iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving south

Started by Bruno of NH, March 13, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I been thinking about it alot.
Winter is real hard on me with my health.  
I wouldn't start a sawmill business as all you folks have that covered. Maybe one of you guys would like someone to saw for you once and again. Maybe help with sales ect. 
I would probably build a tiny house to live in if possible. 
Take this year and maybe part of next to close things out in New Hampshire. 
I have only been to Florida I don't think that's a good fit for me.
The cost of living and property taxes are getting crazy in New Hampshire. Lot of money moving in. New Hampshire is a good place if your wealthy it has a lot of advantages.  
I'm not a city person.  Some friends moved south and said they didn't feel welcomed .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

moodnacreek

Many go to N. Carolina, they call them *DanG Yankees.  Around here the money moved up a long time ago. It is a trade off, there is money to be made but you have to put up with them. On the other hand they support good health care, that's why I can't leave. Let us know what you find in the south and good luck, Doug

Bruno of NH

It was one of the Carolinas that my friend went to.
He said the local white folks weren't very welcoming to them .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Raider Bill

Florida is getting crazy expensive.
I'd look at South Carolina or Tennessee. No state income taxes for one thing.

As far as getting along, A lot depends on you. The worse thing you can do is start a sentence with,"up north we did it this way".

When I first bought the Tennessee land the local hillbillies were pretty standoffish.
They warmed up to me after awhile when they saw I wasn't there to change anything and didn't act like a know it all.
Respect goes a long way.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

We moved from Southern NY to Western NY and found the same thing. In small towns residents don't like anyone that didn't go to school with them.  I think you will find that sediment anywhere and just ignore  the idiots. If it gets bad call the cops and town officials on them. Soon they will leave you alone. Biggest thing that counts  is find an area with decent health care that doesn't  involve a day trip.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

Boy now that is a hard one to answer. I'd suggest you narrow it down a little more to at least a few states then weigh the pros and cons of living there in each of them. Check the states tax policies and such. Texas, Florida and Tennessee don't have state income taxes but the property taxes may be higher. Some states may not tax your social security if/when you draw it. What kind of medical do you expect to need now and in the future.

Do you have steady income or are you going to need to continue working and if so how much are you going to need to earn to survive or live comfortably? Some places, like here are pretty economically depressed and wages are low and sales of anything you produce is affected accordingly.

Sounds like you are looking for a rural area and it may take a while to break the ice and make friends there although I find rural folks tends to be more laid back and generally friendly than city folks.  We lived and visited all all over the world and had exchange students from other countries and my wife said she had more culture shock when we moved here to WV than any other place she'd been. People can be real clannish. Many are salt of the earth and I love them dearly but it took a while to meet them.

The first 20 years or so here I worked overseas and met and knew few of my neighbors then when I retired and stopped traveling and especially after I bought my mill and started my small business I met a lot more of them.

What kind of hobbies and entertainment would add to where you choose? How about family ties and such?  Its an hour drive to go see a movie, visit a WalMart, Lowes or HF or such for us. If you have kids or grandkids you want to see often that will affect your choices. Do you have a lot of equipment you need to move with you and if so how much land or shop space will you be needing?

These and many others are questions only you can answer and you certainly don't need to answer them here - just to yourself.

Do you want an area where you still experience the 4 seasons even if not as harsh as NH may be? The trade off for the cold winters may be skeeter, snakes, heat and humidity.

Good luck. I hope it works out well for you. I'd love to have you as a neighbor but not sure our winters and such are that much different than some you have.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JD Guy

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 13, 2024, 12:38:53 PMFlorida is getting crazy expensive.
I'd look at South Carolina or Tennessee. No state income taxes for one thing.

As far as getting along, A lot depends on you. The worse thing you can do is start a sentence with,"up north we did it this way".

When I first bought the Tennessee land the local hillbillies were pretty standoffish.
They warmed up to me after awhile when they saw I wasn't there to change anything and didn't act like a know it all.
Respect goes a long way.
This is very good advice. We've moved to GA,TN,LA, and ended up in SC. Wherever we have lived it's incumbent upon you to make acquaintances/friends. Even though southerners are inherently friendly you are going to have to make the first move. With some exceptions we've found that folks don't beat a path to your door. It is off putting when we get people here from other parts of the US and the first thing they do is start off by complaining about how our area is "lacking" compared to where they lived prior. They do not complain however about the lower property taxes or the reasonably mild climate! In Western NC there is still some logging and smaller sawmillers. Some areas have become pricey due to folks moving from the NE with plenty to spend on housing due to what they got for the sale of their properties "up North". But there are pockets that are still affordable you just have to be willing to live a little ways from all of the convenience of close by shopping, restaurants, etc. I wish you well with your search :thumbsup:

rusticretreater

You gotta remember that things change slowly in Appalachia.  These folks have been making their own way for generations, living in the same area for hundreds of years, had ancestors fight for the confederacy and don't like people telling them what to do.  They feel the same way about the government today as they did back then.

