iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can Stihl MS260 handle 3/8 .050 chain on 16" bar?

Started by Dave12, March 17, 2020, 12:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave12

I have an 18" bar with .325 .050 chain on my MS260 now.  I'd like to put a 16" bar on it because I already have an 18" bar on my MS341 and a 20" and 25" bar for my MS361.  I'd like all my saws to use the same chain.  Can the MS260 handle 3/8 .050 chain on a 16" bar?

Thanks

Dave
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

sawguy21

Yes it can as long as the chain is properly sharpened and not forced into the cut.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

You want to run 3/8 " chain on your  260? 
Go right ahead, but, create a pocket rocket by using 63 PS chain, Picco Super, full chisel. And you can use and you don't need to reduce bar length, with 63PS the 260 can handle 18" with ease. 
You will need to change the rim sprocket

ButchC

"Handle" is  subjective. Is it going to kill the saw when it touches wood? Of course not. The 3/8 chain cuts a wider kerf, its moving more chips, it will be slower. While I understand the mind set behind common chain specs (I have 10 saws) I have never warmed up sacrificing performance to accomplish it. The question none can answer fir you is will YOU be happy with it? , that you will have to find out for yourself. As with Joe  I went the other way and changed my 50CC and under saws over to 63PS which is Stihl's  3/8 low pro chisel chain. About 15 minutes of handle time with that combo will make one forget about full sized 3/8 on a 260.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Dave12

Thanks for the advice guys.  I've decided to stick with the .325 for the MS260.  Rather than spending the money on a new bar/chain/drive ring I bought a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener for it.  That sharpener is a game changer for me.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

Mad Professor

Quote from: joe_indi on March 18, 2020, 03:10:57 AM
You want to run 3/8 " chain on your  260?
Go right ahead, but, create a pocket rocket by using 63 PS chain, Picco Super, full chisel. And you can use and you don't need to reduce bar length, with 63PS the 260 can handle 18" with ease.
You will need to change the rim sprocket
That would call for a 3/8 picco bar too. Picco 3/8 is same pitch but chain chassis is different than 3/8.  The drive and bar sprockets, and chain drivers get mucked up with a mismatch

Thank You Sponsors!