iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hole in tank

Started by coxy, December 16, 2013, 06:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how hard is it to fix a hole in the fuel tank on a c6 tree farmer  found one for sale the guy said it leaks  after they ran over a rock ???  so the tank must be in the back like jd or cat  I know nothing about tree farmer  ;D

goose63

If it 's a steel you can weld it :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

loggah

Its a heavy steel tank and its in the back under the winch and in front of the arch.Im not sure how a rock could hit it with the belly pan in place,i have seen dents in them when a rear driveshaft broke. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

don't have a clue  ;D just going off what he said haven't look at it to close been to darn cold  :)

thenorthman

All depends on how big the hole is.

For little holes say under 1/4" there are a plethora of epoxies on the market, JB weld, napa has a fiberglass deal, and victor makes a 2 part stick type stuff that will stick to steel covered in vasoline... (thats what finally fixed the leak in mine)

for big holes though your pretty much stuck with welding, and coming from my own experience with this its not exactly easy, the diesel makes the weld not want to stick, and if you fill it with water, so it don't catch on fire, then you have water running out though your really crappy weld...

If you can remove the tank do so, clean it out with good detergent, dry it then start welding, and go with a patch.  I was not able to pull the tank on my Deere without splitting the machine, and I'm just not setup for that kind of surgery.

Don't forget brazing or soldering, both work on relatively small holes.

the final option would be to drill/cut it out and make a plate or figure some kind of bolt and gasket type solution.
well that didn't work

Mainelogging94

there hard to weld, you definetly want to take it out, and give it a good acid bath. Then I would pressure test it before you put it back so you wont have to take it out again.

coxy

do they come out the top or bottom

DDDfarmer

You have to get us pictures of this. ;D  I would think if there is a hole in the fuel tank.... what's the rest of the machine like ::)

I had an old merc snow machine with a steel gas tank.  Tank rusted out and my grandfather ground the rust away then flushed the tank out with fuel.  Then he brazed the holes shut.  Still holds gas to this day.

If the c6 is like my c5 I believe you have to lift the winch off then you are right at the tank.  Never had to do it but I think it would be nice to get some tools back that fell down there. 8)
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

loggah

Yup got to pull the winch and winch plate,the bottoms of the tank are actually quite thick,doubled compared to the top. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Timbercruiser

It dosent need a acid flush or water in it to weld on it. Just take it out or drain it and weld it. I cant see a diesel tank burning up when its not full of fumes like gas. I welded my slip tank before and it was fine no problem.  I weld for a living too just buff off the hole and pad weld it so its built up around there.

loggah

any time i welded on a fuel or gas tank i ran a piece of flex pipe from a car exhaust and put it into the tank forcing the oxygen out, so i could safely weld it.

reride82

You can also put some dry ice in the tank to displace the fuel fumes. As dry ice melts, it is gives off CO2, and fills the tank with inert fumes. Then you can weld away since the tank doesn't have oxygen to support combustion.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

DDDfarmer

easier to get some gas for a mig welder, almost everyone has one now.. CO or argon  All you would have to do is disconnect from the welder and shut the flow down a little.   
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!