iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 009L Stop Switch

Started by jbj53, August 23, 2020, 03:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbj53

I inherited a Stihl 009L that hasn't been run in at least 7 years.  It has no stop switch and I don't know if it will run at all.  I've been cleaning it and, before I fuel and oil it, then try to start, is the stop switch a Go/No-Go item to run this saw?  Will it run without the switch, and is there a way to stop the saw without the switch?  Thank you in advance.

ZeroJunk

You don't need the stop switch for the saw to run since all it does is short the ignition, the same principle as pushing the metal strap down on top of the plug on an old mower.  You can stop it with the choke forever, of find a replacement switch.

jbj53

thanx... i'll put it together and see if it will run.  appreciate the help, couldn't figure out what the switch did or how it worked since it isn't there.

ZeroJunk

The fuel lines and tank vent line that goes out under a little brass piece under the clutch cover are more than likely dry rotted. And, the carb will likely need to be rebuilt.

You can take a little mixed gas and pour it straight in the carb and see if the saw will run until that's gone.  That will tell you whether it has fire and enough compression to run before you chase your tail.

Thank You Sponsors!