and you didn't purchase it under a business name. We will warranty it for you. If you bought it from us and it's a warranty, we'll pay the shipping back to you.

kenskip1

Another long shot, but could it possibly have H-2-0 in the G-A-S? For Russ, this is water, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

rusted

Quote from: kenskip1 on November 22, 2005, 02:48:43 PM
Another long shot, but could it possibly have H-2-0 in the G-A-S? For Russ, this is water, Ken

I just mixed new gas but I used up some non-husky 2cycle oil I had left.  I will drain the gas tank and mix a new batch with husky oil and see what happens.

rusted

Quote from: Grande Dog on November 22, 2005, 02:38:12 PM
Does it stop like you shut the switch off or like it's running out of fuel? If you have proof of purchase , you're the original owner, and you didn't purchase it under a business name. We will warranty it for you. If you bought it from us and it's a warranty, we'll pay the shipping back to you.

Hmm... Like it's running out of fuel.  Yes, I would say that's what it's like.  Definitely NOT like shutting off the switch.

What will happen is I will be coming out of the cut and pulling the saw out at speed, then I will release the throttle and it will start dying.  I goose the throttle and it just kind of peters out.  It sounds boggy when I goose the throttle to keep it alive.

If you warranty it for me I will be a customer for life, i.e. all those EXPENSIVE husky filters.   :D  Seriously though, I hope I don't have to but thanks for the tip.

Grande Dog

Sounds like a fuel tank vent problem. Fill the saw with fuel. With the saw laying fuel cap up, disconnect the fuel line. The fuel should flow at a steady pace. If it slows down to a drip or stops, open the fuel cap. If the fuel takes off and runs again, the problem is probably the tank vent

Ianab

QuoteThe coil?  Would it still spark?  Plus, wouldn't the plug be all wet when I am pulling and pulling on it?

may be unlikely... but they can do strange things.
The suggestion to check the tank vent is a better one to start with though, that would cause those symptoms.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rusted

Quote from: Grande Dog on November 22, 2005, 03:35:10 PM
Sounds like a fuel tank vent problem. Fill the saw with fuel. With the saw laying fuel cap up, disconnect the fuel line. The fuel should flow at a steady pace. If it slows down to a drip or stops, open the fuel cap. If the fuel takes off and runs again, the problem is probably the tank vent

Well, that's EXACTLY what happened.  I pulled the fuel line and it just dripped.  Open cap, fuel runs out.  Close cap, fuel drips and stops.  Open cap, fuel runs again...

rusted

I'm looking at the IPL, and I looked at the fuel cap.  Ok, I am not a genius, but where is this vent?  Usually there's a hole in the cap of say a lawnmower or whatever.   ???

Grande Dog

Looking at the clutch side of saw, it's just rear of where the handle bar mounts to the tank.

rusted

Yeah I see it.  It's perfectly clean.

If it was that problem though, I don't think it would run as long as it is running.  Plus, it would start up right after I opened the gas tank again.

I starts when it's cold.  It does not start hot.  Every time it's hot, it quits running and will not start.

rusted

Roxie

Say when

Grande Dog

The other heat sensitive failures are the ignition module and compression. With the module it'll quit in the middle of a cut like you tuned the switch off. It won't restart right away but, if you let it sit 5 minutes it restarts like nothing happened. With the compression problem the warmer the saw gets the less power it has til it stops. With either one of these the plug should be getting wet when you crank it. The little white disc you see when you look at the tank vent is like a soapstone material. If it gets oil soaked it won't let enough air through. Your right about craking cap as it starts failing should clear it up til the vacuum gets to great again

rusted

Quote from: Grande Dog on November 22, 2005, 05:29:49 PM
da other heat sensitive failures are da ignition module and compression. With da module it'll quit in da middle of a cut like youse guys tuned da switch off. It won't restart right away but, if youse guys let it sit 5 minutes it restarts like nothing happened. With da compression problem da warmer da saw eh, gets da less power it has til it stops. With either one of these da plug should be getting wet when youse guys crank it. da little white disc youse guys see when youse guys look at da tank vent is like a soapstone material. If it gets oil soaked it won't let enough air through. Your right about craking cap as it starts failing should clear it up til da vacuum gets ta great again

Well I'm pretty sure you just fixed my saw.

The vent looked fairly clean, but I blew it out with some comrpessed air.  Also, I usually use air to blow the saw off after every use, and the saw will drip excess chain oil directly after use.  Well, maybe I blew a little too much oil into that vent.  And a good blast of air cleaned it up?

Anyway, I jsut went out and used it pretty hard again.  I kept checking to see that it would still 4cycle, to make sure it wasn't getting lean?  Also, it cut cooler, it had more power... it kept cutting.  I finished the log, shut it off.  Started on one pull.  Shut it off.  One pull.  ETc etc.

rusted

Grande Dog

Thank You Sponsors!