Sponsors:

Anyone want to talk about Belsaw Mills

Started by jimparamedic, March 20, 2019, 08:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimparamedic

Hit some old wire lost a few teeth.

But still got some nice walnut

luap

As for straightening bent shafts: There are different methods but you almost need a lathe and a dial indicator. I have done it in the lathe fabricating an H frame using a bottle jack to push with. You may need a purpose built jig with a cradle that fits your shaft. I have a shop built crankshaft straightener for small engines but would need some adapting. I have two belsaw planers, old and new and if you get the gibs mixed up there will be serious out of balance vibration.

Trapper John

Well I sawed two logs on the woodmizer and I think I have died and gone to heaven.  Its hydraulic with simple set and so easy to operate.  I learned from Jim at the Belsaw Store that he has seen one other bent shaft.  He said an outfit called Byrd sold (a few years ago) a spiral cutterhead for the Belsaw planer for like $1200.  I had a hard time leveling my bed, I could not get the bed the same distance below the cross pieces at four corners.  The only thing I could think of was the bed was warped.  I just had to compromise and split the differences.  Jim, does your dressing formula eat the belt?  I noticed the honey must soften the rubber as in that photo I posted.  Winter is coming in less than 3 weeks.  That might not mean too much for most Americans but its something to think about up here, and probably Nova Scotia as well.  

jimparamedic

I here they can be pretty nice. I just need to try one someday. would really like one to saw cants from the belsaw for like siding and board and batten.

Don P

Oh that's just the dark side talking :D
A friend with a Norwood recently resawed some thick treads I had sawed up years ago just on speculation. I had made them 4" thick so they could pass stair code without risers. But he needed them thinner and had the right tool to resize them. Can't have too many saws available.
I got into a big red oak today, really a little too big, the blade wouldn't clear through the log so I kept hanging up on the splitter and having to wedge and chainsaw several times. Still it was sweet, 2x14 -2x17, my max blade height above carriage, all but a few were dead clear. The butt log should be nicer but I'll take it over to the swing mill.

jimparamedic

I will never get read of my circular saws 3 at this time and a small gerber chainsaw mill. But some day I'd like a band mill too or maybe 3. Looking for a small edger right now found a couple just got to get time to go look at them. Sawdust is addictive. Yes I am an addict.

Trapper John

Right on, cant have too many saws available.  I think I might become a middle of the roader,  a circle mill, a bandsaw mill and at least a half dozen chainsaw mills.  I will keep making refinements to the Belsaw and use it when needed here in town.  But I can see that a band or swing mill out in the woods is the way to go for production.  Getting logs into the river, building raft, and getting the logs out of the river is too much work.  I am thinking it would be easier to haul lumber by boat and leave all the sawdust and slabs in the woods.  Sure is fun to read about everyone's mills and how they are using them.  

jimparamedic

You could also raft the finished lumber strap an Evinrude to the back and head to the main land. I try and go by the rule work smarter not harder but that don't always work out for me.

jimparamedic

Picked up some Belsaw parts what a deal I got 2 40" blades a mandrel and more 

moodnacreek

Bought one over a year ago and still have not brought it all home. I might use the 40" saw for a top saw on the Lane sawmill I run.

jimparamedic

I've got enough parts to put together 2 mill. thinking of putting together a small mill to take to shows

jimparamedic

Hope I can saw so tomorrow. Been raining a lot

jimparamedic

Looking for a good weekend thind have been crazy around here

bolensboneyard

Quote from: jimparamedic on June 16, 2019, 09:30:53 AM
Picked up some Belsaw parts what a deal I got 2 40" blades a mandrel and more

Thank You Sponsors!