iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Far ?

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 04, 2008, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Some times you just have to know how far you are willing to go.  Like Dirty Harry said "A man has got to know his limitations!".  So today while sawing some 10 ft 6x6 octagon cedar post on Wanda I got to thinking how far I had walked.  It was 12 ft down and back and there was 12 to 16 trips per log and I had made 13 post before lunch.  That means I walked about 4,368 feet this morning alone.  That's pert near a mile!  That does not cover trips to the slab rack or to put logs on or post off the mill.

Now I have sawn over 1.5 million bdft of lumber and if all the boards were 8 ft 1x6's that would be 375,000 boards.  If it was 10 feet per trip (not counting slabs) or 20 feet round trip then that is 7,500,000 feet of travel.  If it is 5,280 feet per mile then that means I have walked 1,420.5 miles with this mill.  No wonder I wear out so many pairs of boots a year and so tired all the time.  Guess I need to start sawing more with the LT 70.

So how far are you willing to go?  Now I am a thinking of how much weight I have lifted.  I am going to need a nap today.
ARKANSAWYER

Haytrader

Made me tired just reading about it.
SO. I will take a nap too.

:D :D :D
Haytrader

Don P

I was doing something similar yesterday. Moved and spread a gravel pile. By the end I had Tennessee Ernie Ford singing in my head. Sixteen tons and whatta you get.  :D

Decided to go for a different kind of pain today, there was a big rock in the way where I want a turnaround, the tractor couldn't budge it. Now there's 2 halfway big rocks back there. I'm hitchin up and hoping for the best.

Tom

I went through those computations when I had my LT40HD and that is one of the reasons I ended up with the Baker 3638. I just didn't know how tireing standing in one spot could get.  :D :D

SwampDonkey

Just think of swinging a brush saw over every square inch on an acre 4-5 days a week.  :D ;D

Oh where oh where is the next hornet's nest hiding?  On the ground or up in a limb at face level? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

QuoteIf it is 5,280 feet per mile
Now Arky, you know that you don't need to put a "if" in front of that statement.
I have not sawed nearly as much as Arky or Tom, but my legs have been telling me they don't want me to keep sawing. I now just do a few saw jobs when it is not too hot or cold.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don P

Looks like it'll be 4 rocks, Michelle just drug me and the tractor outta the bush. I hiked out to get her and the truck so another 1/4 mile for the day. I hurt that piece of granite though  ;D

Back when we were planting by hand I'd avarage about 2500/day at a 6' spacing for around 3 miles but we would plant out and walk back on deep sites. I figured I had put in a half million trees at one point so somewhere upwards of 3 million feet swinging a hoedad and stomping every other step, yikes, no wonder my feet hurt. I was the new guy, a bunch of em had well over a million under their belt.

When I single hand the circle mill there's a few miles per thousand. I guess its about 120' per board by the time its edged and then off to the pile so probably 150'/board total. If an average board is say 10bf, maybe around 3 miles/thousand.

One rather large lady I know went on one of those diet programs and part of it was to wear a pedometer to measure how far they walked. I met her late one day, she had done 300 feet  :o.

Dave Shepard

I don't know how far I'd go, or how far I've been, but I have been working to reduce it. Barry from Hannibal dropped off the new Wood-Mizer on April 8. The mill and edger were in the same place until this week, when I rearranged the edger. Originally I was tailing lumber from the mill to the stack near the edger, about 60 feet. Then I was making a pile near the mill, and one near the edger, saved a little time. Now the edger is at an angle to the mill, and much closer, and I am piling all the lumber together again. It has saved a lot of steps. 8) I've heard a man with a horse plow walks eight miles per acre. That's a long way to walk behind a horse balancing a plow. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pasbuild

I got up from my nap to read this :o  I 'm  tired all over again
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

low_48

Arky, We'll have to rename you Forrest Gump. "I just started walkin' one day........." Seriously, all that walkin' may just come back to get you one day. Can you say knee replacement? Good luck, good walkin'.

Onthesauk

Interesting.  Just within the last day or so I read somewhere that the "average" American walks about 900 miles a year.  That's almost two and a half miles a day.  Have no idea how they came up with the number, seems high for most US folks.  That program of 10,000 steps a day works out to something over 3 miles a day and few do it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ironwood

GUESS NONE of us need a spa membership!!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Ironwood on July 04, 2008, 11:14:42 PM
GUESS NONE of us need a spa membership!!

Ironwood

During the first couple of weeks at my new job, as sawyer, tailman, and sawdust shoveler, I didn't have the energy to work up a good snore at night. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brdmkr

I find operating the swinger at each end of the log and tailing for myself helps out with the upper body workout as well.  I can see why you folks that saw for the public think of hydraulics as a necessity. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodmills1

then there is always this kind of work out

cut the pine for a 36 by 36 barn last month and placed on stickers close to the mill

picked them up one at a time to load the truck for delivery

then picked them up one at a time to resticker them at the job site :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom Sawyer

The pedometer on my cell phone tells me that I walked 7.7km today - and the phone was in the truck the 8 hours I was sawing :o.  (I'm too tired to convert that to miles ::))

Tom

ljmathias

Speaking of walking and not to get too far off topic, the new movie Wall-E has some implied commentary on walking- seems the humans inhabiting Buy-N-Large space ships don't walk at all- dark and dreary future for humans.  Good news is that they rekindle the desire when they are challenged.  Maybe we just need those challenges in life to keep us walking.  Isn't there a liquor add to that effect, or was?  I've found over and over again that "just keep doing" is the best way to get through the tough parts and finally get something done.

Oh, well, Wall-E is worth seeing in this day and age- not too late to save the planets and the humans that make it home.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

woodmills1

It takes 1.609 Km to make a mile. 

So, just about 4.8 miles
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bandmiller2

When you get beyond a half century you realize their are only so many miles left in the old body,make everyone count.A mill should never be complete you should always be able to make improvements in efficiency.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bama20a

Granny started walking a mile aday when she turned 65,Now at the age of 90 we ain't got a clue where she is. :D :D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

ARKANSAWYER

I live in the Ozark Mountians and "a mile" is a realitive term here.  Most of the time it is "pert near" a mile of a "tad bit further" then a mile.  And since it is up or down hill you can not really tell if you are a mile from any where.
  My wife says that since I just go back and forth and get no where that I have not gone any where.  That being the case then most if us have gone no where as we keep ending up where we started.  This bums me out even more.
ARKANSAWYER

ScottAR

At least you ended up a nice place.  Tad warm these last few days though.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!