iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Non-OEM chains for Stihl HT-101, Stihl 023, two farm bosses, 18 and 20 in bars

Started by tstex, March 21, 2024, 02:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hello to all,

I was doing some searches for Stihl oil-o-matics chains and when doing so, saw a variety of non-stihl "compatible" chains for all my chain saws.

Wanted to get your opinions on are there compatible chains that are durable, cut well, last and when sharpened, hold a good sharp edge?  I know you get what you pay for, but I rarely go to any car dealership unless my auto is in warranty or factory recall.  We all know their costs are thru the roof.  Does this theory hold on chains too?

My usage is when needed on my 100 acres ranch for pecan trees, live oaks mainly, which includes continued maintenance of trees in/around the 2 acre house areas and all storm related clean-ups.  I also cut very, very hard, aged, live oak trunks for WB stoves and smoking meats.  This wood is very, very dense and very heavy.  Farm bosses only MS 290's

Thank you very much in advance for your help and experience,
tstex

Happy Easter to all.

John Mc

Oregon makes some good chains. Most seem to think they do not hold an edge quite as long as the Stihl chains. to me the difference is small enough that it does not justify the higher cost of Stihl chains. I used Oregon LPX or LGX series for years and was happy with them.

In the past, most of the Husqvarna chains sold in the US were just "rebadged" Oregon chains. However, Husqvarna started making their own "X-Cut" chains not too long ago. They cut well, and seem to be a bit harder than Husky's older (Oregon) chains, so seem hold an edge longer. I've used some of these and like them. If price and availability is good, I'll probably switch to these. (the preferred sharpening angles for these are a bit different than the Oregon chain, so I need to be aware of which I have on my saw when resharpening.)

I've used some lesser known brands that cut OK, but they seemed to occasionally have problems with poor heat treating of the chain, so I have not tried them in years.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

tstex
Give some of them a try and let us know how they hold up for you. I'd be interested in hearing your results. Running side by side for good test results might be a bit too cumbersome. 

I've always stuck with Stihl. Like the performance, and like my Stihl dealer so try to keep him in business for when I need his expert experience. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lxskllr

My preferences... Stihl-Carlton---Oregon. Never, ever, ever will I buy a Chinese chain. I've used a few, and 100% had hardness issues, and some had weird geometry. Haven't tried the in house Husqvarna chain

tstex

Thank you very much for the feedback guys...I am "stihl" evaluating my options...those off brands are selling 3 chains for less than the price of 1 Stihl.  I am not too fond of chinese products for anything..

lxskllr

Checkout Baileys WoodlandPro chain. It's Carlton, and pretty good chain. I'd use it over Stihl if I were paying the local dealer's prices. However, I bought a couple reels off ebay for a good price, and my preferred dealer I have to drive to is much more reasonable than the locals.

Guydreads

I actually have used some Forester chain and have found it quite comparable to Oregon. Was cutting some Bradford Pear trees (digusting trees with rot) and it held an edge very well. 

tstex

Quote from: lxskllr on March 22, 2024, 09:06:45 PMCheckout Baileys WoodlandPro chain. It's Carlton, and pretty good chain. I'd use it over Stihl if I were paying the local dealer's prices. However, I bought a couple reels off ebay for a good price, and my preferred dealer I have to drive to is much more reasonable than the locals.
Is this the chain I would use for my Stihl HT-101 pole saw?  Do you know where the Carlton chainsaw chains are made?  is it China?

https://forestershop.com/carlton-non-safety-semi-chisel-chain-saw-chain---3/8-ext-lo-pro---.050/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_qSyY-NhQMVjzWtBh1nbgMREAQYBiABEgLmDfD_BwE

Thank you

tstex

Quote from: Guydreads on March 24, 2024, 08:21:41 AMI actually have used some Forester chain and have found it quite comparable to Oregon. Was cutting some Bradford Pear trees (digusting trees with rot) and it held an edge very well.
Thanks guy.  Bradford pear trees are very, very softwood.  My live oaks are hardwoods so I need something that will devour them...what hardwoods have you cut and do these chains hold a good edge after re-sharpening?

