iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Building Plans?

Started by tacks Y, March 06, 2016, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

I am thinking of putting up a new building this summer, 24' wide 36' long. Thinking 8' overhangs on each side clear span no posts. 12 to 13' tall so I have room to put mill under one side. Is this a bad plan with a solid wall behind mill ( I know blowing saw dust again). Is a 8' overhang enough to mill under? Or is the wall behind the mill  going to make to much work moving wood? I see some of you with free standing roofs, so access to both sides. Ideas? Thanks Tom 

bkaimwood

Sounds like a great project... But, if you want to protect the mill in most weather, 8 foot isn't enough, even with 8 foot walls... Taller wallsmean more room for precipitation to angle itself in there... I think anything under 12' wide is not worth considering... My barn wall height is 12', open on the front end, and it commonly precipitates in 8 foot or more...in bad storms, 15-20 foot...the height is the killer...what other options or ideas do u have?...
bk

tacks Y

The height under mill would be 8-9 feet tall just enough to clear mill. Just thinking I would need a least 3' on the wall side or will this still be to tight? Thinking 12-13' walls 4-12 pitch so I can not go to wide with out running out of height and strength to make it with out posts. I need another tractor shed any ways so this would cover the mill also. Maybe kiln on other 36' wall. The weather comes from the other direction so that would help.

bkaimwood

Good deal with the "weather" direction, that will help ALOT. I have about 3-4 feet between my mill and the inner wall...its plenty of room as long as you keep your area clean...I do struggle with that a bit, especially when production sawing. You plan sounds much like mine. I think I'll be going out 16 feet or so, but committing to going in the ground with posts on the outside of the "lean to". I wish it was simpler, with less work and $$$, but never seems to be...
bk

tacks Y

That is the problem trying to keep the same roof line and still have the height I need.

Thank You Sponsors!