The epithet is one word tho, Damnyankees.  One thing northerners bring with them is their political and social views which are totally different up north.  You have to ditch all that and embrace the life in the area you have chosen.  They still value courtesy, helping others and giving each other apple pies.

Be generous with your time, ask for help, ask if you can help.  People in the country talk, so when they talk about you, make sure they say the right things.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

JD Guy

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 13, 2024, 01:40:08 PMYou gotta remember that things change slowly in Appalachia.  These folks have been making their own way for generations, living in the same area for hundreds of years, had ancestors fight for the confederacy and don't like people telling them what to do.  They feel the same way about the government today as they did back then.

The epithet is one word tho, Damnyankees.  One thing northerners bring with them is their political and social views which are totally different up north.  You have to ditch all that and embrace the life in the area you have chosen.  They still value courtesy, helping others and giving each other apple pies.

Be generous with your time, ask for help, ask if you can help.  People in the country talk, so when thy talk about you, make sure they say the right things.
Yep, well said!

doc henderson

Most folks in Hays Ks are the same.  most are related to many in the area.  i was accepted as a doc, but neighbors behind us moved there as they have a disabled daughter that went to long term care in a nearby town.  we were friends, but others did not see a reason to get to know them.  do you have any family or friends down south?  any town with interests such as music in Nashville?  Branson Mo is a nice area but has already been found by many and may be expensive.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WhitePineJunky

It's tough to make friends in a small rural town especially as a CFA(come from away)
Most are suspicious of bringing change, once they realize that isn't the cases
All good 👍 
Try to change vehicles plates asap and fake it till you make it 😆 

NewYankeeSawmill

I transplanted my family from WNY to ETN about 9 years ago...?
Some good advice in the other posts, not much I can add.

"Yeah, I moved down here to get away from all the craziness going on up there! You folks got your head on straight down here! It's a much better place to raise my family."

... Something like that goes A LOOOOOOONGG way to making friends when they notice your accent (e.g. the first time you open your mouth).
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: WhitePineJunky on March 13, 2024, 02:12:27 PMIt's tough to make friends ...Try to change vehicles plates asap and fake it till you make it 😆

My first gig working down here was some remodeling under-the-table with a local guy. He suggested I swap out my favorite hockey team's hat for the local college football team.

"Harder to shoot a fellar when he's wearing your colors."

ffcheesy  ffwave  :rifle: 
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: NewYankeeSawmill on March 13, 2024, 02:47:15 PM
Quote from: WhitePineJunky on March 13, 2024, 02:12:27 PMIt's tough to make friends ...Try to change vehicles plates asap and fake it till you make it 😆

My first gig working down here was some remodeling under-the-table with a local guy. He suggested I swap out my favorite hockey team's hat for the local college football team.

"Harder to shoot a fellar when he's wearing your colors."

ffcheesy  ffwave  :rifle:
It's the truth! Just gotta embrace the local
Attitude! 
I'm speaking as someone who has witnessed LOTS of people move to my rural area since 2020, most have adopted and done well! The ones who come here with expectations don't do good! 

WV Sawmiller

The best advice I always heard was if you want a friend - be a friend. Don't pry but show interest and respect for others. Help if you can, leave them alone if you can't and your offer to help has been declined. Treat folks like you'd like them to treat you.

If you start off with how much better it was up north some folks may tell you you should go back (but all will be thinking it).

Find like minded people to associate with hopefully at churches, school events, local community fund raising projects, etc. Woodworking clubs and associations seem like a good place for you to start because of your skills and experiences there. Those things don't know North from South or Easy from West. Volunteer and donate time and materials to help the community projects.

Asking a local skilled craftsman, hunter or fisherman for help and advice is a good ego booster even though you may already know how to do something.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

I've lived in central Florida since the mid 70's. I probably wouldn't move here now if I had to do it over. It ain't what it used to be. It's way crowded, especially the roads. They are building anywhere they can. It is getting expensive. No state income tax, no SS tax, property taxes are probably no worse than most southern places. If you buy property in Florida the tax rates will reset on the sale price and that might hurt. North central or the panhandle might be better but Orlando is crazy. Forget Miami-Dade.

A real popular bumper sticker used to say "We Don't Care How You Did It Up North". I haven't seen one in a long time, probably because most people here now are from up north. I did meet a fellow last week that was born here. Rare. The news claims we have over 1000 people / week moving into central Florida and I believe it.

It is hot/humid here 5 months a year but winters are mild. Don't think we had a freeze this year in Orlando. Hurricanes happen sometimes but not every year. They can cause problems for a week or so. Bring a generator!

