iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A walk around the lake (PHOTO INTENSIVE)

Started by Jeff, May 10, 2011, 01:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Since having shoulder surgery and beginning physical therapy, I made the commitment to myself that when ever the weather was good, to walk into town to therapy, then go on around Bud lake to come home. I'd been wanting to take a video of my walks to share on the forum, but it takes an hour and a half for me to get around the 5 miles, and thats just to much video. If I get to the point I can ride my bike yet this summer, I'll try and still record the whole trip.

Today using my phone I took a few photos and a few video clips. I really enjoyed the walk today, even though half way around my physical therapist pretty much beat me up. ;D  It was a beautiful day, and this make 8 trips around the lake now in the last two weeks. The first really nice day we had. A bit windy as you can see in the video clip from the north end of the lake.

I'll post some photos I snapped on the way around, then a few video clips. :)

Just about 50 yards from my driveway.

Just down around the first corner from my house

Down the hill heading south on the southeast corner of Bud Lake. Just before the boat launch.

The Boat Launch, South end of the lake.

Sign getting swallowed just up the hill after the boat launch

Southwest corner of the lake.

Just across the road from the previous photo beside our local grocery store

Heading north

A bit farther north on the west side of the lake.

They are widening the main drag and taking out some nice white oaks. Last time by these were 8 foot logs. No sign of any hardware. I'm in no shape to inquire about them. Shame, as they had very close grain and looked like really good wood. The nice stuff was bucked up and already gone.

photo to show size at what was left of the second log up this tree.

Pretty tough to walk through our town without seeing a log truck or a forest products load of some sort.

God Bless local son, PFC Robert Friese killed in action on April 29th.
http://freedomremembered.com/index.php/pfc-robert-m-friese/

approaching small complex where my physical therapy office is.

Another Log truck parked as I leave therapy.

South end of the State Park, near the North west corner of Bud Lake.

Park Entrance

Big old pudding stone to the right of the park sign.

Looking into the park. Only one camper.

Side walk on the north end of the park, leading down around the north end of the lake. Looking East.

A bit farther down the same sidewalk

Northeast corner of the lake, looking across the lake to the state park at the C.C.C. constructed structure near the breach. Its a great building built of timbers and huge stones with a fireplace you can stand in.

South end of the lake, less than a mile into the walk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zPe1sI8WjI

Senseless clip as I walk into the therapy office
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Van0fwbB5tc

North end of the lake, about 3 miles into the walk. Just past our State Park I tried to describe whatI was seeing, but the wind drowned me out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbyabF9JjU

Around the northeast corner, about 3.5 miles into the walk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qGxaJaaBY

Farther down the east side, into the hills. I get gabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI24CFlk4Po

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Now that we walked around the lake I'm feeling a little tired. :)  Some of the places looked familiar (from pigroast), a nice walk.  Glad I'm not the only one that takes senseless video ;).

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

doctorb

Man! I'm bushed!  One thing is missing though..... the video clip of you being tortured in PT?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Nice photos of the area. Good to get out for a walk after a long winter. Still a wintery feel though with this NW wind. :D

I noticed the oak block with the foot. My brain was thinking of a project or two I could make by slicing that up. Was it at least 16" long? ;D

Nice little bunch of bloodroot. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

Jeff with those concrete sidewalks you could always get a skateboard untill your shoulder mends. :D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Or a push scooter.  Get the heart working a little. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

A nice walk. Not many sidewalks in my town.  ;D  Wind has been blowing here too. Today suppose to be even worse than what it has been.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

I remember Haskell's Tire Store, they fixed my car tire last August. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Quote from: pigman on May 10, 2011, 11:49:13 AM
I remember Haskell's Tire Store, they fixed my car tire last August. 8)

Bob, notice how I did not take a photo of lakeside. ;)

Kansas

Curious about something. That log truck with the logs stacked across ways. What kind of wood is it and why sideways? Not something I would see around here.

Jeff

Its aspen, and its cut 100 Inch. You can get much more on a truck hauling crosswise than lengthwise with 8 foot wood.

doctorb

I hate to question a former logger about tree ID, but isn't the bark on those logs pretty dark for aspen?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Never a logger, I was a Sawyer.  :)    I just guessed what was on it without looking back close at it by who the truck belonged to, and knowing what it usually hauled. I did go back and look at the full size photo, and you are right, it was not aspen, but you would not know it so much by the bark in the photos, you can tell by the end of the logs.  It's most likely a load of red maple.

doctorb

OK, I was wrong about the logger thing.   :D ;D ;D

DanG

Does the guy at the tire store drool every time that truck goes by? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Probably not, because that particular tire store does not deal in anything larger than pick up tires.  :)

Mooseherder

I've been meaning to ask you about a certain Street light in Harrison Jeff.
It weren't no regular traffic signal type of light just more of a Light hung in the center of the intersection by the Guide wires.  You know which one I'm talking about? ;D
I have a picture of it in the camera and will post it later.

Jeff

Actually I have no clue. Looking forward to seeing what you are talking about. :)   You aint thinking about my flying pig are you? :D

thecfarm

I see wood so called tree length and wood stacked cross ways. Don't see trucks and trailers that way here though. Usually just trailers trucks or straight jobs. Was a thing quite a few years ago the guys would haul a small trailer behind a straight job. Probaly would not hold much more than 6 cords I think. Probaly about 15 years ago there was a paper that I sold to that was taking 4 foot wood. They could not handle 8 foot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Verso still buts 4' in one of their mills in Maine and I think another mill as well. They take it anyway they can get it at times. Tree length comes off crown lands mostly and much is exported if it's hardwood. It's mostly tree length aspen and hardwood now. I think Huber takes 100", but maybe they have changed. Some mills take mixed aspen/hardwoods and random length. ;D

thecfarm

Must be up by the border where you are. Jay and Rumford are the mills I deal with, will buy 8 foot. Are you saying these mills still can't handle 8 foot wood? The way everyone in a rush now to make a dollar I'm surprised they can get 4 foot wood.

Mooseherder

No, but the flying Pig was cool.
That lucky Swampdonkey won a nice saw when the Pig flew. :)
This is the one I was talking about.  It was in a spot usually reserved for a traffic signal.
I ain't never seen nothing like it before or since neither. :D
It was at the intersection north of you where da liquor store be at not to far from the Deer Tick place.  ;D

Jeff

Just a street light. Very common around here. Almost every county road has one at it's intersection

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!