iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2023 Sawing mission

Started by Ianab, October 21, 2023, 02:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

I did post about this in the "What you Sawing" but I think it's going to need need it's own thread, 

Could the landowner get that 16 x 3 ft Cypress log moved enough to mill it? Turns out his friend's tractor wasn't up the job, no worries I went up and bucked it into more manageable size. We can deal with a ~6ft log as it will makes fence boards or picnic tables.

Like I said in the other post, the trees were taken down when the town put in a new water main, and didn't want random 3ft dia trees falling on it. They left the decent logs, but they were destined for firewood. 

But a bit more about the salvage part. 

This the new pipe and the old tree stumps. 

While I don't think the trees were obvious hazards, being on a riverbank is extra risk.  The crew did spread chips as mulch and plant some smaller native stuff that won't bust a pipe if it falls over. 

Anyway I bucked the  big log into ab 8ft and  6ft. That make good 2X4  stud length, and the shorter section will still make fence boards / outdoor furniture.

A couple of Mac trees that where far enough away to be spared. But they are "old" and starting to lose upper branches.  

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

cutterboy

Will those logs be milled on a Peterson or on a wide band mill? I'd love to see the lumber if you can get some pictures of it.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Good for you. That will make some fence boards.  :o 
Sounds like only one 16 foot log? Sawed into 6 foot long logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: cutterboy on October 21, 2023, 06:43:13 AMWill those logs be milled on a Peterson or on a wide band mill?

My little Peterson. We should be able to wrangle a few live edge slabs for table tops though, by flipping part sawed logs over. 

Quote from: thecfarm on October 21, 2023, 09:27:10 AMSounds like only one 16 foot log? Sawed into 6 foot long logs.

Yeah, the logs are a bit over 16ft. I could have just end trimmed them and milled them at 4m, but where they were left didn't allow me to set up the mill, and Paul's friends tractor wasn't up to moving that size log. So we decided to buck it to ~2.4 m and 1.6 m. The longer ones, aim for 2x4s, and the shorter one 1 x 6 for fence boards / outdoor furniture. 

Anyway, he messaged me yesterday to say they had dragged the logs out into a clear space. I've been and checked the mill today, refitted the busted push bar, sharpened the blade, cleaned the air filter etc. Weather looks good, so I will go an get started on it tomorrow. Next week is back to regular Spring Weather (rain), but hopefully we get a solid start on the mission. 

I'm actually more interested in the smaller Sugi logs that are piled up, in the "firewood" stack. 

And yes there will be pictures. ;)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Started on the short fat cypress log... Might need a little chainsaw work as I work down it, but it's nice and sound.

Having a lunch break now, then back into it. Beautiful Spring day here, but rest of the week has a tropical storm incoming. No weather warnings here, but it will be wind and rain, so see how much I can get down this afternoon.

Jeff

Ianab, How long has it been since you had some sawing like this?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Mill's been packed away for almost 12 months. Good to get it out and make some sawdust. Suspect the body is going to feel it in the morning though.  ::)

Log was a couple of inches oversize for the little mill, so needed some chainsaw work and shuffling of the rails. But get some nice clear 6x1s. and some not so clear 6x4 for garden edging. 

I've packed up for the day, and forgot to get a final picture, Left the log about 6" thick and will flip that over and load it onto another log, and saw out a chunky live edge table top. 

Ianab

Got a couple more hours with the mill today. 

Common to find hidden defects inside this cypress. An old broken off branch that never fullly healed over.  >:(

Or a branch stub that did heal over, but you aren't going to get a #1 board with that in it.  :-\

But other parts of the log were great, one tiny knot in the end of this board, so that's about as good as it gets.  Getting nearer to the pith there was more knots, but they were smaller and tight, so you get acceptable boards. 

Bonus about milling in town, you can get takeaways for lunch  8)

Called it a day (well a 1/2 day) after that. Will get back when there when Paul the owner is available and we will wrangle those chunky bottom slabs over and cut some live edge table tops. (and open up the big redwood log)  I can certainly run the mill solo, but it's 2x the work and 1/2 the production.  :D

Magicman

Yea, I loved seeing the pictures.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dgdrls

And that's the beauty of a mobile swing mill. It's way easier to move the mill than the log,

Awesome stuff @Ianab 

D

Resonator

QuoteBonus about milling in town, you can get takeaways for lunch 
Guessing lunch was "Fish and Chips"? ???
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ianab

Got back to the logs today.  ;)

So I decided to tackle the redwood. Paul told me it was ~4m long, which is the max the standard mill will do. Measured it, and it was 5.1m (16' 8" ?). Rather than lop off 1m+ I bucked it similar to Cypress log, at 3 m and 2 m and could roll the smaller length aside to mill it. 

Yup, it's redwood. 

Had Lil and the kids there after lunch to help offload. 