thank you

slider

I use copperhead by rotary .I buy 25 or 100 ft rolls ,i think they are made in Mexico.We have a tree service and a sawmill so we go thru chains .I don't think they quiet as good as stihl but close for half the price by the rolls . The best thing i did was buying bars that were all 50 thousands guide links .That way i am not guessing when i build a chain .I am a stihl fan but my echo dealer sells this chain and i want to support him.
al glenn

lxskllr

Quote from: tstex on March 24, 2024, 10:42:11 AMIs this the chain I would use for my Stihl HT-101 pole saw?  Do you know where the Carlton chainsaw chains are made?  is it China?

https://forestershop.com/carlton-non-safety-semi-chisel-chain-saw-chain---3/8-ext-lo-pro---.050/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_qSyY-NhQMVjzWtBh1nbgMREAQYBiABEgLmDfD_BwE

Thank you
I'm just looking it up in the manual for your machine, but it appears you need .043 gauge chain here...

https://forestershop.com/carlton-non-safety-semi-chisel-chain-saw-chain-3/8-ext-lo-pro-.043/

The listing says USA or Canada. I believe the WoodlandPro(Carlton) I got from Baileys is US made.

tstex

Quote from: lxskllr on March 24, 2024, 11:19:01 AM
Quote from: tstex on March 24, 2024, 10:42:11 AMIs this the chain I would use for my Stihl HT-101 pole saw?  Do you know where the Carlton chainsaw chains are made?  is it China?

Thank you
I'm just looking it up in the manual for your machine, but it appears you need .043 gauge chain here...

https://forestershop.com/carlton-non-safety-semi-chisel-chain-saw-chain-3/8-ext-lo-pro-.043/

The listing says USA or Canada. I believe the WoodlandPro(Carlton) I got from Baileys is US made.
Great, thank you lxs

One last question:  when it states "safety link - No", is this referring to the anti-kickback?  thanks

lxskllr

Correct. All it has is a raker/tooth combination. No extra bumps or moving parts on the chain. That could be a negative on a polesaw. In general, I'm dubious that safety chain is significantly safer with a competent and conscientious sawyer, but with a polesaw, it might help in not getting your shoulders tweaked, if the tip hits a branch wrong, since you're cutting at a distance with less control and visual confirmation. You'll have to use your judgment. I have little experience with powered polesaws.

Also, in the sake of full disclosure, the Carlton chain is more primitive in construction. The drivelinks are just plain stamped steel. It doesn't have the fancy oiling tech Stihl and Oregon have. I haven't found that to be a problem in use, but it's something to be aware of.

beenthere

Bradford pear wood is not a softwood, but it is a very soft wood. It is a hardwood (has leaves) but is not a hard wood.  :wink_2: :wink_2:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tstex

Quote from: beenthere on March 24, 2024, 01:10:27 PMBradford pear wood is not a softwood, but it is a very soft wood. It is a hardwood (has leaves) but is not a hard wood.  :wink_2: :wink_2:
I stand corrected.  below is what I found.  But it cuts likes a chinese tallow [trash tree] and hackberry [trash tree].  They grow hollow and during any type of high winds, they snap...pretty white flowers in spring, but that's it.

" Bradford pear tree is one very confusing tree that has woodworkers wondering. Is it hardwood or softwood? Some argue that it's a softwood, basing their argument on the tree's soft and weak branch structure. But is it? No. Bradford pearwood is a cultivar of the Callery pear and is, therefore, a hardwood." 

hedgerow

Quote from: lxskllr on March 22, 2024, 09:06:45 PMCheckout Baileys WoodlandPro chain. It's Carlton, and pretty good chain. I'd use it over Stihl if I were paying the local dealer's prices. However, I bought a couple reels off ebay for a good price, and my preferred dealer I have to drive to is much more reasonable than the locals.
A little late to the party. I have used Baileys WoodlandPro chain for close to twenty years. Pretty much all I cut is hardwood, hedge, locust and some ash and elm. I use semi chisel. It holds a edge well and sharpens well. I like Stihl saws but not paying to have there chains. Stihl chain is good but not at three times the cost. I have ran some Oregon that I have bought at garage sales or at a flee markets and it seems to be a good chain. Baileys runs the WoodlandPro on sale if you buy ten loops. I would sure give it a try. They just had a sale and I stocked up. 

Thank You Sponsors!