As far as fitting in, you'll meet nice people and others anywhere you go. If you decide to move to Georgia, don't tell anyone you are from Florida. ffsmiley

moodnacreek

Camping up north for 53 years [we bought the land last spring] I learned a long time ago I don't want to be one of them. Never the less I have made a few close friends up there. It didn't happen overnight. 2 of them operate sawmills. Merle had a song ' the way I am' and I am good with that. On the other hand in a remote area you help who ever.

21incher

Recently read the cost of homeowners insurance in Florida could go up to 9k for a home by the end of this year if something isn't done to control it. Sounds  like that is something you should look into for the areas you consider. What you save on taxes can easily  disappear to other costs of living. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SawyerTed

I was born in the same city and hospital most folks here in Stokes County were born in.  I was raised mostly around Greensboro and High Point, an hour away from here.  But I'm still not from around here...after 36 years. 

Good  advice has been given on getting involved, finding some common interests with neighbors and never saying "the way we did it ...". 

There's nothing like figuring out the gathering spots for the local retired guys whether it's breakfast at the Bojangles or around the pot belly stove at the country store.  Once you do, quietly hanging around will eventually get you noticed.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Larry

I think the word is due diligence. Do your research and make a short list than visit to confirm.

I really like NW Arkansas. Our economy is on rocket fuel due to the corporate headquarters of Walmart, Tyson Foods, and JB Hunt being located here. Low cost of living, taxes, good health care, shopping, moderate climate, and lots of recreation. I wake up every morning and look out across Beaver Lake to the Ozark Mountains and try to take in a sunset every evening.

The word is out, and we are one of the fastest growing areas in the nation. Because of that locals became an extinct species some years ago. Nobody is from here! Makes it easy for a newcomer to feel right at home. The growth does present a problem as there is a shortage of rentals. Houses are going up all over to keep up with demand. If we don't manage the growth correctly cost of living could go way up along with traffic congestion. Austin Texas faced this same problem years ago and did not manage it well IMO.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

We have extensively traveled the US for the past 30++ years.  Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri would be my choices but I would stay from the Mississippi River areas. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

That's funny, it's actually pretty simple, don't even try to fit in down south, you won't.  We have secret handshakes, secret tells, gestures, and even the way we drive by our neighbors houses that let us all know who is who.   

The best you can do is just try to be a good person, and most will recognize that even though "you aren't from around here."  It'll only take a few years, unless you don't wave when you drive by, or try to be pushy, and then it'll never happen.

North Alabama is the center of the universe and the best place to live in the world.  Of course G-A, Arkansaw, Tensee (not counting Nashville) and MSippi are all in the top 5. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Well one thing I can say is that the summers are hot, really, really, hot compared to where you are now.  About July I start looking at where there may be some chunk of affordable farm ground that is further north, but not too far north, not expensive, not too populated, but has an economy around it so I can make a living.  By the time I have searched through all the websites hosting farm and rural land it's October and it's comfortable again so I give up on that project.  

In all seriousness if you really wanted to come to a rural area that is close enough to a population base so one can still get what they need and have the independence of being out in the country then come and see me.  I will put you on the 70 and in charge of the mill crew.  I need a good sawyer that also knows how to keep a crew moving, also happen to have more than enough land, timber, and equipment that a tiny or not so tiny house could be built without too much trouble.  We are dog friendly around here, only caveat is that you would end up with a view of cows grazing on green hillsides, but we could fence them out of the pond so your fishing isn't disturbed.  I am being serious. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

I have seen folks from West Virginia come into Virginia for the whole day just to do shopping.  I have been asked where to find things and then they take off in a big hurry. You would think they would look up things on the internet so they know where to go(if they have it).

I used to live in Northern Virginia then I moved west to the Shenandoah Valley. The biggest thing I had to deal with was the laid back style of the people who run businesses.  A lot of businesses are closed on Saturday.  More than once I have found a business closed during the week even though the sign said they had business hours that day.  Also, barber shops are harder to find now.

Getting your car inspected could take half a day.  I needed some brake rotors turned and the guy said come back in a couple of hours.  Then he locked up and went home early with my brake rotors inside the shop.  Luckily I had a second vehicle to get me through and I now own a brake lathe!

Then I figured it out that a lot of these people work multiple jobs to get by.  They have to go home and work on the farm doing things that have to get done now.  Sometimes it seems they just don't care, but its the way they have always done it and if you try to get them to change they can get a bit ornery.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

From your other post, it seems like you really do need a change of scenery. I'd suggest you seriously consider Southside's offer. If he can hook you up with a place to stay and steady job (with weekends off), it takes a lot of stress off you, and life becomes a lot simpler. Run with that for a while, and see where it leads you. Maybe it's a place you want to stay, maybe you move on after 12 months? Who knows. 

What the others have said about fitting into a new community is all correct. "That's not how we did things back home" is the wrong thing to say. "How does that sort of thing work around here?" is a better approach. The fishing advice is especially valid, because even if you know what you are doing, there will be local knowledge (different species / water conditions etc). And just working 4-5 days a week, means you have the time to get some fishing etc in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!