iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This time I want to plant some poplar trees ...... but how?

Started by woodbowl, January 28, 2006, 12:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't mind trying 3 or 4 tulip trees if the source was from northern NY state. I suspect they would be tough to get. It almost overlaps the range of silver maple, which is a touch further north and west. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think there is one on the UNB campus in Fredericton.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

Maybe a protected area with a good southern exposure.  The biggest thing is that it needs pretty good soil.  We only see it on the better sites.  Go up the mountain, and when the soils get thinner, tulip poplar has a harder go of it.

We often see tulip and ash growing on similar sites. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

The site I have planned is as good as it gets in New Brunswick and calcarious, and no shortage of water. Soil is sandy clay loam and gravelly, small stones, soil PH around 6.5. Lots of white ash (1000's), some basswood, scattered sugar maple. And I'm only at 360 ft ASL. I'm sheltered from the west winds by a mountain that rises above my woodlot. All my ground slopes southward. I do have some wet ground, but I'm looking at putting them on little knowles with 30" + soil depth.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

I can't remember ever seeing any of these trees, I was told that they like a little warmer weather than here.  However up at Paul Smith's there is a Catalpa growing so anything is possible I guess.  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

woodbowl

That is a good link Stew. Yellow Poplar is what the old timers around here called them. The map at the bottem shows north Georga as being as far south as they range. Not sure why.

Well ............. it just so happens that I sawed Poplar today! I guess we'll call it Southern Yellow Poplar untill we find out what it is for sure. Here's a few pics. Maybe this will help with the I.D.

Planning to cut the crotch on this Southern Yellow Poplar.

Canted out ..... green wood inside

These boards were sawed a few days earlier. They turn brown in one day. Fresh green cant in the background.

Smaller Poplar logs ramped up.

Crotch cut, Southern Yellow Poplar

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

That's some good looking wood WB, hope mine turns out as good. I've got a bunch of those small logs myself.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Quote from: jon12345 on January 30, 2006, 10:22:43 PM
I can't remember ever seeing any of these trees, I was told that they like a little warmer weather than here.  However up at Paul Smith's there is a Catalpa growing so anything is possible I guess.  ???

That's why I think it will be difficult to get seedlings from up there. They would be like trying to get silver maple as far up the river as I am. It's native range is here, but I've only seen about half a dozen on a river island in Florenceville. Other than that I see them on people's lawns, but they aren't natural trees, they're transplants.  According to USDA the average winter temperature of the northern range is 19 F. We get near that average here on rare occassions but normally it's around 10 F. It's been an acceptional winter here, but has not broke the old record of 19 F (18.6 this year) yet. But that is in Caribou, Me which is usually 3 or more degrees cooler than here. For instance it was 19 F there yesterday, while it reached 25 F by 11 am here.

Pullinchips

woodbowl,

Yes that is yellow poplar M. Liriodendron tuliperfera.  I am positive of it. i cut lots of it for firewood from around my white oaks which i am keeping to feed my deer and squirrels.

-nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

SwampDonkey

Quote from: woodbowl on January 30, 2006, 11:00:24 PMThe map at the bottem shows north Georga as being as far south as they range. Not sure why.

The Dendro bible shows the tulip tree in northern Florida on their map. ;)

SwampDonkey

I sent off an email today to a good sized nursery in NB about Tulip Tree. Got a receipt, but no response yet. Maybe it will take awhile to formulate a response. Be cool to try.

I know they are selling magnolia shrubs here in NB, they are coming from Asia. I think one variety is star magnolia. I don't know of anyone successfully growing them. Anything I found online about growing them where folks from SC, Georgia and Florida.

Thank You Sponsors!