iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw this on my walk

Started by D Hagens, January 02, 2011, 06:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

On my many different walks I see some pretty odd things. This is what I saw this morning, found a house on a barge to be odd. I read the signs and I guess it's a bunk house of some sorts.
Does anyone see odd things that are there one min and gone the next?

Jeff

Not since the change in medication. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D Hagens

Quote from: Jeff on January 02, 2011, 06:33:13 PM
Not since the change in medication. :)

:D :D :D Yeah that reminds me, my best friend Shelia calls me today and tells me there's a huge windmill up on the mountain the other day and now it's gone! :o I had to ask her about her meds and to google it and send pics :D If it's real I will post em :)

Magicman

If I saw a barge on my walk, I'd have someone call 911.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paul_H

It's good to see the Coast Mountains in the background.It's almost been a year and it made me a bit homesick.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

D Hagens

Yup there`s something about the mountains covered in snow that always makes it feel like home.
Guess you miss stuff like this too.

Chuck White

The last thing that I saw that was there one minute and gone the next (actually less than a minute) was the nice Whitetail Buck that I missed on the last day of hunting season back in December.  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

D Hagens

I was walking along a beach on Bowen Island one morning and this came flying along the waters and pulled up on the beach. :)

I really have no idea what they were doing as they pulled up, jumped off then took off again. I'm searching the beach for rocks and these guys come out of nowhere.  :)

Dave Shepard

Maybe they saw a really nice rock with a high powered telescope and wanted to get it before you. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Paul_H

You're thinking wealthy puddin stone collectors? :D

D Hagens

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 04, 2011, 09:42:32 PM
Maybe they saw a really nice rock with a high powered telescope and wanted to get it before you. :D

Well I hope they found it 8) Tax payers money hard at work yet again. 8)
When I live on Winter Cove Bay on Saturna Island these guys were the only ones that could get a person off the island if they needed to get to the hospital in a rush.
We had no doctors there, no lawyers and no cops. 8)

D Hagens

Me and Darla went for a walk at White Rock today.

D liked this gull.......it made me hungry for fish and chips! :)

Here's a cool boat that me and D would love to live on!

It sure was windy and cold but holding hands with D made for a great day. :)

sprucebunny

Nice old tugboat.
I always wanted to live on/remodel one of those.
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like an interesting place to live !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

D Hagens

On our way to the river there's this cool farmhouse that sits in the middle of a turf farm.

This is Golden Ears, there's a ice field behind it.

Here's a few Canada geese that forgot to fly south for the winter. :)

K D just told me that there's no such thing as Canada geese cause their really American geese........is she pulling my leg? :D

doctorb

If I had a walk with all that stuff, Id be thinking I was Alice in Wonderland  :D.   
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

D Hagens

Well it wasn't really on our walk it was more like on our way back from a walk dropping off some Aisha (sp) wood to a customer that we saw a new born lamb.  :) I've seen hundreds of lambs born back on the farm. This is the first time Darla has ever seen a baby lamb before and the first time she's ever held one. :)

She wanted to bring it home. :)

I told her that the potatoes that were gonna go around it were bigger then the lamb so we would have to wait a few months. :D :D
The customer also had this cool birds nest on the property.

And we saw this one while out walking this morning. If it was a bit bigger and my flat screen would fit I'd move in there. :D

beenthere

Looks like the BC area. ??

Take the lamb home for Darla?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D Hagens

Yup it's the lower mainland of B.C :)

Will bring the lamb home for D when it's older and the temp on the BBQ is just right! :D 8)

D Hagens

Well I was walking trough the forest yesterday morning, nice and peaceful. Sure is nice to see how mother nature works.

Seeing new trees and the old ones and how everything works as one. :)

And then I see this. :o

Why is it that years ago when they logged they never cleaned up behind themselves?

Paul_H

I always find it interesting to come across evidence of man in the forest whether it is an old homestead,aboriginal or logging.
In Squamish there is still remenants of Merril and Ring's Railroad logging from the water through to Brohm Lake.
The abandoned rail line is popular with hikers and history buffs.
I was thinking of this very thing this morning while having breakfast,how man's efforts rarely last long before rotting or rusting away.I was thinking on spar trees and guyline stumps and how hard they worked to rig the trees and yard the logs.
Most of the spar trees would have been felled and used again but there were a few in Squamish that were left standing and we could see one from our kitchen window in Brackendale while I was growing up.Over the years the surrounding regrowth grew tall around it and the once mighty spar tree lost height through decay and eventually swapped vertical for horizontal.They logs they yarded are probably still around in the form of houses and boats and furniture all over the country even though the men that logged there are long gone.

There is also a old 2" dia cable skyline left over from Merrill and Ring that is all but gone from rust and fir needles.It would have bore the weight of many large turns of logs over 80 years ago and now is vitually soil.
I appreciate some people object to a misplaced fuel tank or old car or tractor but it's fun for some to stop and consider the lives of others that were there before us.How hard they worked and where are they now.

treefarmer87

you dont see very much metal around here lying around. people take them to the scrap/junkyard for money.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Onthesauk

As the trees mature on my piece and all the underbrush dies back I too see the old logging junk appear again.  Most common is 1/2 to 5/8 inches of cable strung through the woods.  You have to wonder if back in those days it was faster and cheaper to just buy new cable for the next job of if this was gypsy loggers using their last piece of cable, too old to save.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Paul_H

Up until the early 90's we were allowed to leave the cable in the bush along side the road.Our mainlines on the yarder were 1¼" x 1200' and the haulback was 7/8 x 3600'.
We would yard for awhile and up end them a couple times(swap ends on the drum) till they were too worn out for yarding.The 7/8 was cut up in the good sections for chokers,24 feet or longer and also sections 250' for loading lines on the shovel loaders.
The 1¼ line wasn't as usefull but the scrap dealers would come and get it but I used a bunch as rebar in a slab and it worked just dandy.

D Hagens

When we go for walks at  UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest in Maple Ridge there's signs of the past that really make one reflect.
It's interesting to see how man has left his mark that will always be there but yet mother nature still thrives and carries on the way she has done for years.

Paul_H

What kind of signs,do you have any pics from your past walks there?
I like looking at the old plume remnants from the Wallachin settlement between Cache Creek and Savona.Built over a hundred years ago but now sunbaked in the desert and returning to the soil.
When we were building road by the St Agnes Well hot springs we hiked up the hill to see the petraglyphs left by the In-SHUCK-ch people on the base of a cliff.There are still clear signs there of the Douglas trail built in the 1800's as well.

I enjoy the pics of your walks by the way.

Thank You Sponsors!