iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers and 'problem' growth

Started by livemusic, August 02, 2019, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

When people speak of "stickers" in a post about brush clearing, what do they mean? Is that briars or just what is it? I haven't ever heard that term down here.

What have you come across that is problematic when clearing? Here, it's vines. Muscadine (wild grape) does not have thorns but it sure is tough. Some vines big as your arm! Cat briars and other vines have the thorns.
~~~
Bill

Frickman

It all sounds look good goat feed.  I don't like to pay to clear brush when goats can make me $ doing what they do best.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ed_K

Sticker's are anything 1/2 or bigger brush/trees that are cut higher than ground level that stick up ready to pop a tire.
Ed K

LeeB

I thought maybe the OP was talking about these lovely little jewel. An experience you will never forget your whole life long once you step on a batch.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

livemusic

Quote from: LeeB on August 03, 2019, 09:16:55 AM
I thought maybe the OP was talking about these lovely little jewel. An experience you will never forget your whole life long once you step on a batch.

I *have* heard the term "stickers" before, just not in forestry terms. Around here, stickers are plants in the lawn that get in your feet if you walk barefoot across your lawn. It is "spurweed" a.k.a. "burweed" a.k.a. "sticker weed" that produces these in the spring. As for your photo, those things are wicked -- sand burrs. We have those around the Red River valley in sandy ground. They are brutal.
Here is the "sticker weed" sticker...
~~~
Bill

lxskllr

To me stickers are anything that has hurty stuff all over it  :^D  Flora multirosa, greenbriar, blackberry... Wineberries have hurties, but they're manageable, so I don't count them. Kind of the same with mile-a-minute, but that has its own irritations.

My biggest nemesis is bittersweet. I've never seen a more obnoxious vine. Fast growing, and it seems to invisibly take off. It'll grow in a bush, and I won't see it til it's big. It's like a chameleon the way it blends in.

Thank You Sponsors!