iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bought a LT15 Electric today

Started by sst04, May 27, 2011, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sst04

I made a post about wiring an electric mill the other day. Well, today I went to check one out and came home with it.

LT15 Electric 1 phase, One Extension so it will cut I think a little over 22 ft long, 8 new blades and 2 cant hooks.  Mill is 6 years old, but has not been used in the past couple of years.  Was told it had only been used around 100 hours.  It looks good, Faded just a little, and the paint is coming off some parts of the rails, but not too bad.

We started it up and it seemed to work well, as far as I could tell.  You could tell it has not been used for a while because of the rust on the blade.  The up down works good and the hand drive works good.

Now all I have to do is get a spot leveled up and some concrete poared, then have it wired and figure out how I am going to make the wire carrier.

Got it for 3300$, in your opinion is that a Good, bad or decent deal?

Slingshot

Sounds to me like you got a good deal.

fishpharmer

Congrats on the mill purchase sst04. The lt15 is a great mill.  What horsepower motor does it have?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sst04

Quote from: fishpharmer on May 27, 2011, 10:20:20 PM
Congrats on the mill purchase sst04. The lt15 is a great mill.  What horsepower motor does it have?

It has the 10hp electric.

Stephen1

I would say you have a great mill there at a great price.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fishpharmer

I am looking forward to your report on on the 10 hp's performence.  Please keep us posted.
What are you planning to mill, species?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

BandsawWarrior

Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

Magicman

And congratulations are in order.   :) :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DouginUtah

Quote from: sst04 on May 27, 2011, 10:29:23 PM

Now the electrical-savvy guys can give you some advice on what size breaker you will need and what gauge of wire--if you tell us how long the run will be.  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

ladylake

Sounds good, good price and a nice simple mill and even better with electric power .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mometal77

So after you bought/loaded it did you put the pedal to the floor board.   Like in a smokey the bandit movie? :D
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Bibbyman

Congratulations on the new to you mill!

Rust on a blade that's been used and then exposed to the elements will start to rust in a few days.   So I wouldn't let that be an indicator of the condition of the mill.   Make a few cuts with the blade and it'll clean right up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

An electric motor is a real spoiler on a mill,  makes it hard to go back to engines.Mills love to have a roof over their heads especially the lectric ones. Good deal. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Looks like you made a fine deal sst04!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

You will be happy with the sawmill. I was only around a electric wood splitter at a show. I loved it. Very quite. Seemed real odd to see it working but no loud noise of a gas motor.
Could WM help you out with the carrier? I would give them a call.
What's all the lumber going to be used for? Do you have trees to cut?
Good idea with the cement. May want to raise the mill up in the air too. Kinda get it at a good working height. Can you make the pad bigger than the mill too? Easy clean up,place to store,dry lumber with a roof.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LPitt

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Where in Georgia are you located?
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

sst04

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 27, 2011, 11:56:41 PM
Quote from: sst04 on May 27, 2011, 10:29:23 PM

Now the electrical-savvy guys can give you some advice on what size breaker you will need and what gauge of wire--if you tell us how long the run will be.  ;D

I checked out the Meterbase/Box that is mounted on the Pole next to my House(mobile home) and it is a 200amp disconnect with 4 slots for breakers and a Max of 150 amps for breakers in the box. 2 of the slots are used for the AC unit which is a 30amp breaker.  The mill came with around 30 to 35 feet of wire, I may end up having to get a little more but not much.

I am hoping that I will just be able to add a receptical (like a welder receptical) to the pole, using the other 2 available slots left in the breaker box. So I can unplug the mill when not in use or when I need to cut grass or whatever.

Maybe a 60 for the mill? 

sst04

Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2011, 07:15:34 AM
You will be happy with the sawmill. I was only around a electric wood splitter at a show. I loved it. Very quite. Seemed real odd to see it working but no loud noise of a gas motor.
Could WM help you out with the carrier? I would give them a call.
What's all the lumber going to be used for? Do you have trees to cut?
Good idea with the cement. May want to raise the mill up in the air too. Kinda get it at a good working height. Can you make the pad bigger than the mill too? Easy clean up,place to store,dry lumber with a roof.

