Walnut

Started by Hi-Country Orange, December 19, 2009, 07:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi-Country Orange

Is there a difference between American walnut, & Black walnut
or are they one in the same. And how many types of walnut
are there in north america ?

Clark

Black walnut (Juglans nigra)and "American walnut" should be the same thing.  There is a European walnut (Juglans regia) which I've read is the same as Circassian walnut.  There are probably others too but those two come up most often in the world of wood.  After some more searching, it appears that Wikipedia has a pretty good list of some species of Juglans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Juglans

There is one other member of the walnut family in North America, that is butternut (Juglans cinera) which, roughly speaking, has a range similar to that of black walnut.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Brian Beauchamp

There is also the Little Walnut, Juglans microcarpa, and the Arizona Walnut, Juglans major. The 'American' walnut is most likely, as Clark said, the same thing as Black Walnut and used by people that want to distinguish between it and the English Walnut. That's why they began using the latin naming system...so there would be a universal way to talk about and refer to individual species and to help avoid the confusion over common names, of which may be used several times for various species (Ironwood) or one species that may may several common names (Bois D'arc/Hedgeapple/Osage Orange).

Ron Wenrich

There are lots of different types of walnut.  Here's the list from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut#Species_and_classification

There's no American walnut listed, but I would believe it to be black walnut.  Some of the other walnuts are used in flooring, so that's seems to be where the distinction comes in to play.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Yes, black walnut also known as eastern black walnut is also America Walnut.
~Ron

Clark

After perusing the wiki link above it is obvious that there are many species of walnut, even in North America (learn something new everyday).  In the east there are only two that are of commercial importance (as I understand it): black walnut and butternut.  California has several species but I can only decipher that one actually grows large enough to be commercially important.  One source I was looking at said it was often sold as "claro walnut".

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ironwood

The name and identification of walnut can be problematic for many. I have had urban tree guys call me up w/ "walnuts", only to find Tree of Heaven (they were only reading the leaf), or Butternut (they didn't see the variation in bark types).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hi-Country Orange

Thanks everyone for all the replies, i now have the info i was looking for.   :)
                                                                                                     Randy

Thank You Sponsors!