iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western Kansas Walnut/Oak Trees

Started by dworcesteronw, November 28, 2022, 03:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dworcesteronw

Ok, so very new to this, I just bought a sawmill a month ago and have only used it a couple of days.  My dad who is 91 has been having the time of his life playing with the new toy.  He has a small patch of land that he would like to plant Oaks and Walnuts to. What else would a 91 year old want to do beside plant a few thousand trees.
My Question are?

How will Oaks and Walnuts do in Western Kansas?  ( There are some Oaks around, but not really Walnut)

What kind of spacing would you plant them on in this dry climate? (I see the recommendations on line, but don't know if some of you are more knowledgeable)

How many years until they get to a harvestable age out here?

beenthere

As a teacher, you probably already know of the resources from the Extension Services. Possibly a forestry extension as well.

Conservation Tree Planting Program

Also

Forestry
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

start collecting acorns and walnuts.  when small, they will need water supplementation.  It will be fun to try.  @Cardiodoc has started a dozen walnut trees from nuts.  He is teaching his teen daughter about wood and trees and figures they will be a resource for her.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

There are a few walnuts on our place west of your land over on 190th. They look decent, no idea how old they are, but they do OK.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

Is there a creek through your property?  do you have irrigation wells, or windmills for cattle tanks?  can maybe set up a simple drip system to give them some advantage without de-acclimating them to the western Ks climate.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dworcesteronw

Doc, 
Good idea on the collecting acorns and walnuts.  I will have to see if I can find any Oaks or walnuts around Olathe here where I am at.  There are some Burr Oaks out west on the land, but I am not finding too much information on how those are for lumber.  There is a creek where I am building the cabin, but not near the land where dad is thinking about planting the trees.  It is however it is right next to the edge of town, there is a fire hydrant 50' away.

doc henderson

I have seen the most acorns in towns near restaurants/parking lots where the squirrels must fear to tread.  It may be a small tree but hundreds of acorns left on the ground.  My oak, they rarely hit the ground as the squirrels take them right off the tree.  I have folks offer me 5 gallon buckets full of walnuts.  If I accept a few, maybe we can cross paths at some point.  

barbender

Bur oak is a type of white oak. It is very rot resistant and makes great trailer decking for one thing. Settlers would use the bur oak for sills and bottom courses of log houses. Plus, it may be native to that area in creek bottoms. I know it grows out in the Black Hills and into Eastern Wyoming.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

Even Kansas has foresters with the extension offices.  you might see if there is one for your area, or cheat and contact the one in you KC area home.  In fact, I met a local tree guy, and he married the forester from Hays.  I will try to get you the number.

Texas Ranger

If you collect acorns, before you waste time, float them in a bucket of water, if they float, throw them away and keep the sinkers. Floaters have worms and holes.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Riwaka

Can also have a go at growing Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) from cuttings. 

Thank You Sponsors!