The lumber will be used to eventually build a house, right now I am going to focus on building a Kiln and a few other things around the yard. 

We have the land to cut trees off of.  Also, I helped a friend out today that does Lot clearing, they had someone getting the trees for them but he never got paid so he said he would give them to me.  At this lot, he said he cut the big pines up to 20ft and had enough to fill up his Mack dump truck 2 or 3 times.   He is supposed to get them loaded and bring them over next week.

As far as setting up the mill, I am going to think about it a few days, instead of just sticking it together.

sst04

Quote from: LPitt on May 28, 2011, 07:27:52 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the club. Where in Georgia are you located?

Milledgeville, about an hour east of Macon.

Thanks for all the compliments guys,  It makes me feel better knowing I got a great
deal 8)

caver

You can get retractable cord reels for the electric feed. We used one to replace a ribbon cable/festoon assembly at work for a large crane trolley. I was skeptical that it would work but it never gives us any problems.
Baker HD18

sst04

Quote from: mometal77 on May 28, 2011, 05:48:23 AM
So after you bought/loaded it did you put the pedal to the floor board.   Like in a smokey the bandit movie? :D

No, I was too scared to sling it out of the bed of the truck :D,  I did not realize how big it was, so I did not take the trailer, when I saw it I was looking like :o.  

With it all loaded, i could not fit another hair in the back of the F150.

WDH

sst,

If Baldwin County is like Houston County just south of you, you cannot saw your own lumber to build a house unless it has been graded and stamped.  Each and every board.  You can arrange for a Southern Pine Inspection Bureau lumber grader to come to your site and grade the lumber.  If the logs don't cost much or are free, this can work out well.  If you had to buy the logs more at market value, you could actually go to the building store and buy the wood cheaper.  Go figure........The big pine mills are so efficient that a small portable mill cannot compete with them on a heads up basis.  At the best mills, the cost to saw lumber is $.10/BF or a little less.  Even the more inefficient mills are in the $.12/BF - $14/BF range.  But, there are other valid reasons for cutting your own framing lumber even if it is not cheaper than store bought.

Congratulations on the mill.  If you want to come to Perry, I can show you what I know about sawing lumber on a LT15, although mine is the 15 HP gas, not electric.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sst04

Quote from: WDH on May 29, 2011, 06:51:58 AM
sst,

If Baldwin County is like Houston County just south of you, you cannot saw your own lumber to build a house unless it has been graded and stamped.  Each and every board.  You can arrange for a Southern Pine Inspection Bureau lumber grader to come to your site and grade the lumber.  If the logs don't cost much or are free, this can work out well.  If you had to buy the logs more at market value, you could actually go to the building store and buy the wood cheaper.  Go figure........The big pine mills are so efficient that a small portable mill cannot compete with them on a heads up basis.  At the best mills, the cost to saw lumber is $.10/BF or a little less.  Even the more inefficient mills are in the $.12/BF - $14/BF range.  But, there are other valid reasons for cutting your own framing lumber even if it is not cheaper than store bought.

Congratulations on the mill.  If you want to come to Perry, I can show you what I know about sawing lumber on a LT15, although mine is the 15 HP gas, not electric.

Thanks for the info.  I have spoken to a lumber grading company and they said they would come and grade the wood here at my place. 

Yes,All of the wood will be free.

Thanks for the invite, I may take you up on that.   On thing you could tell me is what is a good working height for the bed.  A height where it is still comfortable to work the hand crank but not have to bend to the ground to pick up boards.  I have a winch I was planning on mounting to skid the logs onto the mill.  I will build some ramps for the logs also.

WDH

Mine is only a couple of inches from the ground, but that makes it a snap to load logs on the mill.  I have heard that about knee high is a good height if you want to elevate your mill.  A higher working height makes it easy to offbear the boards but it makes loading and turning the logs more difficult, so there is a trade off.

Thank You Sponsors!