iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1" rough cut green treated, where can it be found?

Started by Sedgehammer, March 25, 2020, 11:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Have a shop to be built hopefully when this mess blows over. Wanting to use green treated rough cut board n batten. Anyone know of some suppliers? I did talk to a company out of Houston. I did get some pricing on CCA timbers and 2x and they say they have 1x, but I cannot get them to send me pricing. Called 3x and emailed 4 times. Would rather use someone else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

:o No one......
I did call them again Wed (25th). Spoke to a saleslady, she promised to get it to me on Thursday. Come to think of it, she didn't say what Thursday...... I guess it must be nice to not need customers....

Jim_Rogers

This section is for timber framing.
Maybe we should move this to "General" and see if you get more responses.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Sedgehammer

@Jim Rogers
That's fine Jim if ya think it'll help. I had just thought with guys building mostly out of wood n timbers on this section, it'd be the go to place. Thanks

Don P

Cox used to be our go to for that kind of stuff. They got bought by Culpepper pressure treaters out of Fredricksburg, VA. I'm not sure if their shipping range is that wide or not.

jeepcj779

Is ripping 2x into 1x an option? If you live near the coast, you should be able to get full dimension 2x like they use for building docks and piers. I don't know if you can get it in OK though.

chet

Sedgehammer,  The use of CCA treated material for what you intend to do is not permitted. The facility that I deal with will not even treat 4/4 material. Refer to the attached link for permitted uses.

Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) Pressure Treated Wood FAQs by the Wood Preservative Science Council |
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Sedgehammer

Quote from: chet on March 31, 2020, 09:46:01 PM
Sedgehammer,  The use of CCA treated material for what you intend to do is not permitted. The facility that I deal with will not even treat 4/4 material. Refer to the attached link for permitted uses.

Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) Pressure Treated Wood FAQs by the Wood Preservative Science Council |
Yeah there's that, but it's ag. It's good no one speeds either.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: jeepcj779 on March 31, 2020, 07:21:07 PM
Is ripping 2x into 1x an option? If you live near the coast, you should be able to get full dimension 2x like they use for building docks and piers. I don't know if you can get it in OK though.
Wanting 12" board, 3" or 4" batten. Hard to rip a 12"er. They make trucks, can get it ourselves or hire it in.

jeepcj779

Maybe ripping was the wrong terminology. I mean cutting it down on a sawmill. Should not be difficult to cut a 2 inch board into two 1 inch boards on a mill. Might be very time consuming though.
 When I side my barns later this year, I am going to borate treat my own boards. Treated like that , those boards should outlast me.

Don P

Here's one page from Culpepper, they will do 4/4 boards.
https://www.culpeperwood.com/resources/treatments/

I wasn't really seeing anything deeper than "treated" in your question, the MCA would be fine for this.

They also do borate and can apparently add or leave out the dye per request. For a siding application you would need a water repellant top coat, but really you need that on either.

I'm not opposed to a road trip when this blows over if there is a load back home.

Sedgehammer

@jeepcj779 I had checked that before. Lot's of extra expense. Borate is good for termites, not not so for weathering. I've seen so many B & B fail at the bottom of the boards. Thanks though

@Don P MCA doesn't like fasteners very well, plus there'll be some metal in this. I'll go that route if I must, but I still want it rough cut. I'll give Culpeper a holler. Thanks. oh, yeah, forgot you having your CDL. You added a lot to your yourself lately. Welder and now a CDL also. Just watch any above mentioned speeding in your car/pickup. Those with cherries and berries seem to think CDL licensure gives you specific training in the anti-speeding department.... :D

Magicman

Quote from: Sedgehammer on April 01, 2020, 06:56:40 AMI've seen so many B & B fail at the bottom of the boards.
Prevent splatter from roof runoff and put a 30°-45° chamfer on the backside to provide a sharp drip edge.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sedgehammer

Yup and yup. East has an 18' lean to on it & west has a 10', so they're good. North & south are exposed and have a 2' eave, but 27' ridge is a long way for H20 to blow in against. Will be adding a dark walnut oil preservative.  

Sedgehammer

The outfit from Houston got back to me. Soft quote of $2.25 sq ft for 1 1/8" x 12" CCA. 2 week turn currently. 

DMax82

These guys offer clear treated board and batten for $2.19 a foot. That is for 1x12 plus 1x3. In South Alabama.

http://www.southernwoodspecialties.com/product/board-batten/

low_48

I was reading the other day, "this mess" might take 3 years to blow over. You will have plenty of time for research!

EOTE

This might be a long shot for you but there is a place called Hick's Post Co. at 10690, US-69, Pollok, TX 75969, 1.936.858.3357 (hickspost.com).  They generally do posts and bridge beams and fence materials but they might also be able to provide custom work for you.  I am planning on using them to treat some 2'x6'x12' rough lumber that I cut.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Sedgehammer

Quote from: EOTE on May 05, 2020, 12:09:48 AM
This might be a long shot for you but there is a place called Hick's Post Co. at 10690, US-69, Pollok, TX 75969, 1.936.858.3357 (hickspost.com).  They generally do posts and bridge beams and fence materials but they might also be able to provide custom work for you.  I am planning on using them to treat some 2'x6'x12' rough lumber that I cut.
They are mca treated. MCA is very hard on fasteners. Really prefer cca.

pineywoods

In order to treat wood, it must be dry, most places specify under 20%. Pressure treatment forces a liquid chemical into the wood, it will then be dripping wet..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sedgehammer

Quote from: low_48 on May 04, 2020, 11:47:34 PM
I was reading the other day, "this mess" might take 3 years to blow over. You will have plenty of time for research!
Nah. she's going up this summer.

Thank You Sponsors!