iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elm?

Started by moosehunter, April 25, 2023, 02:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Fellow member @Garlic man brought this log to the mill last Saturday.

We could not figure out what it is.
Today he sent a picture of leaves on a tree next to this one.

Google says Elm. What do you think?
mh

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

The leaves say elm. The wide growth rings have me thinking I've seen that before but can not remember when. I have some elm drying at the yard and will look at . 
elm usually grows in the wide open so it makes sense for the wide growth rings. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

For me the leaves as well as the stems say "not Elm".  Those ½" fast growing growth rings are also troublesome for me and says "not Elm".  I see it more as an ornamental non-lumber tree.

I have been very wrong before.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Not elm or hackberry.

Here are some lumber and end grain photos of hackberry. Would be similar to elm with that wavy pattern of the late-wood pores.

Hackberry | The Wood Database (Hardwood)

red elm

Red Elm | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

English Elm, Ulmus procera?

It can grow fast in the right climate, and might be planted as an ornamental.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Not seeing the elm grain for English elm or any other, but could be the photos. And leaves look too symmetrical to be elm. They have the serrations, but so doesn't beech, birch, ironwood, and chestnut oak. It looks like the tree had issues and a lot of staining in the wood.
This is a yard tree, so will be a fast grower because it has a chance of growing a huge crown. For instance, you get wide ringed sugar maple in a yard but in the forest barely 1/8" wide.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

SD you made me think that maybe it is the Chinese Elm, ornament, or used as a hedge?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I wonder if even Chinese Elm would have those green translucent looking stems??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 26, 2023, 08:12:25 AM
SD you made me think that maybe it is the Chinese Elm, ornament, or used as a hedge?
Possibly by the leaves. These are newly emerged looking, so not as dark as later on. Chinese elm has orange inner bark I believe, not seeing it.

moosehunter

Could well have been an ornamental tree. It came from the yard at a local high school.
mh

moosehunter

The following is from a friend that is a Forester for Cornell university:

Looks like slippery (aka red elm). It appears the buds are dark on a light colored twig, and the layers of the bark are alternating light and dark brown. American (aka white) elm has brown buds on a brown twig and the bark has alternating white and brown layers

mh

SwampDonkey

Here's some red elm lumber photos. Does your end grain look wavy like in these photos because I can't see in the photo presented. It will not be hard to see. The devil is in close up photos. Your friend probably has lots of experience with the lumber if he is that sure. Just not seeing a wide variance in reds and browns in any lumber photos I see.

Red Elm | The Wood Database (Hardwood)

Used to American elm up here and that bark there in your photo is nothing like our elms. Ours has long thin bark flakes. Young bark has stripes.

E.Schamell

Based on the small leaves, wide growth rings and wood color I'm going with Siberian elm, a commonly planted (and weedy) urban tree in many areas. Of course, at the time the picture was taken the leaves may not have been fully developed and I could be way off base here. 
Huskihl Stihl 029 Super
Stihl MS170
Echo CS400
Echo CS370
Poulan Pro 4218
County Line 25 ton

Firewood geek, American chestnut enthusiast.

justchips

Quote from: moosehunter on April 25, 2023, 02:40:45 PM
Fellow member @Garlic man brought this log to the mill last Saturday.

We could not figure out what it is.
Today he sent a picture of leaves on a tree next to this one.

Google says Elm. What do you think?
mh
i like the way that board looks. like the red in in.

Thank You Sponsors!