iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner idea - looking for feedback

Started by Ljohnsaw, November 25, 2016, 03:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I have this for turning my logs.  I made a slight adjustment to get it to fit a little better than shown here.  It slides into various 2" ID square tube (horizontal) under the track.  With a block at the hook, I think it will work better, doubling my lift capacity.

It seems to work, but a bit of a pain to install, use, remove, cut, repeat as it is a bit heavy.  Making it swivel wouldn't help as my head extends about 2 feet on each side of the rail.

So, version 2 is in my head.  I'm thinking of using the rails to have a gantry-type hoist powered by a small winch (2,500 lb I just bought for $48 at HF).  Assuming I have enough rail (soon to be) to move it out of the way when cutting, any potential drawbacks that you can think of?  If you have a 2,000 lb square-ish cant on the bed, how much lifting force is really necessary to get it to roll and slide off the backstops?  I've been using my SkyTrak to roll the biguns and they come down on the bed with a pretty good Whomp!  Not sure if there is much you can do about that using a single hook.  Same thing happens with a cant hook.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I had the same set up you have except I had it on a stand that the legs went under the mill. It was also long enough to swing out of the way when not in use. After I made a roof for my mill I have my unit on one of the post that holds the roof up. It sure beats the car jack that I started out with.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Yes, I've seen your iterations.  Wish I could do the same.  My problem is I don't have a dedicated place for my mill and it won't be paved when I do - hence the track idea.  That and I just picked up some free metal that might work for this.  Just need to get some more wheels.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 25, 2016, 04:05:20 PM
Yes, I've seen your iterations.  Wish I could do the same.  My problem is I don't have a dedicated place for my mill and it won't be paved when I do - hence the track idea.  That and I just picked up some free metal that might work for this.  Just need to get some more wheels.

E-bay has some cheap track rollers...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DYank

John    Just wonder, could you hinge your turner so that it would fold down out of the way when not being used?
Dean

kelLOGg

Mine is 4.5" over a 4" post. It turns, slides in and out for travel and optimum pull point. It will lift the mill before it bends. (I bent the 1st version, so I overdid the 2nd one). 2500 lb Superwinch so far has rolled all the logs required of it. Over doing it is better.

Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DYank on November 25, 2016, 07:36:10 PM
John    Just wonder, could you hinge your turner so that it would fold down out of the way when not being used?
I thought a little about hinging or turning but it would still be in the way - either on the walking side or the slab side.
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 25, 2016, 06:17:36 PM
E-bay has some cheap track rollers...
I have some 5" or so diameter wheels that sort of look like train wheels with the flange on one side.  They came off of a giant rolling file cabinet system.  Wish I could have salvaged more.  Two have bearings and two have keyed shaft holes.  I was thinking of turning them on my lathe to make a grove.  Then, I would replace them on my mill head with a chain/crank drive.  The larger diameter would be easier pushing, the crank might be easier than pushing and, someday, I could power it.  Then, the old 3½ cast pulleys that I'm using there would become my gantry wheels.
John Sawicky

bandmiller2

John, if I was in your situation I would build a roof over my mill with a heavy beam and track for the winch, there you have it two birds one stone. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

I had one that was hinged to the mill. It worked well.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 26, 2016, 07:00:22 AM
John, if I was in your situation I would build a roof over my mill with a heavy beam and track for the winch, there you have it two birds one stone. Frank C.
Ah, in a perfect world! ;D

In reality, I built my mill for the sole purpose to build my cabin.  My cabin is on the only flat-ish spot on the top of my property.  Once I get some gravel down, I will set it up in the set-back area so a cover is not an option.  My cabin has a concrete floor and an 8x8 door, a 4x8 door, and 10' ceiling height.  I could mill in there but ventilation would be an issue.  So, I'm working with what I got.
Quote from: paul case on November 26, 2016, 09:05:56 AM

PC
Paul, simple and effective - Nice!
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

never finished

Another plus to the gantry-type turner is that you can use it to move beams to the end of the mill. Or possibly re position your log. If you have adjustable toe rollers this won't help much. 

paul case

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 26, 2016, 11:50:05 AM
Quote from: paul case on November 26, 2016, 09:05:56 AM

PC
Paul, simple and effective - Nice!

Not my Idea. I bought it though. That was on my ez boardwalk model 40. They get the kudos.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: never finished on November 28, 2016, 09:56:27 PM
Another plus to the gantry-type turner is that you can use it to move beams to the end of the mill. Or possibly re position your log. If you have adjustable toe rollers this won't help much.
Yes, that is a plus I didn't think about.  I milled up a 8x12 x 15' post.  No rollers - SkyTrak snow-bound - what a pain to get that one off the mill!
John Sawicky

bandmiller2

A four wheeled arch that rides on the mill ways with a winch on top will turn the trick. You may need to put an extension on your ways to get it out of the way. You won't have a cantilever and the arch is well supported. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!