iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods Porting

Started by JohnG28, February 02, 2010, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windthrown

I have the HD stock air filter on my 044. It runs fine. The DP muffler added a good bit of power to my 044. Well worth the $35 I paid for for it. Cheap as chips compared to some of the spendy aftermarket stuff out there. Also if you want a larger second port, all it takes is a flat file on that 046 DP muffler cover. Note that the base of the 046/460 muffler will get in the way of an 044/440. The muffler covers are the same though.

440/460, 044/046 dual port cover Stihl PN: 1128 140 0801
660/066 dual cover Stihl PN: 1122 140 0800
044 serial numbers X29583701 or below have the 10mm wrist pins, the rest have 12mm wrist pins
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

timber tramp

The max flow air filter kit claims to increase air flow from 89cfm to 135cfm. I figure if that's true, that along with an easier breathing exhaust, it should increase the saws output quite a bit. If I'm off base here please let me know.      :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

JohnG28

If theyre numers are true then that would seem to make sense to me. :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

windthrown

Quote from: timber tramp on March 12, 2010, 10:51:01 AM
  The max flow air filter kit claims to increase air flow from 89cfm to 135cfm. I figure if that's true, that along with an easier breathing exhaust, it should increase the saws output quite a bit. If I'm off base here please let me know.      :) TT

If that is the case, that AF leans out the saw. More air = leaner running = hotter engine = scoring. If you do not richen up the carb, you will burn up the saw. Not saying that better air flow or the AF is a bad thing, but it can lead to bad things happening if you do not re-tune the carb. However one word of caution about thin air filters; they can let more crap into the engine. I have seen that on some off-road vehicles that let too much dust into the engine and they get damaged. Fine sawdust seems to burn OK. But 'regular' old dust is something that you do not want in there. The same can be said for opening up the muffler. After a muffler mod, you have to retune the carb. Actually it took a lot of dialing out the H screw after I added my DP muffler cover on my 044. That thing wanted to scream lean (plug was white). Make sure that they burple/4-stroke at WOT unloaded after any modification to the air flow.

Now after all this talk I have to go play with my 044... I realized that I have a better air cleaner from my DOA 066 that will fit on there. Not that my 044 seems to lack any power. But... it might have a few specs of carbon build up as well. Then of course I may have to take it apart again and open up the ports just a tad more. There is a good thread going on another forum where a guy stripped down an 044 and ported it for another guy up in Canada. Good photos of intake and exhaust porting, and piston window dressing.

Red 93 L1 #3383

Quote from: windthrown on March 11, 2010, 05:06:47 PM

Does the 064AV use the same daul port cover as the 066?  If not anyone have the correct number.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Al_Smith

Just put another hole in the one you have  already . The IPL for that saw lists about three of the covers but Stihl is rather vague the way they list things so it's hard to know exactly what is what .Clear as mud .

windthrown

Quote from: Red 93 L1 #3383 on March 14, 2010, 07:50:20 PM
Quote from: windthrown on March 11, 2010, 05:06:47 PM

Does the 064AV use the same daul port cover as the 066?  If not anyone have the correct number.

I dunno. I do not have an IPL for the 064, only the 066 and 660.

clairmont

hi needs a good porter for working saw in ontario or quebec thanks

Benelli777

Good evening guys,

I am new on Forestery Forum.

I will also ask if any of you knowledgable gents in ontario or Quebec that could do a full woods port for my 562xp. It already has a gutted/piped muffler from Homelite410.

It costed me a fortune to ship my 545 to Tennesse !

For me a woods port is done to gain substantial torque in a work saw 

Thanks

J-F  :)

John Mc

You might contact Ed Hill (EHP here on the Forestry Forum) about the woods porting. I'm thinking he's in Simcoe, Ont, if I recall correctly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Ed Heard not Hill .

I don't know if "Timber Wolf" ,Brian W. still tinkers with saws or not ,he's some place in Ont .

Tell you what happened , many who once did got fed up with the internet hoopla and don't even advertise on the net any more for porting work .It got to the point it was pathetic . As for me I know how,maybe not the best but the sun would rise in the west before old grumpy Al ever did work for anybody over the net .I don't have the time,darned sure don't need the money and won't put up with the nonsense .

Benelli777

Thanks for the help.

I new at this internet thing to, even if I am 37. I am kind of old school.

