iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timing on White Pine

Started by True North, April 12, 2010, 06:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I have a chance to get some nice pine logs now, but will not be able to saw them until June.  Will the staining and bugs get to them too bad by then to warrant buying now?  How long would I have before they would need to be cut?

woodmills1

what are you wanting to do with them, after sawing?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bandmiller2

TN,if their for barn building or something where appearance is not of great importance store them til june.If they must be pristine waite before you buy.In fact we don't like to cut better grades of pine in the summer ,will bluestain almost overnight.If your going to hold the logs strip the bark, if you can, they will hold better.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

As far as the bugs go, bandmiller2 has it.
Peel the bark off of the logs and the bugs won't bother it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

stonebroke

dump them in a pond

Stonebroke

Doug_D

Don't want to high jack True North's question, but I too will be harvesting some WP in the near future and not sure how quick my sawyer can get to them (weekend guy too).  It is my intent to use them for siding on a log cabin (gables).

They are around 16"-20".  Best way to cut them for siding (board & batten)?

I plan to stack and sticker in my barn loft for a while (with a fan once they dry out a little).

If needed, I can drop them in the morning and then head to the mill that afternoon.  Would be easier on him and I both if I could drop them in the evenings during the week and then he could mill them over the next couple of weeks...when his schedule permits

Thanks.
Just learning...
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Thank You Sponsors!