iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norfolk Island Pine

Started by florida, November 20, 2015, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Anyone ever saw any? I watched a tree service take one down today. They cut the trunk into 10' sections and loaded them on a trailer, I assume to saw since they ground everything else up. The wood is snow white and the sap was very thick, sticky white, and flowed like wood glue. Looked like some kind of latex to me. The butt log was probably 36" across and looked like it could make some unique boards.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ianab

I've never sawn any, but it's popular with wood turners because of the symmetrical knot patters inside the trunk, and it seems stable enough that you can turn a large bowl from a round trunk section, and have it stay on one piece.

It's horrible to handle green because of all that sap that oozes out, but I think that settles down as the wood dries out.

Because of the size  and stability of the wood it might be a good candidate for live edge slabbing and some "Log-Rite" legs?

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

florida

I could see the knot patterns on the ends of the logs. Nice looking stuff.

One guy climbed the tree cutting off limbs all the way to the very top. Made my knees weak just watching. The tree must have been 125" tall or more.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

ScottInCabot

In my limited circle of 'wood turners', we hate sawing this great piece of timber.

The last piece I was luck enough(it doesn't grow here in central Arkansas naturally) get ahold of was 14"diameter and 12' in length....tapering pretty quickly.  I just bucked it into pieces so that each piece would have all the branches near the center.  Unfortunately, I didn't price the pieces high enough and sold out of the chunks in hours on my website.

The stuff makes beautiful bowl blanks!

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Thank You Sponsors!