iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brushhog Repair

Started by Fly Fisher, August 28, 2010, 08:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I've thought about just hammering my own, but probably never will.  I do have a forge, a big honkin' anvil, and a bunch of hammers, but grinding on the mower is just so easy that I do it a lot more often.  One thing is for certain though, sharp blades make a huge difference!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

paul case

Quote from: DanG on September 05, 2010, 09:27:28 PM
I can turn my cutter on end with the loader and sharpen up in about five minutes and don't seem to lose all that much steel. 
DanG,
i think that sounds lke a lot of work to sharpen blades. on my 2615L and 315 the way to do it is lift the wings and sharpen the side blades and the end of the middle ones actually stick out the side enough to sharpen them from the side while sitting on a bucket. the 160 model mower could be sharpened by lifting the mower all the way up and sitting on the ground in front of it . angle grinder in hand .cost less than $4 in grinder discs to sharpen them up.
mm,
i see your point on hammering those blades but when sharpening usually you usually take off the same amount from each blade. the balance shouldnt be affected that much.when my dad had to do some repair on the stump jumpers on his mower he sometimes set the dish on a tire bubble balancer for tires. worked real fine to balance it .
a neighbor of mine had his blades hammered. they said he was too cheap to waste any metal. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DanG

Well you can be sure I'd do it that way if my cutter had wings, but it is a single.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

My hammering guy has a forge and trip-hammer.  I would hate to even think about hand hammering a blade out for ten bucks.  One of the pluses for hammering is that no metal is taken off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 04, 2010, 09:49:25 AM
I like Bushhog brand.  There is an outfit based in Arkansas called Bush Whacker that builds real heavy duty machines.  I wasn't familiar with them until working with the state.  Many highway departments in the use their 15 ft batwing mower.  I think they are everybit as tough as a Bushhog but costs less. 

I have had good success with Rhino and Woods mowers too.

I had a Woods dixie cutter M5 for years it is a fine machine...I just sold it last week ...with a little work it would still be better that the one I now have...

As James said the state of Ms... at least up here uses the Bush Whacker mowers....and it is unreal the abuse they get...and for the most part just keep on running...We hit rip rap, parappet walls on box culverts, ole tires and wheels...anything that can hide in tall grass...They would be worth a look....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!