I can understand people getting tired of customers calling back because their ported saw did not cut white oak with teir dull chain like it was butter

I am looking to encourage a fellow Canadian and get a good working saw in return of payment. Not a GTG saw just a strong saw that will last me a long time with a diet of ethanol free gas and Motul 710

I am going to try ask mister EHP (Ed) if is willing to help me. I do not want anybody to get to worked up over this

Thanks

J-F

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 21, 2016, 06:59:14 PM
Ed Heard not Hill .

Oops... I know an Ed Hill, so that's what always sticks in my mind.

If you are in his area, you could deal in person, rather than over the internet.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

CR888

There is nothing wrong with a stock 562xp with a homelite muffler. A properly ported saw can be awesome but their are probably more poorly ported saws out there than good ones. Everyone will tell you how amazing their ported saw is, not many are really qualified to properly judge. You can just as easily end up with a worse saw than a better one. Good luck & be skeptical about what is stated as fact on the Internet's.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Benelli777 on March 21, 2016, 07:55:56 PM
Thanks for the help.

I am looking to encourage a fellow Canadian and get a good working saw in return of payment. Not a GTG saw just a strong saw that will last me a long time with a diet of ethanol free gas and Motul 710

I am going to try ask mister EHP (Ed) if is willing to help me. I do not want anybody to get to worked up over this

Thanks

J-F
Ed builds a strong saw,I've ran some he reworked .

You mentioned cookie cutters ,GTG saws. Because that stuff was popular about 6-8-10 years ago .High ported and would scream. Made for cutting cants but not wood with the bark still on it .They'd cut real wood you just had to let them have tier head ,drop the reins so to speak .You couldn't  lean on them hard because they'd fall flat .That trend seems to have gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

XP_Slinger

Ed has been generously sharing information with me on a 372 thread here.  I attempted porting just for the challenge of learning how to do it PROPERLY.  I wasn't dissatisfied with my saw, but being that I am a wrench turning kind of fella I decided to give it a try.  It takes a lot more than just a dremel and a steady hand, I can't even count the hours of reading I did before I put a burr to my cylinder.  Now, my saw is not as strong as one of Eds but it IS stronger than it was stock and I am pleased with the results.  These results were only gained through taking my 2 stroke knowledge up another level, which again was greatly aided by guys like Ed, Spike60, Weimedog and a few others. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

ehp

thanks guys but sorry I'm not interested at this time , got way to much stuff on the go

ehp

Al the new stratos saws make more torque when ported . The different intake and transfers make you go after torque compared to the older engines from before

Benelli777

mister Ed you really seem to know a LOT on those small engines.

I do not understand half of it tough. Lol!

I am sending my saw to Misouri next week as mister Randy (Mastemind) is booked tight and Scott kunz had a heart attack

I just would have like to buy from my country.  We have a rich history in logging. Hell the country's economy was based on it for a long time.

I Really enjoy reading Forestery Forum. And yes the thread on 372xp modding is facinating. Just to complicated for me right now

XP_Slinger

Quote from: Benelli777 on March 24, 2016, 06:17:49 PM
mister Ed you really seem to know a LOT on those small engines.

I do not understand half of it tough. Lol!

I am sending my saw to Misouri next week as mister Randy (Mastemind) is booked tight and Scott kunz had a heart attack

I just would have like to buy from my country.  We have a rich history in logging. Hell the country's economy was based on it for a long time.

I Really enjoy reading Forestery Forum. And yes the thread on 372xp modding is facinating. Just to complicated for me right now

It starts with interest and before you know it you'll be posting pics and videos of your first build...lol. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Hartman

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 04, 2010, 07:04:51 AM
I've bought porting work from several builders over the years and have learned that nothing is guaranteed except inconsistency. I've had a couple exceptional saws, several duds and most have had modest gains but not as much as I expected. I guess the couple of exceptional saws have ruined me. Most of the builders I've dealt with (after following them on these forums) have horrible turnaround times. 6-8 weeks is average and sometimes your saw can disappear for several months, then you are the bad guy when you complain. I've weeded through a lot of saws (and builders) and finally have every saw in my arsenal ported and performing to my satisfaction. It hasn't been cheap or quick.

I have high hopes for the latest builder I've used. He did a very nice job on my 395xp last year and was thorough and prompt with it. I like the fact that he's a perfectionist. Unfortunately he's in Ontario, Canada so the shipping back and forth isn't cheap, and using UPS isn't an option due to Customs duties and taxes. But considering what my saws earn me over their lifetime, a few dollars shipping is nothing.
Could I get some info on this builder from Ontario? I too are from ontario and want to get some potting done to my 372xp and 390xp

Thank You Sponsors!