The boards did get to the trailer.  ;)

Then we turned our attention to one of the bottom slabs from last week. Because the logs are on the ground instead of bunks, you can't get to the bottom of the log. But then I didn't want to, because we wanted some live edge table tops. But even at 2m long, this was a serious piece of wood, and no machinery in site. OK, back to levers and ramps. I picked up a "4WD recovery jack" the other day, and if used carefully, it will move all sorts of things. We jacked and log hooked the bottom slab over, and jacked it over some firewood rounds and into place on top of a previous log. 

While it took some time, no one put their back out or even broke into a sweat.  

Pleasantly surprised, the "left over" piece of the log was ALL clear grain, no knots or defects. So I get what short 6x1 "furniture grade" wood I could off there.

Checking how much I've got left, get a few more boards off there. 

And that's a 6ft x 3ft x 3.5" clear live edge board. I've left that for Paul and told him to take good care of it. It's a sweet table top. 

Magicman

Oh Wow Ian.  Good logs, good lumber & slabs, Plus Good Help.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Mission is still going on. Not many pics as I've been working alone without my usual media crew.  ;)

The "4 metre" Redwood log turned out to be a bit over 5m. Rather than losing 3 ft I bucked to 3m & 2m, so still useful lengths.  

Again, single handed and no machinery,  so I jacked the 2m section away and milled that, flipping the bottom 1/3 over onto some firewood rounds to get another live edge slab. 

longtime lurker

Ive done about 5 logs the hard way (ie no mechanical assistance ) in my life. Hard yakka that: hats off to anyone that tackles decent sticks with hand tools.

Getting some nice boards there too mate!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Peter Drouin

That can be a lot of work for sure.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nebraska

Ianab

Got into the Redwood 2nd log today, More knots and defects, but some good wood still.

Then... 

Not a big deal, local hardware store has "starter cord" by the metre, so I will go and get some tomorrow  and re-string the starter. That's a whole other mission, but not a huge expense.  :)

cutterboy

Ianab, I hate when that happens! I always have a problem re-stringing the starter. Just a pain.

Ianab

Quote from: cutterboy on December 08, 2023, 07:19:25 AM
Ianab, I hate when that happens! I always have a problem re-stringing the starter. Just a pain.

Yeah, not too bad as it's the 2nd time I've had to do it. Having 3 hands would help though  :D

Got a couple of hours in yesterday and tidied stuff up. Busted the bottom slab into 3 short sections we could flip up by hand and made small live edge slabs.  This is my "Kitset Coffee Table", with a live edge slab, some 3x3 legs and some random 1" boards to make a shelf.

Some assembly required.  :D

We have a heavy rain watch in place at the moment. It's not cold, but wet and ~100% humidity.

Ianab

Still going on the mission. A few hours here and there. Got the 3 big logs all squared away and stacked. Then decided how to tackle the Sugi cedar... 2-3 ft dia logs, stacked 4 high  ::) No machinery  :-\

OK, off-road recovery strap wrapped around the bottom log and onto the back of the Toyota.  :D  A recovery strap has a bit of stretch so you don't get a violent jerk when it pulls tight, but you get the momentum of the pull applied. Flipped out the first log I wanted, so I will deal with that next.

Next log on the big stack on the left is more of a challenge, It's about 30" on the big end and a bit over 16 ft long. But I think if I buck it into 2 x 8ft logs I can wrench those out of the stack. Several large logs are stacked above it. but I'll be uphill and heading away on the end of a 30 ft tow strop at that point. Once the mess gets to ground level then high lift jack, a big log hook and some cunning plans will sort out the details.

Magicman

The strap and Magichook are your friends.   :)

Like eating an elephant....one bite at the time.   thumbs-up

Ianab

I know it's 2024 now, but still nibbling away at that Elephant.  ffcheesy

So this morning I did some mill maintenance, stacked the assorted boards and pondered the log stack. I figured the top one was the safest to work with, so I climbed up and bucked it into 2 x 8 ft logs, then jacked them off the top of the stack. Have to reset the jack a few times as log rolled, but some stray blocks of wood take care of that, and add some insurance in case the jack slips out. 

20240218_153448s.jpg

Then jacked it onto the bunks.

20240218_153916s.jpg

Done. 

20240218_154223s.jpg

The other 1/2 rolled clear from the top of the stack. 

20240218_155020s.jpg

Ianab

It takes me about 10 mins to reset the mill single handed and not rushing (it's warm and humid) The mill is easier to move than a log. Obviously with machinery you could do this faster, but you work with what you have. 

20240218_160148s.jpg

Checking what we have, ~54cm. Log was slightly oval.  

20240218_160319s.jpg

Skimmed the top of the log, and cut a few 1 x 1 drying sticks 

20240218_161727s.jpg

Then got into sawing mostly 6x1, good for wall panelling etc. Took and hour to get down to this. Left the log log there so I cam flip and saw the other side for a live edge slab. 

