iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln blew over

Started by Quebecnewf, November 29, 2016, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Had a big wind and snowstorm here day before yesterday. Apparently my kiln blew over in the storm. Helicopter pilot saw it yesterday. Going in this after noon to check it out. Wind is finally dropping enough to allow us to go in boat. Will take iPad and post pics later. If it is damaged to much I may have to build another. Kiln had a small amount of birch in it drying. I am pretty sure my solar panel will be toast. Hope I can save the fan.
More details to follow

Quebecnewf

Savannahdan

Quebecnewf, we'll be pulling for you that it's not suffered much damage. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Weekend_Sawyer

oh wow, hope it's not too damaged. Sounds like it's time for hurricane straps.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishfighter

Ouch. :o We had high winds here yesterday and today. All my lumber stacks that were covered, are not now. :( Things got a little wet, but not to bad. Was 72F at 6am and hit 82F. I sure could use a little cooler weather. ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Went in by boat to have a look. Both solar panel and fan were undamaged. Very lucky there. Building has very little damage from what we can see. Clear roof might be damaged but will know more when we get it back upright. It is at least 30 ft from where it stood.

Sent snowmobiles across to the mainland yesterday by barge. Going across this morning on the early chopper to drive then up to a freinds house and cover them up until we return from extended visit with our daughters in Montreal . Back on Jan 4 at which time I hope to be able to start the winter logging season.
Will round up a bunch of my buddies tomorrow . Take a doz. beer and roll her back upright. Move it back into its location in the spring. Going to cable it down this time.

Quebecnewf

fishfighter

What is all that white stuff?

;D DanG 68F here. :(

Joe Hillmann

Helicopters, boats, snowmobiles and barges.  Seems like you have to do a lot of work just to get to work. ;)

5quarter

Is that some metal sheeting missing off the roof of your shop? I'm not even sure how you'd anchor a building down there...The ground looks like nothing but rock. Thankfully the damage appears minimal. How are you going to flip it over?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Don_Papenburg

They just drill holes in the rock and inset Red head anchor bolts then tighten.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Quebecnewf

Went in this aft and tackled it down on its side. Clear sheeting on roof undamaged. As far as we can see the thing blew up into the air and landed square down on the roof.

Not sure how I am going to get it completely upright but I m sure I will figure it out. Will unload the lumber out of it as soon as I can get to it by snowmobile.

Quebecnewf

ChugiakTinkerer

Great news!  Well, at least not as bad as it could have been.  It probably slid on the clear plastic roof like it was a big fat ski.
Woodland Mills HM130

longtime lurker

Quote from: fishfighter on November 30, 2016, 06:49:47 AM
What is all that white stuff?

;D DanG 68F here. :(

Maybe its a salt pan??? Thats the only thing I know that looks like that.

95 F here. At 68F I reach for a coat. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: 5quarter on November 30, 2016, 02:22:45 PM
Is that some metal sheeting missing off the roof of your shop? I'm not even sure how you'd anchor a building down there...The ground looks like nothing but rock. Thankfully the damage appears minimal. How are you going to flip it over?
That's the sawmill shed in the background. There is nothing missing on the roof. Those are clear plastic panels that let the light in . Same stuff on the roof of the kiln. It blew over in a big NE wind maybe a big SW breeze I'll upright it. Probably not!!!
Quebecnewf

Don P

Wow, it blew over with a load in it, I figured it was empty.
One way might be to bolt long levers to the bottom edge of the gable ends, end flush to the short face and extending way up beyond the long side. Pull and it'll roll onto the short side. Pull again and it'll flop on over, hard.

woodweasel

Thank You Sponsors!