iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First paying job-How much per bd ft?

Started by dirtymartini, May 10, 2021, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

This will be my first real paying job since owning my LT 28 for a few years. The customer is supplying and delivering the logs, EWP, Spruce, and a couple of Hemlock logs. I'm in northeast PA; Is .40 a bd ft working too cheap? The customer is a logger and has a log truck...He says he gets EWP and Spruce fairly often and will bring them on a regular basis. 

maple flats

I used to charge by the hour, $40/hr they tail, $50/hr they don't, but that was 10+ years ago.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Patrick NC

0.40 isn't a bad number. When I saw at home it's .40 for softwood and .50 for hardwoods. Mobile sawing is hourly based on 175 bf per hour@ .45. Usually I average that or better with one offbearer. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

WV Sawmiller

I think you are in the ballpark. I charge $.30 with customer providing the off bearer or $60/hr but I have a hydraulic mill so your hourly rate might need to be different. I did one job last year by myself for $.40/bf with me doing everything - I should have charged more. I could not get any help and was a 50 mile commute. I charge $1/mile one way, one time so extra trips eat into my profits. I don't have a different rate for soft vs hardwood but nothing wrong with that and it is common. Be sure you have a damaged blade fee if you hit metal - put that responsibility on the customer providing the logs. All pricing is fair as long as both parties agree, understand and follow their agreed pricing. Good luck and enjoy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

My first mobile job, I charged 0.30 ft and the customer was supposed to pull boards and help load logs. I worked my tail off and didn't get the help. That's when I switched to an hourly rate and use that as leverage to get help. Amazing how much more helpful a customer is when you explain that your perfectly willing to stack boards for $85/hr but the mill is setting idle when I do that. If I were to mill the customers logs at my place and provide all labor. I think I would be in the .40-.50/ft range. Good luck and keep it fun 😁
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

alan gage

If your spruce is like our spruce I wouldn't saw it for .50/bf.

Slow cutting and lots of band changes.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Resonator

I run an LT28 and bill by the hour. I have a minimum 1 hour charge, and on "large" jobs I charge a lower hourly rate, this I discuss in detail with the customer before I begin. Determining what their budget for sawing is, or if there is a target board foot number they want cut. I work by myself from my home location, and on large jobs there is as much log handling and board stacking as there is sawing. The hourly rate reflects this, and I try to be fair with the customer, and be competitive with other mills. On the last large job I did the customer brought 2 truckloads of logs, but I culled some that wouldn't be worth sawing, saving him money. He also provided his own stickers, so I didn't have to charge him for mine.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

dirtymartini

Quote from: alan gage on May 11, 2021, 12:35:04 PM
If your spruce is like our spruce I wouldn't saw it for .50/bf.

Slow cutting and lots of band changes.

Alan
Just got back to check on this thread, lots of good answers. I am not sure why I am not getting notifications when a reply is made. Anyway, Yes the spruce sucks here also. Lots of knots and slow sawing. The customer wanted as many 12" x 12" beams as I could get out of the logs and the rest I sawed whatever made the most out of the logs. He is going to pick up a couple of loads I have at another location for me with his log truck, I think I will use the .40 cents a bdf for barter against the log truck charge...

dirtymartini

Quote from: Resonator on May 11, 2021, 12:54:25 PM
I run an LT28 and bill by the hour. I have a minimum 1 hour charge, and on "large" jobs I charge a lower hourly rate, this I discuss in detail with the customer before I begin. Determining what their budget for sawing is, or if there is a target board foot number they want cut. I work by myself from my home location, and on large jobs there is as much log handling and board stacking as there is sawing. The hourly rate reflects this, and I try to be fair with the customer, and be competitive with other mills. On the last large job I did the customer brought 2 truckloads of logs, but I culled some that wouldn't be worth sawing, saving him money. He also provided his own stickers, so I didn't have to charge him for mine.
Resonator, thanks for the reply. Do you have a power feed on your LT28? I agree with the log handling, tailing, and stacking work. I have tried to get my girlfriend's son to help but he is pretty much worthless, he only wants to work for beer and I constantly have to remind him what to do.
BTW, is that a Dobro in your profile pic?

Resonator

No power feed, just "Armstrong" power. It came with a rope hand crank feed, but a 22 below zero day made the rope sort of useless. ;D
I work solo, and my plan was (and still is) to trade up to a LT40 hydraulic, but things are a little too crazy to get one now.
In the pic is my resonator guitar. Played like a regular guitar, but with a resonator cone to give it sweet tone. smiley_guitarist
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

maple flats

Wow, a resonator guitar, I thought it looked like a side x side shotgun.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!