20240218_170313s.jpg

Ianab

Then I flipped up the ugly bottom slab from the last log and made that into a 2" live edge "shape".

20240218_170718s.jpg

20240218_172240s.jpg

One of the better boards. From what I have read Sugi is probably most closely related to Giant Redwood, but is usually a lighter colour. These trees aren't that old, and were never managed for timber, so the logs have a few lose knots in places. But in the right location they actually grow pretty fast, and produce a light but durable timber.
 20240218_172751s.jpg

beenthere

Ian
You sure could use a LogRite mill special cant hook.  ffcool

Cut out that jacking.   :wink_2: :wink_2:

Nice boards coming from those logs. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I do have a big log hook, that works pretty well. It's good for rolling logs on flat ground, but it's hard to get any lift to got over an obstacle, or up onto the log bunks. The jack is slower, but can put a lot more force on a log, with minimal effort on my part.

Ideal would be a tractor of course, just not an option here.

Magicman

I thought the use of the Hi-Lift jack was very innovative.  ffcool

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2024, 10:22:25 PMI thought the use of the Hi-Lift jack was very innovative.  ffcool
Ya work with what you got.  I actually thought of it when visiting a local logging museum, and they had some pretty fancy manual jacks for wrangling BIG logs back in the day. If it worked 150 years ago, it probably still works today. 

So the big log hook got the log to the bunks, but lifting it up the slope? Wasn't going to happen. Set the jack, lift / roll it, and kick that chunk of wood in under it when I needed to reset the jack.  A few minutes and I'm good to go. 

Ianab

This sort of thing. An old picture of 4 guys using jacks to move a freaking huge log. 

https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/12747/using-timber-jacks

cutterboy

lanab, there are a lot of logs in that stack. You better quit your day job and saw logs full time. :wink_2: ffcheesy

Ianab

Got back to the log pile again this afternoon. Jacking the next log out of the stack.  Main worry with jacking logs like this is if the jack slips out, what's going to happen? So it's jack a bit, insert blocks, reset jack, repeat as needed. 

It might be a bit hard to see, but at this point If jacked the log up out of notch it's sitting in, and inserted some firewood rounds to hold it up. Now lower an inch so it's resting on those, and I can reset the jack.

Reposition and jack a bit more, and it's clear. FF calculator suggests the log is over 2,000 lb, so you don't want to be under it. 

A bit more putzing around and I'm good to go. Log is 4 meters long (~15ft). Basically the max for the mill, but I can set up the rails where needed, rather than having to shuffle a ton of log forward or back. 

But after cutting a few sticker to open up the log... 

And it got worse as I got deeper in.  :uhoh:

It's a risk you take with salvage trees, or pretty much any log for that matter. I did get some really good stuff, like full length 6" wide clear boards. And the 1/2 of the log above the rot was solid, so probably still got 3/4 of the wood as usable boards, just some of it shorts. Taylor's class has a new laser engraver, and "tech week" coming up. The sugi will be dry enough by then to run some through the planer and drop it off to school. So the shorts wont be wasted. 

Ianab

Calling it quits on this mission. Some of the logs are were getting too far gone / punky / bugs from sitting on the ground. Got some good stuff, and most of the last log went up to Taylor's school for their "Tech Week". I'd mentioned to her teacher at the start of the year that I might be able to supply some wood for the "tech" stuff. Anyway he got back to me with cut list, shorter 2x2 and 1x4 stuff, that I could get out of a dodgy log. And some 6x1 that I've planed for their laser engraver. 

It saved the school ~$600 in wood, and they can work with Sugi, as opposed to pine. 

Magicman

You made a very nice contribution and one that the teacher and students will not soon forget.  ffsmiley  Actually you are a sorta hero.  :thumbsup:

Ianab

Taylor came home with this today. It's engraved on a little off cut of Monterrey  cypress I'd sent in. Signed on the back by the class, and nicely oiled to show the grain and colour.  ffsmiley

20240322_140610s.jpg 
20240322_140623s.jpg

So they obviously have got the laser cutter working, and now have some wood to play with. 

thecfarm

Nice!!!
Looks like your daughter signed it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

That is really nice! Something to treasure for the rest of your life.
This is what life is all about. You share your time and energy and unique ability with your family and community and they in turn show their appreciation by giving their time and energy to you.
I find this heart warming and hopeful for the future.

Magicman

The plaque is a nice gesture and the signatures on the back show a very wide variety of personalities.   :thumbsup:    That is a keeper for sure.   ffsmiley

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Some pics from the school. They got some sponsorship from the local hardware store, but they only needs potting mix. pots and seeds, so they were well stocked with those. 

20240321_095749s.jpg20240321_095621s.jpg20240321_123408s.jpg20240321_125654s.jpg

SawyerTed

The plaque and those photos are better than cash!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

archeryplus

Very cool mill, alot of great excersize, and sweet looking wood!  Best way to spend the day.

Thank You Sponsors!