iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Byrd Shellix eats bullets

Started by Larry, June 14, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

And keeps on trucking with no noticeable damage.  As I was thinking after wards, why wouldn't it keep going with carbide inserts.

Lead bullets have never caused damage in the past, but jacketed bullets such as these two sometimes kill bands and conventional planer knives.

For the gun crowd my CSI crew says these were 38 Supers fired from a Colt Chiefs Special. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Even so, I will pass on the bullets. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Larry, I havent planed any bullets yet but I really like my Byrd cutting head. bg

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

They can also show up when making T&G.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LittleJohn

...if I remember correctly from my college days; the speed and feeds for Aluminum, lead and other soft metals are very comparible to most Hardwoods. 

Now would I perposely cut metal with my mill no, but I have sawed a few boards with buck shot, slugs, 22's, etc. and generally had little to not affect on cut or to blade health.  I also generally stop when I see bullets, and dig them out, to lessen my chances of messign up a blade

Larry

In the Missouri River 93 flood  there was a big whack of walnut logs trapped by flood waters in the bottoms.  It was a long time before the waters receded enough to get to the logs and the logger owner was no longer interested.  The landowner started bringing me logs to salvage after a couple of years.  On the first log I must of sawed through 20 bullets on the first pass.  Many of the bullets had jackets and ruined the band.

I called the landowner and he said he always heard a lot of shooting coming from the area after the flood.  It turns out people had been using the stack of logs for a bullet backstop when target shooting.  I still was able to salvage a few thousand feet of lumber...and a lot of firewood.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

You could have marketed that lumber as "highly valuable battle field" walnut.  :rifle:
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Bullets dull my blades pretty well. Just less than steel and maybe a little less than that black glop we run into when we cut mesquite. :( :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

yukon cornelius

on a piece of property near us there is a really nice straight walnut about 30" diameter in the field. my neighbor said the owners use it for target practice. they must wipe their butts with $20 bills and throw away a plate rather than wash it.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!