iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440A Winch Clutch

Started by alden213, November 01, 2020, 05:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alden213

Hi everybody,
I picked up an old 440A this summer. It's in great shape, with a recently rebuilt Powershift transmission and a larger engine swapped into it. It runs and shifts well, and the winch works alright, but it doesn't pull as much as I think it should. If I'm not mistaken, the winch should be able to pull the skidder backwards. Right now it seems that its pulling power is only slightly greater than my Farmi 501 on a 55hp tractor, but I don't have any experience with other Deere 3305 winches. The winch pulls great until it meets too much resistance, and then it stops and makes some noises.
I don't have a ton of mechanical experience on machines like this, but I changed the hydraulic fluid and changed the filter on the winch when I got it. My thought is that the clutch disks are worn, and I have been looking into replacing those.
Is there anything else I should try before tearing the winch apart and replacing the clutch pack?
If not, does anyone have any tips for a rookie on replacing the clutch pack on the older Deere winches?
Thanks!
Woodmizer LT15GO; JD 5300; Farmi 501; Stihl 460, 461, 271

mike_belben

I dont have experience with them but i think before teardown id want to know the rated vs actual hydraulic line pressure under load in the clutch clamping circuit (if it is a pressure to clamp system rather than pressure to release, again idk.)  

This way you can have a pretty good idea if you should be looking harder at the hydraulic side or at the mechanical side for signs of the culprit, and also can quantify the change when it goes back together.  With a known set of numbers -if there are any which i suspect there are if it is hydraulic clamping the drum- you can say hey my winch is working 97% of new, i can count on it for a long time.   I would want a spec sheet and test port schematic.
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

You probably have a hydraulic problem. That is much more likely than a clutch problem.

In my opinion, if you own a 440 you are going to need a shop manual and a pressure gauge.

Time to go to work now, I can get you a pressure number tonight when I get back to the garage.

teakwood

the winch valve is a PITA on the 3305, i have one on my 540A.

It's ether low pump pressure, valve bypassing, oily clutch discs, leaking clutch pressure plate or some other oil leaking part. 
Get a manual. the pressure is 1000psi and the port is located over the valve on the winch body.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104040.msg1617430#msg1617430

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=109285.msg1707736#msg1707736
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

alden213

Thanks for the advice. I do have a service manual, and I'll pick up a hydraulic test kit. Unfortunately I likely won't have a chance to mess with it until around Thanksgiving.
Woodmizer LT15GO; JD 5300; Farmi 501; Stihl 460, 461, 271

Grandpa

Thanks Teakwood, you saved me a lot of one finger typing. :)

Thank You Sponsors!