iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CTL Market

Started by nativewolf, April 29, 2019, 08:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on September 26, 2019, 01:49:30 PM
The brush down there is definitely a killer on hoses.
Man I can't even see the brush for all the vines on 2 jobs.  What a mess..a hot stinking mess.  I'm actually going to burn 100 acres before harvest, harvest it, then replant.  Just impossible to deal with it is so bad, vines the size of my legs (i'm skinny) and fighting each other to see who can do the most damage.
Liking Walnut

Southside

I have a photo of 4" DBH poison ivy with weapons grade ooze running out of it...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Man that sort of thing can stay down there.  No fun at all.  What a day, another dry one.  Tonight I have to hunt down some hay for my little yard mowers, the grass is drying up fast. 

I see @BargeMonkey  bought an old Rottne, he finds good deals on old iron.  
Liking Walnut

Riwaka

mike_belben

I trampled around my deer trails monday.. Not one tick on me, not one chigger.. But im covered head to toe in itchy bites.  Saw just ONE clear little micro bug but felt my skin crawling.   Wasnt seed ticks either.  The south has all sorts of evil mystery critters thatll give you the poison ivy treatment.  I scratch alllll summer long. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on September 26, 2019, 07:16:32 PM
I trampled around my deer trails monday.. Not one tick on me, not one chigger.. But im covered head to toe in itchy bites.  Saw just ONE clear little micro bug but felt my skin crawling.   Wasnt seed ticks either.  The south has all sorts of evil mystery critters thatll give you the poison ivy treatment.  I scratch alllll summer long.
I would say the chiggers found you anyway.  I do love my DEET to keep those away.  I have also seen a huge drop in ticks of all kinds this summer, all week and not a single on my clothes, I treat my clothing but I still often see some til they drop.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I havent been home much but did notice much less ticks than last year.  

Chiggers only come in red, right?  Ive had several rounds of these little opaque buggers.  Seed ticks/tick bombs ive seen were always brownish.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

If you could see them they probably are not chiggers.  Real chiggers are like the size of a dot made with a fairly fine pencil, I personally cant see them on clothes.  It is the chigger larvae that are biters not the adults.  The adults are bigger and I think you could see them but they don't bite (they attack insects).  

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Question for CTL operators out there.  What are most folks using on the landings for loaders?  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Most guys out here are using a shovel it's safer as well as faster.

Maine logger88

Most around ctl operations here have center mounts haul there wood
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

nativewolf

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 27, 2019, 07:42:57 AM
Most around ctl operations here have center mounts haul there wood
Gotcha, not an option to change the trucking world down here  :D...also not sure they could pickup some of our wood.  Wish we did have truckers with loaders though, it would at least open some options and push the loading on the trucker driver.
Liking Walnut

chep

The beauty of a forwarder is the option to load trucks. We load trailers often. It takes a bit of getting used to and gotta build your stacks on the truck a bit diff but once you figure it out its easy. The best is coming out of the woods with a load and putting it straight on a truck.
We load a lot of canadians here (very close to the border) with hemlock, red pine, spruce and hardwood logs. Average loading time is around 30 minutes.
I've been loading telephone poles on trailers and that takes me about 45 minutes for 40 or so poles up to 52 ft long.
Sometimes you can set up so you load the truck from above (like off a bank etc) and that makes for a sweet forwarder loading pad. But often times it's just on flat ground setting next to the truck
Cut to length has the advantage of having less iron on the job then conventional operations because the machines can do more then 1 function

barbender

We're in center mount country up here, and that's how probably 95% of our company's output is hauled. I load a fair amount of trailers in the winter when we are producing more. It takes a lot more coordination with the market and trucking to be able to load everything out with a forwarder. I've never done it, actually. I've always had a center mount or 2 hauling that end up cleaning up the job when we're done. We do have a few Barko and Serco log loaders on self propelled carriers that are used for loading duties at times. I've never ran one and know nothing about them🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

99.9% here is hauled by a self loading log truck. Loading with the forwarder straight out of the woods results in the truck sitting around all day waiting on wood.

mike_belben

Theres a tracked barsaw fellerbuncher near me for $40k right now ready to work.  Never even seen a ctl harvestor for sale on a lot, on a job or online since i been in the southeast.  $40k bunchers  and $12/hr handcutters is probably why.
Praise The Lord

barbender

Probably the most efficient way to run integrated CTL/trucking is dollying trailers. The forwarder loads the trailer that is left while the truck pulls the loaded trailer to the mill. That's way easier to coordinate. 

chep

I guess I didnt explain the whole pic. I thought the OP was asking what sort of machine sat on the landing in a ctl operation. In my mind a forwarder is that machine and it doesn't sit on the landing
99% of our wood is hauled by center mounts and truck pup setups. But when a trailer is available we dont hesitate to load with forwarder.
Also I have never had a truck sit and wait while I went back in for more wood... I was describing when I have a pile at the landing and come out with a load well timed to go straight onto the truck, then top it off with landing wood. With a single sort on our 16ton machine holds half a truckload

chevytaHOE5674

We put 125,000lbs + on a truck. Even a big forwarder is 3+ loads to the truck. That means the truck has to wait around while you go back to the woods or you have to double handle wood that is already piled up. There is a reason 99.9% of the truck here are self loaders.

Corley5

We're seeing more crib trailers down here.  They're left on the job, filled by a forwarder, and switched out for an empty.  They're producing jobs so fast that the trucks can't keep up.  The cribs move with the machines to the next job and the self loaders clean up.  One crew is kicking out 145 cords per day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Skeans1

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 28, 2019, 01:02:11 PM
We put 125,000lbs + on a truck. Even a big forwarder is 3+ loads to the truck. That means the truck has to wait around while you go back to the woods or you have to double handle wood that is already piled up. There is a reason 99.9% of the truck here are self loaders.
Self loaders can be fine and dandy but there's ground they aren't allowed, the guys loading with forwarders out here are doing double handling as well as running the roads. How much does a loader weigh? 

Maine logger88

The guy that hauls wood for me has a 4 tier center mount and a 5 tier trailer with no loader both 3 axle stairs brand trailers the 5 tier has super singles the the center mount has regular duals. The center mount is trailer is 6k heavier so idk I'm guessing a loader is around 5k?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Corley5

Serco 8500s are pretty common on self loaders here.  They weigh in at around 7500 lbs.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Serco 7000's are the most common loader here, and they weigh around 7000#. A typical truck with a 3 axle center mount trailer is around 38,000#. They can run about 92,000# in the summer, and with winter weight increases up around 102,000#. As our markets continue to shrink, and hauls are consistently longer, I expect to see center mounts start to go away. Not completely, but that cord and a half worth of haul capacity really adds up at the end of the week. I could sure be wrong, but that's my prediction😊

Skeans1

@barbender that weighs more then our 8 axle trucks/trailer setups that can go 105,500 they're netting 35 tons on most a few claim to do 37 with a light combo.

Thank You Sponsors!