iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

theory testing magnetic waterfall for woodmizer bms250mu

Started by jimbarry, February 01, 2018, 09:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

I've read quite a bit of tips about sharpener oil and dealing with filings and magnets. I eventually bought mine and about to run sharpener for the first time. The idea of a 'waterfall' to catch debris before it gets to the pump just came to me. Thin sheet metal bent to make a 'fence'. Magnets near the top.

Those who run these machines, do you think this would work? If not, what is the current accepted ideas for dealing with filtering out the metal filings?

Kbeitz

Great idea. I use Bingo magnets on my Bridgeport mill. They have a handle
and I use a paint brush to clean the metals off the magnet. Works great.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

millwright

Sawmill Man

Putting the magnet in a ziplock bag will simplify cleanup where ever you wind up putting it.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Percy

I have the bms 250 and these are all great ideas. I'm gonna run with them all from the nifty little cake pan and ziplock bag to bingo magnets.

I use #32 hydraulic oil in place of the thinner ap120 cutting oil which IMO is nasty stuff. I've had great results with hydraulic oil. Hardly any mist. I leave the hood open and my shop is clean. Since I punted the cutting oil 🤪🤪
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

jimbarry

I first started with a 6x6 inch "dam" that's 2 inches high. But once I installed the dam, the corner interfered with the chain drive located underneath. So I bevel the corner the same distance as one of the short magnets supplied with the machine (see first image).

Percy

Quote from: jimbarry on February 01, 2018, 08:04:57 PM
I first started with a 6x6 inch "dam" that's 2 inches high. But once I installed the dam, the corner interfered with the chain drive located underneath. So I bevel the corner the same distance as one of the short magnets supplied with the machine (see first image).

That dont look too hard to do...Thanks for the pics. I might hunt thru the wife's many many cake pans and mutilate an appropriate one :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

Not to be a downer but there are filings and oil sprayed all over inside the sharpener not just at one place.

Although if one could make a dam whose magnets were easier to pick up and remove than those in the oil surrounding the pump, one might make the cleaning process easier to keep up with.

The bar magnets that come with the sharpener are very strong and the process of picking up one in a plastic bag would tear up the bags easily.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 02, 2018, 10:44:06 AM
Not to be a downer but there are filings and oil sprayed all over inside the sharpener not just at one place.

Although if one could make a dam whose magnets were easier to pick up and remove than those in the oil surrounding the pump, one might make the cleaning process easier to keep up with.

The bar magnets that come with the sharpener are very strong and the process of picking up one in a plastic bag would tear up the bags easily.

The Bingo magnets are easy to pick up...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bandmill Bandit

I have tried many different ways to make it less of a PITA. I just do a through cleaning after every shrapening session by draining the oil and then a couple of good sized rare earth magnets and the air compressor. Takes about 10 minutes and it is pretty clean.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!