iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark 664c

Started by borecutter, February 24, 2014, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borecutter

Please help!!! I recently bought a 664c Clark skidder. The motor is running fine but the drivetrain is slow and lacking power. Even in low gear I can get the tires to stop and the rpm's stay up. I started by changing the fluid, filter and rebuilding the "pressure relief valve". I have replaced the hose from the tranny to the charge pump and charge pump. I checked the filter behind the drain plug and changed fluid and filter again. I am running about 230lbs at idle and 252lbs at 1/4 throttle and up. Tranny temp is fine. Fluids smell fine. The only other thing I can think of is the torque but I really don't want to get into the if it not the problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, borecutter. I don't know anything about that machine, but I think the same problem has come up recently. I am sure someone with experience will be along.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rockwall

I don't think it is anything to do with the tranny. Was it acting fine before this problem happened or are you just getting your new 664 going? I suspect your rpms aren't high enough to kick in the torque converter. I have a 664 B with a 353 and was having the same problem. You think it is the tranny but usually not. I had a detroit mechanic come out and he did a complete tune up but the key was getting the rack set so it would turn up to the proper RPMs. Now I have all the power I use to have.

borecutter

Thanks for the reply Rockwell. I bought this machine with this issue. I am unfamiliar with the rack. I will do some more homework. I have been around several detroit's before and the engine RPM's seem fine "she screams".

rick f

Check to see that the lever in between your legs is in the work position not in the travel position. Mine is unhooked so I don't know what the position should be in.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

treeslayer2003

just because it sounds like it screams doesn't mean it is maintaining the required rpm under load to keep the converter from stalling. run it into a tree with the foot board out and mash her in low gear, if that shaft under your feet stops turning before the wheels spin then it is the engine tune.

borecutter

Thanks Rick F. That is interesting. When I put the lever in travel I really cant find a difference. If all that's wrong with it is the linkage I am going to be so happy and not happy at the same time."also the lever is on my left so when you told me to check the lever between my legs I had to look down and smile...the last time I got to use it, it was fine, married 15 years" Treeslayer2003...I haven't tested the instant stop but I have watched that shaft and when it stops the tires stop. Ill try it tomorrow

rockwall

I agree with Treeslayer.

borecutter

Thanks Treeslayer, I will try it tomorrow. It seems like the rpms stay up pretty good but maybe just not good enough.

Dave Shepard

A Detroit is up to proper rpm when it rattles your teeth like a teletype machine.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: borecutter on February 24, 2014, 08:44:01 PM
Thanks Rick F. That is interesting. When I put the lever in travel I really cant find a difference. If all that's wrong with it is the linkage I am going to be so happy and not happy at the same time."also the lever is on my left so when you told me to check the lever between my legs I had to look down and smile...the last time I got to use it, it was fine, married 15 years" Treeslayer2003...I haven't tested the instant stop but I have watched that shaft and when it stops the tires stop. Ill try it tomorrow
I bet that lever is unhooked. most are.
if the shaft stops turning, it cannot be the trans.

rockwall

This is what mine looks like in work mode.

rockwall

On the second page of Forestry forum is a thread called clark ranger paint job, on the bottom of the first page starts a discussion about his work/travel lever. I think it would be helpful to you.

oldseabee

664C stall speed: cable, with trans oil at 180 F, full throttle in high range with brakes locked  or machine against abig stump and hydraulics bottomed out at 1800 PSI, 1920-2080 RPM.
Grapple, same set up except Hydraulics at 2000 PSI, 1720-1920 RPM.

rockwall

here is my work/travel lever

borecutter

Thank you all so much. Calling around to get someone who knows how to properly tune a Detroit. Makes sense. its smoking pretty good and when you turn it dogs the motor down even more. I didn't realize those converters stalled a suck a high rpm. Ill keep you updated on the progress and pay the advice forward.

rockwall

treeslayer2003

Quote from: oldseabee on February 25, 2014, 11:53:17 AM
664C stall speed: cable, with trans oil at 180 F, full throttle in high range with brakes locked  or machine against abig stump and hydraulics bottomed out at 1800 PSI, 1920-2080 RPM.
Grapple, same set up except Hydraulics at 2000 PSI, 1720-1920 RPM.

oldseabee, my time has only been with detroit powered machines. is it true that cummins powered machines have a different stall converter?
I ask because I would like to put a cummins where a Detroit is but I wouldn't want to buy a converter.

oldseabee

664C didn't come with a Cummins, only a 353N Detroit.
666C had a 453N Std or a v-378C Cummins, only with the Swamp Buggy option.
You could fit the Cummins into the 664C, the frames are the same but you would need a larger radiator and different motor mounts, change the throttle linkage, and probably different axles. The Trans. and convertor are the same for both models.
Bear in mind that parts for the 378 are hard to come by. A lot of expense for a little gain.

treeslayer2003

mine is a B and if I did it would be a 4 BT. I  have seen 666s with the same axles. I saw some used converters advertised, it said some were for cummins and some for Detroit. maybe they meant what they took um out of?
I have a Detroit powered 666 B swamp buggy but I swapped 28s for the 34s.

oldseabee

You have to be careful on used convertors. A C272 convertor has 12" members inside. a C273 has 13" members and are used mostly in front end loaders, stall speeds will be different. The other thing is the transmission clutch pressure that is regulated by the funny looking valve on the side of the convertor. Skidder with a Clark winch requires 240/280 PSI, most loaders and skidders with Gearmatic winch require 180/220 PSI.

Thank You Sponsors!