iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinning for diversity

Started by 83trees, December 19, 2019, 04:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

83trees

Lots of good information on this site so I wanted to get the advice of more experienced foresters.

I live on 8 acres comprised mostly of walnut, sycamore, oak, hickory, cherry, sycamore, and beech. The property has 3 ridges trending east west and set down in a hollow (south central Indiana). It was logged probably 30 years ago, we moved here about 2 years ago. Most of the beech were not logged, so some are quite large and are shading areas allowing paw paw to grow quite thick. There are very few young oak, oak starts or other species in those areas. My question is how many beech to take out to provide more sun for increased growth of more desirable trees. My goal is to improve growth and diversity for deer habitat. Last fall I girdled 4 beech 6-24 inches on the north ridge and am considering cutting 3 beech 12-36 inches on the north facing south slope and 1 15 incher in a lower area in between. I do know girdled beech don't give up easily.

As fun as chainsaw use is, I don't won't to cut down too many trees. So any advice would be appreciated so I don't destroy that which I seek!

Thanks

Ron Scott

Retain 4-5 American Beech trees per acre for wildlife mast, den, snag, and cavity trees. American Beech trees should be retained as part of the wildlife habitat diversity. 
~Ron

Clark

I have never worked in those forests so I have no advice but to give a translation to Ron's advice, leave 90-105' between beech trees. That will give you 4-5/acre.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

83trees

Thanks Ron and Clark. Some of the medium to large beeches are as close as 30 feet apart. I take it then that a north facing slope is of no consequence regarding this issue.

I've read that digging/pulling up paw paw combined with an herbicide is effective, would that be accurate?

And as far as other species regenerating, just the exposure to sunlight and natural seeding should be enough to in time produce variety?

Ron Scott

Yes, herbicide would be effective on controlling unwanted species and shade tolerant species such as sugar maple, American beech etc. would regenerate when the stand is opened up by thinning the beech overstory.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!