iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak disease

Started by dirtmotor, December 17, 2019, 01:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmotor

Last weekend I came across a couple of large red oaks that had fallen because they were hollow about 8 feet up , the remaining wood appeared to be solid so i cut it up into a couple of saw logs and the rest fire wood ,
some of the smaller limbs look like they have what we call canker spots and one area on the main trunk also had a basket ball sized spot . My question is there danger of spreading the canker to healthy trees if I move wood to another area ?

curdog

What color were the spots? Were they light gray kinda like the color of primer?

Ben Cut-wright

Surprised you are not aware of the tremendous amount of Red Oak trees dying here in NW Arkansas. Recent storms took down lots of dead and dying Red Oaks.  Many were split and shattered at the butt log revealing hollow trunks even though outward appearance was a healthy tree.  Heavy infestations of Red Oak borers, carpenter ants, and other pests and fungus and diseases are rapidly killing Red Oaks.  Root fungus can kill a large ancient Red Oak in one season.

Galls and cankers also become life threatening when the tree is not resistant.  "black knot fungus" is rampant, spreads easily so the U-of-A claims.  Galls aren't usually so detrimental to Oaks.

I doubt spreading can be prevented. Thousands upon thousands of Red Oaks have died in our nearby National Forests leaving acres and acres of ruined stems.   

dirtmotor

Yes they are light gray , and yes i am aware of all the red oaks dying , since I have a lot of healthy ones on the property that I split and cure my firewood on I was asking what the risks of bringing diseased trees in an area that has healthy trees ?

Woodpecker52

High graded stands, past fire damage, woodpeckers, ants, wind damage,  man, etc. I can go on and on trees live and trees die they will be replaced by another plant, life continues in spite of....... and even a diseased oak alive will put forth leaves and take in carbon and give off oxygen and provide shelter and food for others, as far as spreading its impossible to stop the wind, birds, insects etc. etc........
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

curdog

Check out hypoxylon canker and see if that appears similar to what you have.  I see quite a few red oaks with it, especially suppressed trees that are already stressed.  Healthy resist it, but if it is hypoxylon,  the spores are everywhere and the best thing to do is promote good health of the remaining trees. https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/landscaping/hypoxylon-canker-of-oaks/
This link has some decent pictures and info. Many of the trees I see have a grayish color to the "spots", but they can turn black or even a chestnut color brown.  If you have any pictures, that might help in narrowing it down. 

dirtmotor

Thanks for the link curdog .That looks like what they have , Sounds like there is not much point in worrying about it spreading to other trees .

Thank You Sponsors!