iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone recognize this craftsman planer?

Started by Ocklawahaboy, April 17, 2014, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Found this planer a couple of hours from home in a local advert.  I've got to pass right by there tomorrow on other business so I thought I might take a look.  It's at the top end of my price range but much less than I would get a used high end planer.  It will either be this one or a little 13" bench top model.  I can't find anything about it online to even know if I could get blades.  Does anyone know what model it is?  Have any experience with it?  It looks heavy duty but looks aren't worth much.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

beenthere

What size is this one? More than the 13" I suspect.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ocklawahaboy

Sorry, this is a 15". I can find info on a 15" planer/moulder but it's not this one.

Larry

It looks like one of the generic 4 post 15" machines.  Made in Chiwan and imported by everybody.  I don't know who came up with the original design.  Probably a morphed clone from a USA machine.

I bet parts are available from Craftsman or maybe Grizzly for less money.  I think you can download a Grizzly manual.

I think they are a pretty good machine for the price.  About the only trouble I've heard of or seen is leaky gearbox's and there not a hard fix.  I think all of them came with a 3 hp motor which is on the small side for a 15" machine but still quite usable.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

What is the model number? I am sure I can look up parts, obtaining them may be another issue.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ocklawahaboy

That's part of the problem, don't have the number.  It's supposed to be wretched weather tomorrow.  Probably not a good time to bring a machine home in a pickup. The lure of a larger planer, vs the purely bench top versions has me tempted though.

petefrom bearswamp

I had a jet 15" of the same vintage/design
Was a bullet proof machine.
Had it for 15 years and no leaks or other problems
Only sold it because i upgraded to a wider machine.
It was however very noisy when I planed and ran the 5 hp dust collector.
My neighbor called it the jet plane.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!