iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water in starter on 4-53

Started by jd540b, December 29, 2012, 08:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Has anyone ever had trouble with water in their starter on a 4-53?  Mine kept freezing, would have to put heat to it and thaw to start.  Finally took it off and had a bunch of water in it.  Dried it out by the wood stove and will put back on tomorrow.  Can't for the life of me figure where water came from????

thecfarm

Could you drill a hole in it to let the water out,if it happens again? Water won't be getting in it for a while now. I have no idea where a starter is on a 4-53,but could Sandy with the wind and rain drove some water into the starter. Is this the first time? Had the machine for a while?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doghunter

I had the same problem with the starter on a 353 on my knuckleboom. Took it apart rebuilt it and sealed it as best i could it still collected water from somewhere.I made a side cover for the power unit from a truck mud flap and removed a plug from the bottom of the bell housing(it seemed to condense water in there) solved the problem never did figure exactly where the water got in.
doghunter

jocco

That is a common problem :o yes drill a hole ( be carful of the fields) Some of those had seals on each end of casing. Not sure but thought some of it was condensation?? Not only detroit seen it in many starters.
You may check out but you will never leave

jd540b

Well, dried out the starter and put it back on Monday, ran it all day-no prob.  Got to woodlot this morning (-10 degrees)-FINALLY....and the dang thing was frozen solid again.  Took it off and full of water.  All I can figure is there is some water down in the flywheel housing that's getting spun around by the flywheel and getting into the starter.  The housing is right solid up against the frame and oil pan, so not way to pull plug or drill hole.  Soooo....I put some antifreeze down there to at least hopefully keep it from freezing every night.  Ground is good and hard though. :)   

beenthere

QuoteTook it off and full of water.

How about taking it off at the end of the day, and if there is water -drain it then??

Puzzling there is no way to drill a hole while it is off that will drain that water.

Hope you remedy the source of the water tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!