iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ Christmas Tree

Started by Ianab, December 16, 2004, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

You know it's Christmas in NZ when the Pohutukawa trees start to flower.

The trees are very hardy, will grow right on the beachfront in the salt spray, and grow to a respectable size. This one is about 100 years old and growing in central New Plymouth. As you can see it is just coming into flower now.

Merry Christmas  :) :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lenny_M

That looks like a good one. Send it my way please.
  I won`t make it into boards.Honest ???
                                          Lenny

sawguy21

Ian, you are just trying to make us northern guys jealous and FWI, it is working beyond your wildest expectations. That tree is beautiful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

leweee

Ian.....You mentioned New Plymouth.... how far are you from Mt. Egmont & in what direction. I was there last in Jan. 77. 8) Nice part of the world. (Summer or Winter) ;D ;D ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ianab

Hi Lewee

I work in New Plymouth but live in Stratford. Thats about 15 km east of Mt Egmont. The pohutukawa doesn't grow at home because it's frost tender, wont make it through the winter frosts here.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

I though you were just kidding about the Christmas tree part, until I did a little digging.
Cool looking trees!
Any idea what problems customs might have with you sending over a few seeds from some of these cool trees you are always showing us???

Tom

News Flash

The Pohutukawa tree that ate Grand Rapids.

:D :D :D

Paschale

Hey now, Tom...if a tree's planning on eating Grand Rapids, Furby and I'll get our mills out and we'll do a little eatin' ourselves!  Tho mine isn't running yet... :-/so it's all on Furby's shoulders.

Ianab:  so is the blossoming of that tree culturally a definite sign of Christmas for you Kiwis?  It's interesting to think about what we each individually associate with certain times of year, and how nature plays a part.  Christmas just isn't Christmas here without a blanket of snow, and growing up, I always felt sorry for people who could never have a "real" Christmas.  Probably for kids in NZ, when they see that tree blossom, they know presents are just around the corner.  Kinda cool!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Ya think it would swallow my house???

Tom

Oh yes!  Pohutukawa trees are one of the most dangerous, vociferous, omnivores on earth.  Why, just last year one had to be dispatched because it was sneaking up on Salt Water Crocs and yelling "Boo!"  The crocs, in their haste to get away, were destroying river banks and causing all kinds of ecological mahem.  The Environmental Risk Management Authority (ERMA New Zealand) is still in a quandry about who to blame. ;D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I just figured the cold would slow them down a bit, maybe I was wrong. ::)

Ianab

Tom  ;D

Maybe you have provided the reason there are no crocodiles in NZ...  :)
We allways thought it was just to cold for em  ::)

Furby
I'm pretty sure you can get the trees in the US, I've seen it mentioned on garden type sites. I think it's only going to grow in light frost areas though, Florida & California were mentioned.
And of course it probably flowers in July if growing in the Nth hemisphere.

I also read its considered a weed in South Africa  ::)
It kinda is here too, it will grow out of any bank, fence or crack in the footpath it can find.

Paschale
Yes it's very much part of Christmas in NZ, along with BBQs and trips to the beach. It's still Christmas with all the associated craziness, just it's summer  ;D

Ian

Furby

When I first saw the pic ya posted, I thought it looked like I'd seen it around here before, but figured I was seeing things.
But if ya think they sell them here, then I know where to look!  ;)

Thanks!

Furby

Well I couldn't find anything at the sites I was thinking of, so I went back to google, and gave up after 10 pages.

Are the Pohutukawa trees known by another name?

etat

Furby, I found a site that might could help ya.

http://southcoastgrowers.com/growit/bin/CurInvJS.exe?Count=8312&myquery=SN&mystart=1&myend=100&MyP_Class=0

Type Pohutukawa into their search

I also found this:
Pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa) has been planted as an ornamental in the Western Cape province of South Africa for many years and large mature trees can be seen in the gardens of Cape Town and other towns of the province where it is known locally as the New Zealand bottlebrush. In recent years the pohutukawa along with many other introduced invasive plants has begun to invade sections of the nearby fynbos, a delicate ecosystem of 71,000 square kilometres, renowned for its huge range of native plant species. The fine seed of the pohutukawa, which is produced in vast quantities, is spread by wind and some areas in the fynbos provide ideal conditions for germination and growth of the plant. The dense masses of seedlings that are developing and becoming established indicate the likelihood that impenetrable stands of trees that suppress native flora will develop. While no official programme to control the pohutukawa has been initiated as yet, concerned locals have already begun to remove the plants.

And This:

Pohutukawa, Metrosideros excelsus is also a popular tree in warm climates in the United
States such as California and Florida. Although endangered in parts of its
native New Zealand, in parts of South Africa it has apparently become an
invasive tree.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ianab

Also known as:
Metrosideros excelsus   -  New Zealand Christmas Tree

http://www.fuf.net/tree_plantings/tree_listings.html

http://www.growit.com/plants/growers/SN/5449.htm

It is grown in some parts of the USA

Ian

Ohh.. and I see they list it as growing to 25ft tall and 25 ft spread.... I best go and measure that big one in town  ;D

Stephen_Wiley

Commonly known here on the West Coast as the New Zealand Christmas Tree.

Often will be requested by people looking at mature pics only.  Upon advisement of 'frost susceptibility' and growing habit they reconsider.

No doubt this native tree is probably best left in its native region.

Sure is purty tho :!:
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Minnesota_boy

Stephen_Wiley,
Are you thinking this could be something like purple loostrife of spotted knapweed, or amybe even the "Scotch broom" that I saw in Washington?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Those trees are beautiful in full bloom.

Now that you guys are talking about associate'n things with the seasons, I have to mention I got a couple wooly bears in the garage floor and I'm wondering if that means a mild winter. Today it got up in the low 30's F. Yesterday it was 0 F  burr. I was out in it with my handheld and I was impressed with it not being sluggish.

On the other  hand the screen update on the cell phone was in slow-mo mode. Now the cell phone is dead after takin a ride in the wash machine with a load of clothes. :D

Gettin back to the season, we see Christmas cactus this time of year in full bloom. In fact about every 2 months they seem to bloom themselves to death, so maybe that's not a good indicator. And no they don't grow in our outside climate, these are obviously in the house. My uncle has one, I don't grow any plants inside at all. I used to grow grapes and citrus inside. Boy did them citrus blossums smell sweet. They must make great honey. They smell like basswood blossums to me.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Thanks for the help guys!
It don't look like those places will sell me just one or two though. Maybe it's just as well. ::)
I really just wanted to grow one or two in the house. so yeah, it maybe would swallow the house.  ;D
At some point down the road I am planning on building a pretty good sized greenhouse for stuff like that.

SD, if your talking about the same Christmas Cactus as I'm thinking of, you should see my Grandma's. This year the thing was HUGE, with over a  hundred blossoms.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!