iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? for 3120 owners

Started by Timberwerks, October 20, 2004, 02:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

I just put the new coil in my saw and everthing seems to be ok. The question I have is does your saw sound like it's popping and full throtle? I know the sawe has an electronic speed governor, is this what I am hearing? When I put my tach on the saw it reads fine until I get above 11,000 rpm and then the reading becomes eratic. Is this just how the governor works?

Dale

ccicora

The 3120 has the limiter located in the coil as you expeceted. When the rev limiter kicks in you only get every other spark. That is what gives you the different sound. If you are not going to race the saw at all I would change out the coil for a 272 or 372 coil. You will need to set it just right but it will allow the saw to rev up farther. Also, when you do this you will need to re-jet the high end of the carb settings so that the saw does not lean out.
Later,
Chris
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Timberwerks

Thanks Chris

That explains why I get a strange readout on my digital tach as well above a certain rpm.

Dale

ehp

what you are hearing is the governor coming on, what you should see on your tach is the number climb fast and then drop cause it does not fire every stroke once up on rpm's, if you are seeing 11,000 rpm's you have a good coil for a new one cause alot of them now only rpm at 10300. yes the 272 coil does work but you will need to retime your flywheel , cut the crankcase just a bite so the coil fits , for a work saw not worth it plus if you rev your 3120 up high you have a good chance of the rod breaking and that will ruin your day :'(

Timberwerks

Thanks ehp

The saw seems to run perfect. I'm just breaking it in yet, after that it's home will be on a sawmill. The tach does exactly like you said. The only thing I have a problem with is lugging it around, my shoulders are hurtin.

Dale

Thank You Sponsors!